Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Joe Vitus wrote:
I know there are such people, on the other hand, I haven't talked to anyone who's fallen for it, or heard anyone in the press still pushing it. It looks to me like that story was ko'd the minute it was released.

Personally, I don't know how the Republicans are going to treat Obama. In the first place, Hillary's tactics have been so universally decried that the Republicans are really setting themselves up for a fall if they try going down the same path. Secondly, I'm not sure "Republican politics" are the same as "Bush politics." It's really W./Rove who utilized the smear campaign to win two elections. I don't remember Bush Sr., Dole (Bob or Libby), or McCain trying that. I know everyone's poised for the Republicans to play dirty, to "swiftboat" the election. But I'm not sure that's going to happen. And, like I said, even if it was on the agenda, Hillary's failure to succeed via mudslinging might force Republicans into taking it off the table.

Either last night or Monday night, listening to the news, I heard the beginning of a McCain event at which the person introducing him mentioned 'Barack Hussein Obama' and several other things in that vein. (I believe it was the Tyler, TX stop and the person was the mayor, but I haven't found the clip yet). McCain upbraided him for the attack; but it's being said, and by people in his party. (And this is also where the 507 groups have the most effectiveness.)

A coworker mentioned yesterday that she was checking Google News and came across a comment on one of the newsmagazines (I just asked her and she's not sure which, but she said it was something like Time) in which someone went on about Obama being one letter away from Osama and why should we put ourselves in 'danger' like that?

Rove may or may not be doing anything in the background, but he had plenty of students.

You can argue that there are whackjobs out there, and there are - but it's more whether their message gets traction in some form rather than if they're out there.

lady wakasa
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
whiskeypriest wrote:
Understand yesterday was the template, if you were paying attention. Some rabid right wing jackboot went of on Obama and McCain responded by apologizing. That's what will happen in the General Election; the attack will come from the "unaffiliated" right and McCain will take the hgih road. But that low road is going to be worked, and worked hard, in McCain's favor.

That's probably the clip I heard. It was definitely whoever was called in to introduce McCain.

Marilyn
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
It was Bill Cunningham, a talk radio host in Cincinnati.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Marj, i read the posts and Billy said that he wasn't being objective. I was just saying I didn't think that was a good way to be regardless of your preference. I know you said that your personal experience with your mother might be colouring your attitude toward Hillary's actions and I agreed with you.

but the question about his (fairly close) relationship with his (fairly unconventional) minister pretty much isn’t.

A rather polite way of putting it. Laughing
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:

Either last night or Monday night, listening to the news, I heard the beginning of a McCain event at which the person introducing him mentioned 'Barack Hussein Obama' and several other things in that vein. (I believe it was the Tyler, TX stop and the person was the mayor, but I haven't found the clip yet). McCain upbraided him for the attack; but it's being said, and by people in his party. (And this is also where the 507 groups have the most effectiveness.)

A coworker mentioned yesterday that she was checking Google News and came across a comment on one of the newsmagazines (I just asked her and she's not sure which, but she said it was something like Time) in which someone went on about Obama being one letter away from Osama and why should we put ourselves in 'danger' like that?

Rove may or may not be doing anything in the background, but he had plenty of students.

You can argue that there are whackjobs out there, and there are - but it's more whether their message gets traction in some form rather than if they're out there.

I didn't realise this, so I appreciate the info. Sucks about McCain. Well, there goes what little respect I had left for the man.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
Joe Vitus wrote:
I should follow that post by saying my mom just told me he was dead, but I can't find info when I google it. So treat that post with caution.

Sorry to hear about Buckley.

As for Gore Vidal, I've not seen anything on him as of yet. He and Buckley are/were the same age.

Dead People Server and Wikipedia have nothing on Vidal. Maybe he was mentioned in Buckley's obituary and that caused the confusion.

Maybe. Sorry for the confusion.

-Topher
Jynx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, been out ill, but I watched the debate in Cleveland last night (right around the corner from Nowheresville) and I have to say, Obama was the winner. Watching Clinton was like watching someone pick at a scab, slowly just trying desperatly to get to something, anything. I thought the point about denouncing and rejecting support from Farrakan (sp?) was just stupid. Obama has said from day one he looks down on what he stands for and doesn't accept anything he says or does for his campaign. He made a good point when say he can't help it if someone likes him and does support him.

At least the agreed that McCain is a mistake any which way you throw it down.

Word.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
carrobin wrote:
Bill Clinton managed to be both macho and liberal, for the most part. But his wife is having a problem with the balance, trying too hard to stretch both ways.

You said what I was trying to think of earlier. Bill knew how to be both.

Bill was ALLOWED to be both, there's a difference
Trish
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
I want to point out that Frank Rich in yesterday's column referenced the very same Katie Couric interview that I was castigated here for talking about--the one in which Hillary's hubris first surfaced in all its self-destructive glory. I was told on this forum that she was just displaying a refreshing confidence. Well, I obviously wasn't the only one who thought she was obnoxious in that interview.

see that ISNT what we said - what I said was I thought she was trying to keep a positive "win" mindset (little engine that could ... I think I can I think I can etc) - go back and re-read the posts
Trish
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Trish wrote:

Before there were two there were three - Clinton Obama Edwards and the same shit happened - she was the one attacked - I do not believe it was merely because she was the supposed front-runner - I can't tell you how many anti-Hillary joke emails I got and continue to get - like I said according to this country racism is wrong (which of course I agree) sexism is still okay - its can be joked about, it can be tolerated

I agree with your main point, although a basic tactic is to chop down the frontrunner. But when Hillary was pelted from all sides, very little sympathy resulted.

