Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
Marj wrote:
Is it really just we three? Wow!

Hello *waves hand in the air* I guess my posts on Obama went unread and unnoticed.

Chills--I am so sorry. Really. I was just being attacked for being a loud advocate and Joe and Marj were right there too. You are definitely "one of us."

It's all good.

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Hillary is far from tough. Anyone who could get so worked up over getting asked questions "first," and then reference SNL in a national debate to support herself is not tough.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the biggest asset I have with Obama is that he really comes across as someone who's not afraid to change things. I don't get that same feeling with Hillary. Sure, she's talked about making universal health care standard and many other things that would be good, but I get the impression that she's going to buckle - and not for any other reason other than her being established and not wanting to buck any trends of politics.

Obama doesn't present that fear. He presents a message of going forward, regardless of trend.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
This is the kind of not backing down I like in a candidate. This was from today, while campaigning in Ohio, in response to McCain taking a jab at Obama's expense:

Quote:
"But I have some news for John McCain," Obama added. "There was no such thing as al-Qaida in Iraq until George Bush and John McCain decided to invade Iraq. ... They took their eye off the people who were responsible for 9/11 and that would be al-Qaida in Afghanistan, that is stronger now than at any time since 2001."

and then replied with:

Quote:
Obama said he intended to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq "so we actually start going after al-Qaida in Afghanistan and in the hills of Pakistan like we should have been doing in the first place."

Jynx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Nancy but I scrolled back 5 pages and still didn't see the winners. The last post is by lorne on Sunday the 24th at 10:49 pm.

Anyone? anyone?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I know there are such people, on the other hand, I haven't talked to anyone who's fallen for it, or heard anyone in the press still pushing it. It looks to me like that story was ko'd the minute it was released.

Personally, I don't know how the Republicans are going to treat Obama. In the first place, Hillary's tactics have been so universally decried that the Republicans are really setting themselves up for a fall if they try going down the same path. Secondly, I'm not sure "Republican politics" are the same as "Bush politics." It's really W./Rove who utilized the smear campaign to win two elections. I don't remember Bush Sr., Dole (Bob or Libby), or McCain trying that. I know everyone's poised for the Republicans to play dirty, to "swiftboat" the election. But I'm not sure that's going to happen. And, like I said, even if it was on the agenda, Hillary's failure to succeed via mudslinging might force Republicans into taking it off the table.

Either last night or Monday night, listening to the news, I heard the beginning of a McCain event at which the person introducing him mentioned 'Barack Hussein Obama' and several other things in that vein. (I believe it was the Tyler, TX stop and the person was the mayor, but I haven't found the clip yet). McCain upbraided him for the attack; but it's being said, and by people in his party. (And this is also where the 507 groups have the most effectiveness.)

A coworker mentioned yesterday that she was checking Google News and came across a comment on one of the newsmagazines (I just asked her and she's not sure which, but she said it was something like Time) in which someone went on about Obama being one letter away from Osama and why should we put ourselves in 'danger' like that?

Rove may or may not be doing anything in the background, but he had plenty of students.

You can argue that there are whackjobs out there, and there are - but it's more whether their message gets traction in some form rather than if they're out there.

And ROVE is one letter away from RAVE as in RAVING MANIAC!
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
You can read about Dick Tuck (the original dirty trickster - AND that's his real name) at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Tuck

His pranks (more akin to fratboy hijinks really) pale in comparison to Rove's.
Rod
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
William Buckley's death sent me scurrying back into my copy of The Presidential Papers, where Mailer recounted a public debate he had with Buckley in 1962. The subject of the debate was "The Real Meaning of the Right Wing in America", and Mailer's postscript, devastatingly accurate, ran so:

Quote:
"Since Buckley had used his prior half hour to attack some figures on the Left...his point could be fixed as precisely this: the nature of the Right Wing is to attack figures on the Left."

'Twas ever thus.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Obama's stated intention to make major changes in the Washington world doesn't convince me that he can actually carry through. He sounds more like someone who doesn't know how difficult making such changes can be. He'll have to make some compromises, and a lot of his current supporters are going to be unhappy. Disenchanted. Disgruntled.

Of course Hillary would just go on making enemies, but she's used to that. My favorite bit of Tina Fey's SNL speech was her declaration that yes she's a bitch, and so am I, and so is Amy, and we're proud of it! Bitches get things done!
Earl
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Marj wrote:

Hello *waves hand in the air* I guess my posts on Obama went unread and unnoticed.

Also waving my hand and wondering if my pro-Obama posts have gone the "Bruce Willis in Sixth Sense" route. Maybe I should wait until you're all asleep and whisper it to you.

Last edited by Earl on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Obama's stated intention to make major changes in the Washington My favorite bit of Tina Fey's SNL speech was her declaration that yes she's a bitch, and so am I, and so is Amy, and we're proud of it! Bitches get things done!

I would have liked that better if it hadn't been followed with a straight, non-ironic, seemingly heartfelt editorial in favor of Clinton.

(I would have felt the same way, btw, if Fey had done the same thing with Obama. SNL is not the place for straight editorializing.)
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
Marj wrote:

Also waving my hand and wondering if my pro-Obama posts have gone the "Bruce Willis in Sixth Sense" route.

I know your an Obama supporter, too, Earl.

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
You can read about Dick Tuck (the original dirty trickster - AND that's his real name)

*queue Beavis and Butthead snickering*

Earl
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
I was glad to see Hillary apologize for her vote last night. Still, I think it may be too little, too late.

I didn't see the whole debate last night, only the first 45 minutes or so. Are you talking about her vote for the Iraq War? Did she actually admit she was wrong to vote that way? Or was it her usual, lame, "I trusted President Bush to give diplomacy a chance--I was misled" routine. Because seriously, if she has finally admitted her massive mistake in voting that way, my respect for her might have grown a little.

I'm gonna have to find a transcript of the debate.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
....If his name and the Muslim connection aren't enough, they'll invent something else that a lot of gullible people will believe when they hear it repeated a hundred times on Fox News. I worry.
Fox News reported the Somali costume story accurately and responsibly.