Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

tirebiter
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter how it's reported-- Fox knows that the photo of Obama in a turban is enough to tell their viewers all they need to know. His middle name is HUSSEIN! He wears a TURBAN! He's HALF BLACK!

Any sensible Fox viewer knows how to add those up....
inlareviewer
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
(sidling in for a diet refill, more popcorn, a corn dog and some gummi bears)
Jynx wrote:
Quote:
By the way, Jynx........I noticed your absence during the Blanches. Sorry you had to miss.

Thanks, brief but toturous illness. What's up ... are they posted ... who won? I see they're locked.

Jynx wrote:
Thanks Nancy but I scrolled back 5 pages and still didn't see the winners. The last post is by lorne on Sunday the 24th at 10:49 pm.

Anyone? anyone?
Jynx, sweetieboots, hope you're feeling better, push fluids. The Blanche Awards presentation is in the Specialty Forums archives; post-lockdown trickle-down Racso and Blanche after-comments are sprinkled amid Current Film stuffs. Blanche rules, Third Eye rocks. Back to the moovees.

http://www.thirdeyefilm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59

(sidling out from the condiments counter, snacks in hand)

Last edited by inlareviewer on Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
What if after we leave Iraq, the Al Qaeda returns and takes it over?

Sounds like the domino theory during the Viet Nam war.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:

Well, if we stay or leave, Iraq is lost. I really don't think anyone except McCain thinks the war is actually winnable in Iraq.

Leaving Iraq, fighting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and then doing Al Qaeda cleanup in Iraq may be the best plan.

Melody
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Mo asked someone to explain the Texas caucus double-vote system. Here's the best explanation I could find:

http://www.texasobserver.org/article.php?aid=2697

How the Texas Caucus Works
Forrest Wilder | February 22, 2008 | Features

The 42 at-large delegates are selected through a three-month, three-tier caucus convention system that starts at the precinct level on primary night and ends at the state convention in June. Here is how the mind-bogglingly complex Texas caucus system works. Clip this out, take it with you to the polls, or, better yet, put it on your refrigerator as a monument to the wisdom of the Texas Democratic Party.

1. At 7:15 p.m. or thereabouts on March 4, after the polls close, those who voted in the Democratic primary and want to participate in a caucus will gather at a designated location, usually their precinct polling places.

2. The first order of business is for participants to sign in with their name, address, and voter ID number, and identify their presidential preferences or “uncommitted” status.

3. The chair announces the number of people committed to each candidate, as well as those “uncommitted.” (Each precinct receives one delegate for every 15 votes for Chris Bell in 2006.) Now, someone with a math degree calculates the number of precinct delegates allocated to each candidate. For example, if the precinct is entitled to 10 delegates and 60 people sign in for Hillary Clinton and 40 for Barack Obama, that precinct will send six Clinton delegates and four Obama delegates to the senatorial district convention. Note: A candidate must meet a certain threshold (calculated using the Party’s “E-Z Math Formula to Determine Threshold”) of supporters to have a “viable” caucus.

4. Individuals committed to a particular candidate break into separate caucuses to vote on who gets to attend the senatorial district convention as delegates or alternates. Individuals may nominate themselves or others.

5. This concludes the presidential portion of the precinct convention. Participants may now vote on resolutions or committee reports, or hit the nearest bar.

It then goes on to explain the county and senatorial conventions, where it's decided who goes to the state convention, and then from there to the national convention.

The "double vote" comes from how many folks show up for each candidate at the caucuses Tuesday night to divide up the precinct delegate votes.

As a matter of fact, I got a call yesterday from a Hillary campaign worker who asked if I would consider representing Hillary at my precinct caucus. I told her yes, I believed I would.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
thanks inlare you're peachy keen jellybean.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
thanks inlare you're peachy keen jellybean.

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
You can read about Dick Tuck (the original dirty trickster - AND that's his real name) at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tuck

His pranks (more akin to fratboy hijinks really) pale in comparison to Rove's.

I was confusing him with Donald Segretti. [Oh the embarrassment.]
Nancy
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Just for a change of pace -- a friend sent me this link. It's hilarious. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRSuYIL1zc

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Ghulam wrote:

Well, if we stay or leave, Iraq is lost. I really don't think anyone except McCain thinks the war is actually winnable in Iraq.

Leaving Iraq, fighting Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and then doing Al Qaeda cleanup in Iraq may be the best plan.

Whoever gets the most oil wins!
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
Just for a change of pace -- a friend sent me this link. It's hilarious. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmRSuYIL1zc

A hoot! Have you seen "Sudoku-Girl?"

Wink
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks Melody for the TX caucus info.

I can't quite figure out the NM caucus deal...I mean it's not a true caucus. All you do is show up and vote like any other election.

I think they call it a caucus because the Dem Party runs it (poorly), not the state bureau of elections. They did this to move the Pres. vote up from all the other June primaries.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Time Magazine's cover story this week talks about how "experience" is overrated as a quality in presidents.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote
Billy, in case my posts about the Dem. race weren't clear; I have no complaint about your passionate support of Obama, regardless of it seeming a bit over-the-top to me. What I find puzzling is the vitriol against Hillary, who has been a liberal force and a big asset as Senator of your state and the Democratic party in general. To me it seems very divisive. And it also seems to me that the only thing that prompts these feelings you have about the Clintons is the fact that she is running against the candidate that you prefer. I just can't understand your extreme reaction. Even when Imus (one of your favourites Laughing ) calls Hillary, Satan, he is half kidding.
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
Gary--Thanks. The reason I seem to have developed such Hillary hatred is complicated.

First of all, I was put off by her very premature assumption that she had the nomination sewed up and was taking the thing to the bank last fall.

This was fueled by my feeling that she was not only an egomaniac but also delusional in that I already thought Barack Obama was a force to be reckoned with based on his 2004 keynote speech, and she seemed to dismiss him.

Then she started using Bill Clinton as a surrogate and he was completely out of control and, yes, racist.

She began to decompensate quickly and made several completely outrageous comments.

She has lost me--and remember, I used to be a Clinton fan. I feel like a betrayed lover.

Plus, yeah, anyone who knocks Barack is toast with me. Well, not quite. But almost.