Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  The 9th Annual Blanche Awards

Marj
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Kate wrote:
I can't find Lorne's email, so I have PM'd the result to him.

Lorne - let me know if you get it!

Kate

I do hope he does. But just in case, and I'd do this either way, his email address is: lshap@videotron.ca
yambu
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
It no longer matters, Yam. Lorne has them now so you don't need them anymore.
In truth, Marj, I have committed to memory the Best Score winner, so I should be ok through Sunday. But if you're saying you emailed him Best Score, then thank you.
A few days ago Lorne posted all the tabulators' email addresses but his own. I tried PMing him my results, but apparently his inbox is full, because it still hasn't made it out of my outbox. At any rate, he hasn't replied.
Lorne, I would appreciate an acknowledgment of receipt, either by post, email, or PM.
Marj
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
Yam,

Please keep in mind how busy he is? Not only with his own work but also preparing our presentation. I have spoken to him and I know how fast and furiously he's been working to do this for us. And as much as I realize it was a mistake to not include his own email, the important thing is that we will have our awards show, come what may.

Every year has been like this. Well, with the exception of last year. But he never comes to the board when he's trying to get the Blanches ready. And I promise you he has your tally. I know because had they not gotten to him I would have been notified by my server.

And, you're welcome.
yambu
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
.....And I promise you he has your tally. I know because had they not gotten to him I would have been notified by my server.....
Thanks, Marj. I expect a wingding performance from the man Sunday.
Marj
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
You're more than welcome. I'm really looking forward to Sunday too! Very Happy
Syd
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
yambu wrote:
Marj wrote:
It no longer matters, Yam. Lorne has them now so you don't need them anymore.
In truth, Marj, I have committed to memory the Best Score winner, so I should be ok through Sunday. But if you're saying you emailed him Best Score, then thank you.
A few days ago Lorne posted all the tabulators' email addresses but his own. I tried PMing him my results, but apparently his inbox is full, because it still hasn't made it out of my outbox. At any rate, he hasn't replied.
Lorne, I would appreciate an acknowledgment of receipt, either by post, email, or PM.

You can e-mail him by going up to Memberlist. He's at the top of the list.

He hasn't read mine, either, but I suspect he's doing them in order.

Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope Lorne doesn't mind my posting his E-mail address :

Lorne Shapiro Design & Marketing <lshap@videotron.ca>
inlareviewer
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
TWBB Dano Sidebar:

From IMDb:
In an interview on the National Public Radio program "Fresh Air with Terry Gross," Paul Dano told Gross that he had originally been cast in the much smaller role of Paul Sunday, Eli's brother, and another actor [Kel O'Neill] had been cast as Eli. However, after Dano had already started filming his one scene as Paul Sunday, Paul Thomas Anderson decided to replace the actor playing Eli. Anderson then asked Dano to play Eli Sunday (a much bigger role) as well as Paul Sunday, and they decided to change the film to make the brothers identical twins. Anderson asked Dano to play Eli on a Thursday, and filming for the role began four days later, on the next Monday. Daniel Day-Lewis, by contrast, had a whole year to prepare to play Daniel Plainview.

That explains much, if hardly all.

Divinely Loopy Bureau:

Michel Gondry discusses how he would "swede" various Racso-winning films in Be Kind, Rewind-esque remake:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-showbiz7s0222-pg,0,1329412.photogallery

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The story I read somewhere was that Kel O'Neill quit because he was intimidated by Daniel Day-Lewis remaining in character on set.

Here's what DD-L had to say about that in the L.A. Weekly:

http://www.laweekly.com/film+tv/film/daniel-day-lewis-the-way-he-lives-now/17906/?page=3

All this affability makes it hard to believe that, as Hirschberg suggested, Day-Lewis so intimidated an actor on the There Will Be Blood set that Anderson had to replace him with Paul Dano halfway into the 60-day shoot. Day-Lewis seems confused by the story. “When Lynn mentioned that to me, I was genuinely surprised,” he says. “I didn’t believe it. I’d be very, very sorry if that were true. It appalled me to think that it might be true. It would never be my intention. Apart from everything else, it would be self-defeating to intimidate a colleague I was working with. No matter what the rivalry is, even if it’s murderous between those two characters, you’re in a partnership, you’re in a dance of some kind. And it’s absolutely vital that you work together.”

It is true that the actor originally cast in the role of the young evangelical preacher Eli Sunday was recast two months into shooting. But Day-Lewis rejects the idea that his process caused the trouble. “I suppose I always hope there’s some sort of tacit understanding between myself and my colleagues that I work the way I do,” he admits. “I don’t expect them to work in the same way. I don’t mind what way they work in to arrive at what they’re trying to arrive at, as long as it doesn’t interfere with me. And I really try not to interfere with them in any way, and only ever encourage them to do what they need to do to find that thing.”

When I initially let the topic go, he brings the conversation back. “Just to return to that question,” he says, “[the article] also kind of suggested that Leo [DiCaprio, on Gangs of New York]felt the same way about me,and I just don’t think that’s true. Leo is a very strong, independent, serious actor. He’s wonderful. And he knows how it works. He may not have liked me during that time, I don’t know. We get on very, very well. I’m very fond of him. I’ve never discussed it with him. He never suggested to me that I was making his life difficult in any way. And I don’t think I was.”

“Look,” he concludes, “everyone has insecurities. Every single person on the set at one time goes through a moment of black despair about what it is they’re trying to do. They’re all subject to those weighty questions that seem to press us into the ground sometimes. And it’s possible one might be insensitive to the needs of somebody who’s spinning off course, because you’re taken with a fever, just like all those oil prospectors were — all driving forwards.

“All that I ever hope for from any colleague is that when the collision takes place in front of the camera that there’s a recognizable human being there, telling the truth. Speaking, listening, responding. I don’t care how extreme that process is.”

edited to add URL

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote
One more hour of work and then into serious party phase!

I presume the Blanche Awards will be here in the Blanche Awards forum?

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Today on NPR's All Things Considered, someone said that, for the first time, the Academy witheld from its voters clips of best score nominations, on the theory that they didn't want people deciding on the quality of the score itself, but on how it integrated with the film.
inlareviewer
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Melody wrote:
One more hour of work and then into serious party phase!

I presume the Blanche Awards will be here in the Blanche Awards forum?
I certainly hope so, because the LOLL float fashioned from purloined office supplies, flower-shredded copies of The Caucasian Chalk Circle and glitter-savaged bedpans isn't going anywhere else anytime soon, and I still have to go torture-tease my white-streaked hair and squeeze into saddle shoes, 70s bellbottoms and a vintage green dress. Yes, I'm doing gender-f**k eclectique this year. Woo-hoo, it's Blanche Day!

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
We are in Pre-Blanche Lockdown