Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Syd wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
Bill Richardson drops out of the race. Sad, but expected after Iowa and New Hampshire.

I liked a lot of his positions. And his interview in Playboy was really good.

Too bad. I was going to vote for him in our primary.

Some New Mexicans will vote for him anyway on 2/5/08 because his name (along with Dodd and Biden) will be on our ballots.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
I dunno, I thought that, too.

By the time I get to Arizona. . . .

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Isn't the Playboy brand irredeemably naff.

naff... Descriptive or slang?

(Descriptive, meaning, the acronym "Not Available For Fucking")

mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
I dunno, I thought that, too.

By the time I get to Arizona. . . .

Lots of MORMONS in AZ, btw.
gromit
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:40 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
Isn't the Playboy brand irredeemably naff.

Not in China where there are Playboy jackets and shirts, Playboy cigarettes, etc.

As for NH being the last state to have a MLK Day ...
here's what I found:
Quote:
In 1999, New Hampshire changed the name of Civil Rights Day to Martin Luther King, Jr., Day.
It looks like the Civil Rights Day was started in 1991. Arizona dragged its feet big time and finally adopted an MLK Day in 1992 after being threatened with convention and other boycotts. SC was the last state to make MLK Day a paid holiday for state employees.

More from wiki (note Virgina):
Quote:
On January 17, 2000, for the first time, Martin Luther King Day was officially observed in all 50 states.[4] Prior to that New Hampshire and Arizona did not observe the day. Throughout the 1990s this was heavily criticized.

On May 2, 2000, South Carolina governor Jim Hodges signed a bill to make Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday an official state holiday. South Carolina is the last state to recognize the day as a paid holiday for all state employees. Prior to this, employees could choose between celebrating Martin Luther King Day or one of three confederate holidays.[6]

While all states now observe the holiday, some did not name the day after King.

In Utah the holiday was known as "Human Rights Day", until the year 2000 when the Utah State Legislature voted to change the name of the holiday from Human Rights Day to Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. In that same year Governor Michael O. Leavitt signed the bill officially naming the holiday "Martin Luther King, Jr. Day."

In Virginia, the holiday was added on to Lee-Jackson Day, a day meant to honor Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, and became Lee-Jackson-King Day. The incongruous nature of the holiday, which simultaneously celebrated the lives of Confederate Army generals and a civil rights icon, did not escape the notice of Virginia lawmakers. In 2000, a Martin Luther King Day was established in Virginia.

In Arizona and New Hampshire, Martin Luther King Day is known as Martin Luther King, Jr. Civil Rights Day.

Although the day is a federal holiday and a state holiday in all states, it is usually not observed by small private companies except for banks.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:27 am Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Quote:
How could race be a factor in NH? Isn't IA 94% white?

Wade...............NH was the last state to declare Martin Luther King day a holiday........

Heard that the woman who asked Hillary how she does it and brought her to tears...........voted for Obama!

she also said she thought Hillary was totally genuine and that she had caught her off guard

But of course the damn media is playing this thing half to death - it is absolutely possible Hillary would have won the NH Primary without that moment - but everyone in broadcasting is perseverating on this and lamenting about her win, spoiling their planned newsreports annointing Obama as the the new JFK. Poor babies Rolling Eyes

The fact is it is a close race - deal with it
tirebiter
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Jeremy: Love the word "naff"-- completely undefinable in American English. Wasn't it Princess Anne who told someone to "Naff off!"? You Brits-- so lovable.

Re. PLAYBOY: It still occupies an important niche as the great grandfather of all the skinmags and ladmags, and still manages to live up to some of its pretensions to respectibility. The "Playboy Interview" has been providing excellent stuff for something like 50 years now, and pretty much anyone can show up there-- religious figures and authors and actors and ex-Presidents (or would-be Presidents). I myself (ahem) have a file at home with about 2 dozen interviews I clipped from the 60s: Woody Allen (twice), Ken Tynan, Madelyn Murray O'Hair, Paul Krassner, Alan Watts, Tim Leary, Stanley Kubrick, etc. Still good reading all these years later.

The pictures are a different matter-- the women in those days had smaller, less rounded and protuberant breasts for some reason.
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
tirebiter wrote:
The pictures are a different matter-- the women in those days had smaller, less rounded and protuberant breasts for some reason.

Must have something to do with inflation.

I enjoy most of the magazine each month, with several of the articles gaining my immediate interest once the magazine arrives.

mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote
And PLAYBOY's editor is Hefner's DAUGHTER, Chrisitie!
Syd
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
PLAYBOY used to be noted for its science fiction stories, too. And its cartoons, especially Gahan Wilson's.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote
Earl, Billy, Grace, Chilly, Marantzo, Lorne, Joe, Syd, and Nancy -- it's been a real pleasure. You ever need a place to crash in Nebraska, let me know -- nilsonicus@yahoo.com.

Just saying a fond farewell to you here, in case you don't look behind the curtain too often.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
bart wrote:
Earl, Billy, Grace, Chilly, Marantzo, Lorne, Joe, Syd, and Nancy -- it's been a real pleasure. You ever need a place to crash in Nebraska, let me know -- nilsonicus@yahoo.com.

Just saying a fond farewell to you here, in case you don't look behind the curtain too often.

What? Are you leaving again???

Later: checked BTC and get it now. Hmm.
Syd
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
ANNOUNCEMENT

Because of the ongoing writer's strike, this year's Blanche Awards will be presented by mimes.

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Syd wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT

Because of the ongoing writer's strike, this year's Blanche Awards will be presented by mimes.

I'm holding out for twice my usual fee.

Do I look like I'm negotiating?
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I've had a problem with my computer and I thought I'd try to get a solution here, because it baffle two of Toshiba's technicians.

I would listen to Imus In the Morning show on WABC am every weekday morning. A few mornings ago, for some reason I couldn't get their live broadcast anymore. The little live broadcast window would come up and it would say connecting... and then the 'play' arrow would turn white (which means it is stopped playing and there is a little 'ready' is printed above it. This always meant in the past that I'm not connected to the video, audio etc.

This is on my new Toshiba laptop. I tried on my desk top computer and there was no problem whatsoever. I tried another station on my laptop and no problem. I called the Toshiba technicianand we went through every possibility. Setting, rebooting, and system restoring to a time when I had no problem getting the audio. Nothing helped. I had downloaded AVG anti-virus, anti-spyware recently so we uninstalled that. Then we uninstalled MaCafee protection which I hated anyway. We changed my firewall settings, we changed my security settings etc. etc. Nothing worked and finally after about an hour and a half the techie said that he didn't know what would possibly solve this problem or of course, what was causing it. The only thing that I change between the time I last got the broadcast and the time that I got shut out was installing AVG and that wasn't the problem.

If any of you computer people has an idea, don't hesitate to tell me.

By the way Windows Vista, sucks. It is far more loaded with junk and far more unstable than XP and you can't remove any parts of it that you don't want. Changing to XP apparently is a major problem because of the drivers or something. I only have Home Basic so I can only imagine how miserable the more complex versions are.