Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

Joe and Marj and I have been the pilloried ones on this forum, for having the audacity to back a relative political newcomer.

(Read: "in eight years or so.")

Its not your support of Obama that is so repugnant but your willingness to sling so much vitriol and mud at the other democratic candidate - but you know that and are just perpetuating your favorite myth or rather spin

For the record, I don't feel pillaried. I think people have been pretty good about not making this personal, even when we disagree. And I'll acknowledge openly that I harbor a dislike for Hillary close to detestation. But I'll also point out that not even a year ago I was saying good things about her and claiming she'd likely get my vote. She's caused the bile because she's the one who resorted to dirty politics.

-Topher
Trish
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Marilyn for posting that - its is not my (and others) imagination
Befade
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He's a totally different candidate than Kerry. Look at how he responded immediately to charges that he lacked patriotism. He has a strength Kerry lacked, as well as an ability to respond, then dismiss, the situation.

Joe, I agree. Obama has a cool demeanor. He doesn't get defensive, he gets deflective. Comes across as emotionally mature. Which, Hillary did not last night. Comparing her demeanor to the previous debate's. Her face seemed rigid and icy thin. No smiles for O last night. I like that Obama can look at her without smiling, or smirking, or rolling his eyes. I don't trust the smiles........same with McCain's when he's talking to his "friends".

About a year ago I got an e-mail from a friend that basically said "Beware of the Muslim Obama." I was upset and asked my friend about it. I guess she's one of those people who pass on e-mails to everyone without reading or thinking about them. I, too hope Obama will clarify his Muslim roots. (His Kenyan grandfather was Muslim. He was named for his father. His Indonesian step-father was more of a drunk than a Muslim.)
And his minister is with The United Church of Christ which is the most progressive Christian denomination. The minister appears to be some kind of an activist whose moves would NOT be supported by the denomination.

Gary.......just because I like Obama does not mean I'm unfamiliar with the danger of being a True Believer (see Eric Hoffer). Just because I'm not fond of Hillary doesn't mean I wouldn't support a woman president. AZ has a wonderful Democratic governor (Janet Napolitano) that I'm going to bet will be on the national scene in the future.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
nm

Last edited by Marilyn on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
By the way, Jynx........I noticed your absence during the Blanches. Sorry you had to miss.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that the media is setting up Obama to be the candidate, and the Republicans are compiling ways to crush him like a bug. If his name and the Muslim connection aren't enough, they'll invent something else that a lot of gullible people will believe when they hear it repeated a hundred times on Fox News. I worry.
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone explain this to me about the weird voting with the Texas primary?? Thanks.

Most Texas voters don't know about the unusual
> primary-plus-caucus
> system in Texas, which allows voters to vote twice and double
> their
> impact.
> If we can get our 125,000 MoveOn members in Texas (plus
> hundreds of
> thousands of others we'll be calling) to flood primary and
> caucus
> locations, Obama will win big. But it's up to us to make sure
> everyone
> knows how the system works.
>
>
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
He doesn't get defensive, he gets deflective.

That's a great way to put it.

-Topher
Nancy
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Bill Clinton managed to be both macho and liberal, for the most part. But his wife is having a problem with the balance, trying too hard to stretch both ways.

You said what I was trying to think of earlier. Bill knew how to be both.

Bill was ALLOWED to be both, there's a difference

Damn right. And so far, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Obama has the necessary toughness to be President. I do see it in Hillary.

Isaacism, 2009
mo_flixx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:
Trish wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Bill Clinton managed to be both macho and liberal, for the most part. But his wife is having a problem with the balance, trying too hard to stretch both ways.

You said what I was trying to think of earlier. Bill knew how to be both.

Bill was ALLOWED to be both, there's a difference

Damn right. And so far, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Obama has the necessary toughness to be President. I do see it in Hillary.

I'm not sure I'd call it toughness. Sometimes it seems more like spitefulness and vindictiveness. I hope I'm wrong about this.
Jynx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way, Jynx........I noticed your absence during the Blanches. Sorry you had to miss.

Thanks, brief but toturous illness. What's up ... are they posted ... who won? I see they're locked.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Nancy wrote:

Toughness... what kind of toughness are we talking about? I think Hillary could be tough, but would she back down to someone she didn't want to offend or back down if it meant a decision she needed to make didn't go along with the majority?

If she makes it into office, I certainly hope we see some change. I really don't want Republican business as usual from a Democrat.

lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Befade wrote:
AZ has a wonderful Democratic governor (Janet Napolitano) that I'm going to bet will be on the national scene in the future.

She was on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me a few weeks ago. She liked to take over the show - it was funny. But I think she lost.

Apropos of nothing...

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Marj wrote:
Is it really just we three? Wow!

Hello *waves hand in the air* I guess my posts on Obama went unread and unnoticed.

Chills--I am so sorry. Really. I was just being attacked for being a loud advocate and Joe and Marj were right there too. You are definitely "one of us."
Nancy
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Jynx wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, brief but toturous illness. What's up ... are they posted ... who won? I see they're locked.

Jynx-

You should be able to look at the posts in there, and the winners. You'll just have to post your comments on the Blanches in one of the other forums.

Isaacism, 2009