Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Stephen Frears

Marc
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think a forum on pre-Code films would be great fun.

Nancy, we have very different concepts of "great fun".

Though, I did recently screen "Trouble In Paradise" which is pre-code. And it was "great fun". And sexy.
Marc
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
Let me re-phrase what I said above. I have many films that were made before
the censors created a "code". But, those films, because of content, are not considered "pre-code" even though they were made before the code was instituted. When we refer to "pre-code" films we are discussing films that were made prior to the code that would have been considered too racy after the code was instituted.
Syd
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Oddly enough, Korean films are getting more accessible. But Chinese, Japanese or Hong Kong action films are more available.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
I am screening a Korean film tomorrow night at my theater: A BITTERSWEET LIFE.
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
bocce wrote:

there was no point in asking. it's a loser in terms of participation...little to no access to the films. it's kind of like you or gromit wanting a korean film forum...be realistic...

I might have mentioned that Korean films are popular these days, but for the record, I watch very few and am not big on recent Asian film. Wouldn't mind following a discussion on it, but I'd have little or nothing to add.

Pre-code films sounds good to me, but I agree that availability would likely be a stumbling block. The forgotten Hollywood Vol. 1 is great, and volume 2 due out next month, I think.

I would try for a more expansive topic like say 30's cinema, which could include discussion of early talkies, musicals, pre-code racy films, gangster films, stars of the era, etc.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
I suggest we find a topic
that allows for easy access to films that involve subjects or artists that are generally known by the majority of our members. Perhaps a decade: the sixties or seventies. Or how about American indie classics, ie. the films of John Casavettes. Billy will love that.

NOW, we're making some progress...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #140----and they just keep piling up...
gromit
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
American indie films: Maya Deren; The Little Fugitive; Cassavetes, Shirley Clarke, etc. sounds good. Only thing for me is I went thru most of that about 2 years back. Would very much like to see David Holzman's Diary and Nighthawks, but they haven't turned up my way.

Another idea might be to pick a studio and follow it from infancy to demise/present. Or pick a cut-off point such as 1970.
I've never really approached Hollywood films that way, but most studios had an identifiable fingerprint, stars plus loaned stars on occasion, powerful directors and producers, as well as hits, flops, films that nearly bankrupted them, and films that saved the studio.

I dunno, maybe I should just find an online article or a library book, but think it'd be extremely very fun to discuss films from one studio.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
American indie films: Maya Deren; The Little Fugitive; Cassavetes, Shirley Clarke, etc. sounds good. Only thing for me is I went thru most of that about 2 years back. Would very much like to see David Holzman's Diary and Nighthawks, but they haven't turned up my way.

Another idea might be to pick a studio and follow it from infancy to demise/present. Or pick a cut-off point such as 1970.
I've never really approached Hollywood films that way, but most studios had an identifiable fingerprint, stars plus loaned stars on occasion, powerful directors and producers, as well as hits, flops, films that nearly bankrupted them, and films that saved the studio.

I dunno, maybe I should just find an online article or a library book, but think it'd be extremely very fun to discuss films from one studio.

I like both of these ideas. I've seen the indies, but it was ages ago.

The studio idea fascinates me. I did have an opportunity to see movies from the vaults of both MGM and Fox with a VIP friend. It was great fun.

Warners might be a good choice. I wonder if Universal's films would be as bad as their reputation. The classics by Ulmer (and later Sirk) being an exception.
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
mo_flixx wrote:
gromit wrote:

I like both of these ideas. I've seen the indies, but it was ages ago.

The studio idea fascinates me. I did have an opportunity to see movies from the vaults of both MGM and Fox with a VIP friend. It was great fun.

Warners might be a good choice. I wonder if Universal's films would be as bad as their reputation. The classics by Ulmer (and later Sirk) being an exception.

There was a really good book I read a few years back about the studio system. I have to dig the information up at home (I made copies of a few sections), but maybe films of the studio era? Maybe four weeks, with a couple films from a different studio each week?

Not so odd that Korean films are becoming available - there's been a HUGE cultural movement in Asia around them over the course of the decade. The cultural movement hasn't made it to the West in anything close to its Asian impact, but an increase in their accessibility is a reflection of what's been happening. (The whole thing behind Rain, Time's online poll, and the Stephen Colbert video is another part of that - and in fact, Rain is making his second Hollywood film, his first being a part in Speed Racer.)

mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Hong Kong John Woo anyone??

I just rented a really good 2-disc set of HARDBOILED, his last HK film before he came to America. Very high quality with excellent commentaries & extras. Even a visit to the various HK locations.

Interesting to see this film today because you can pick out all the shots from Woo that have become action movie cliches.

The references from the commentator (he's an enclopedia of HK films and knows the minutest of details of all the actors) made me want to look at Woo's HK films. I'm sure I've seen some but sporadically...and I've never been able to do a good job keeping track of all the HK films.
Marc
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Woo's THE KILLERS and BULLET IN THE HEAD are terrific.
lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
bocce wrote:
that's the biggest problem with you guys. you make unreasonable propositions, self fulllfilling failures and, then, wonder why we stagnate...

So... I just did a quick check of online availability of precode film. (TCM just put out their second pre-code box, and I just don't see them doing that if there were no demand for it.)

I used a combination of the films listed in Bright Light Film Journal's listing of pre-code Warner Bros films, Wikipedia, and things I've come across as pre-code over time. I then checked these against Amazon.com (red), Netflix (blue), and Blockbuster (green), to find out availability.

- The Bitter Tea of General Yen (yes / used)
- Forty-Second Street (yes / yes / yes)
- Trouble in Paradise (yes / yes / yes)
- Baby Face (yes / yes)
- Red-Headed Woman (yes / yes)
- Night Nurse (yes / yes / yes)
- Love Me Tonight (yes / yes / yes)
- Hell's Angels (yes / yes / yes)
- The Blue Angel (yes / yes / yes)
- The Scarlet Empress (yes / yes / yes)
- Of Human Bondage (yes / yes / yes)
- I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (yes / yes / yes)
- The Mayor of Hell (yes / ??? / 3/25)
- Public Enemy (yes / yes / yes)
- Female (yes / ??? / yes)

Fifteen films, all available. Most restrictive case (Blockbuster), 12 films. This is more than enough to have a forum. And you can always take a poll beforehand to verify anyone interested in the forum can get their hands on the movies (which is what I did with Silents, and which was done with Fellini).

This was a quick check, and doesn't include movies like Blonde Venus, Freaks, Grand Hotel, Mask of Fu Manchu, Dinner at Eight, Animal Crackers... But even if you wanted to just use the two TCM boxes - that's seven films there, all available.

So I totally don't agree that "these films are not available."

It may be that you're not interested in the topic, which is completely different, but this is doable. And - it's about learning something, anyway.

lady wakasa
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:44 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Hong Kong John Woo anyone??

I would check in with an HK John Woo forum, although I'm not sure how much I'd be able to contribute. I don't know much about the HK crime dramas.

mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
More on Woo & HARDBOILED --

Forgot to mention this. The interview with Woo (an extra) is VERY hard to understand because Woo has such a strong accent, but he delights in telling about the REAL special effects (no CGI). For example, Tony Leung got glass shards in his eye from a long take shootout with real glass windows. The poor guy was laid up for a week.
Chow Yun-Fat had to outrun a _real_ fireball and ended up with singed hair and clothing!

sorry - this is probably in the wrong forum...
mo_flixx
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good, Lady. I'm interested tho' I've seen a fair number of the films - but long ago.

I read in USA TODAY that the second box of FORBIDDEN CINEMA is out. I don't know if this is a doc. or what.