Shirley Chisholm ran for Prez in 1972 and afterwards she said that she believed she faced more obstacles and discrimination based on gender than race.

again - Who got to vote first?
marantzo
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Agree, trish.

Quote:
I thought the point about denouncing and rejecting support from Farrakan (sp?) was just stupid.

It wasn't stupid to me. And I think it is very important that he finally rejected his support. It took some prodding, but good for him. Just saying that he doesn't agree with him and that he is way off base isn't enough. The guy's a Nazi, you completely wash your hands of people like that. And as Marilyn said he still should get rid of his religious advisor who is little better. These things cause concern and there has to be no doubt where Obama stands on certain things.
Marilyn
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say that. That came from The Daily Howler. But Wright is a very powerful man in Chicago. It won't be that easy.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

Joe and Marj and I have been the pilloried ones on this forum, for having the audacity to back a relative political newcomer.

(Read: "in eight years or so.")

Its not your support of Obama that is so repugnant but your willingness to sling so much vitriol and mud at the other democratic candidate - but you know that and are just perpetuating your favorite myth or rather spin
Jynx
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with your point marantz, he should totally avoid people like that but her saying she was basically better because she rejected as opposed to his denouncing was pointless. I never thought for a moment Obama denounced but accepted anything. It was very clear to me.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Trish"][quote="gromit"]
Trish wrote:

Before there were two there were three - Clinton Obama Edwards and the same shit happened - she was the one attacked - I do not believe it was merely because she was the supposed front-runner

Here's something to support that, again from the indispensable Daily Howler:

"...the first half hour of last night’s debate was stunning. To understand why, let’s think back to October 30, when Tim Russert and his trophy wife, Brian Williams, hosted an earlier Dem debate.

On October 30, Hillary Clinton was the clear front-runner for the Dem nomination. And the natives were getting very restless in certain parts of the press corps’ nature preserve. On Hardball, Chris Matthews had spent the previous week insisting that Barack Obama had to use the coming debate to step up his attacks on Clinton. On Monday, October 29, for example, Matthews began his program by reading a speech attacking Clinton—a speech representing “what I think Obama should say starting tomorrow night at the big MSNBC debate.”

But then, many of Obama’s other supporters felt the way Matthews did. The previous day, the New York Times had run a front-page report under this headline: “Obama promises a forceful stand against Clinton.” ... That’s where Russert and Williams came in.

In the October 30 debate, Williams threw the evening’s first question to Obama. It was—surprise of surprises!—an invitation to attack:

WILLIAMS (10/30/07): Senator Obama, we’ll begin with you. You gave an interview to the New York Times, over the weekend, pledging in it to be more aggressive, to be tougher in your campaign against your chief rival for the nomination, the leader among Democrats so far, Senator Clinton, who is here next to you tonight. To that end, Senator, you said that Senator Clinton was trying to sound Republican, trying to vote Republican on national security issues. And that was, quote, “bad for the country and ultimately bad for the Democrats.” That is a strong charge, as you’re aware. Specifically, what are the issues where you, Senator Obama, and Senator Clinton have differed, where you think she has sounded or voted like a Republican?

There was nothing wrong with that question. But Obama gave a fairly weak reply—an answer that was neither precise nor very responsive. (“Well first of all, I think some of this stuff gets over-hyped,” he began.) No matter! Without follow-up or clarification, Russert turned to John Edwards, asking him to go after Clinton (see THE DAILY HOWLER, 11/2/07). And from that point, the chase was on. Russert and Williams staged what may have been the most remarkable debate in presidential history. The pair went after Clinton all night, with a long string of “opposition research” style questions—questions which were often factually bogus or grossly misleading. Persistently, they questioned Clinton about her bad character—then asked Obama and Edwards to comment. Midway through, things had gotten so absurd that Bill Richardson said he wouldn’t play—but Russert and Williams kept it up for two hours. One thing was clear from the Welch Boys’ display: If Obama wouldn’t go after Clinton, Russert and his trophy wife would.

Afterwards, pundits lined up to say something baldly inaccurate. We always treat the front-runners this way, a long line of fantasists said.

Let’s review. On October 30, Russert and Williams went after Clinton for two solid hours. We always treat front-runners this way, we were told. But omigod! For at least the first half hour of last night’s debate, Russert and Williams did the same damn thing—even though Obama is now the clear Democratic front-runner. They pounded at Clinton—then asked Obama to comment. Here at THE HOWLER, we watched the midnight re-airing of the debate—and, according to our notes, the first substantive question to Obama didn’t occur until 12:27. (Before that, Obama had only been asked to comment on Clinton’s answers.) And the questioning of Obama didn’t last long. At 12:31, Russert posed an overtly hostile question—to Clinton, of course.