Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Nancy
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
lady wakasa wrote:
inlareviewer wrote:
Burton and Depp are doing publicity for Sweeney in Japan even as I type this.

Ha! After watching Yaji and Kita - Sweeney Todd seems right up the Japanese alley.

I agree. I'm still trying to get more people to watch Y&K.

Isaacism, 2009
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The characters in JUNO were mouthing some very hip dialogs written by a 30-something chick (Diablo Cody) who knows her pop culture. But, these "characters" were not recognizable human beings to me. They were always "on". Like stand up comics. The dialogs were rapid fire and quick witted but nobody really talks like that. I consider myself pretty fucking hip, but I could never deliver non-stop witty rants like the characters in JUNO. Were these people all on Adderall?
lshap
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Marc,

You summed up my problem with the lead character, Juno, as well as Ellen Page's previous role in Hard Candy. In both cases, too hip by half.

But aside from her I liked the the rest of the cast a lot. Both Jennifer Garner and...um...whatsisname her husband were very good, JK Simmons and Alison Janney were their usual excellent, and erstwhile boyfriend Michael Pena was pitch perfect.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
Marc,

You summed up my problem with the lead character, Juno, as well as Ellen Page's previous role in Hard Candy. In both cases, too hip by half.

But aside from her I liked the the rest of the cast a lot. Both Jennifer Garner and...um...whatsisname her husband were very good, JK Simmons and Alison Janney were their usual excellent, and erstwhile boyfriend Michael Pena was pitch perfect.

boyfriend: Michael Cera
husband: Jason Bateman
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I'm with Marc on this one.

Given all their unquestioning support, shouldn't at least one parent have accompanied Juno to the abortion clinic or found a better one - it was a dump and it was picketed! Boy would I have given Su “Babies want to get borned" Chin something to think about if Juno had been my daughter.

I thought that Juno went to the abortion clinic BEFORE she told her parents. After her visit, she decided NOT to have an abortion and to find adoptive parents in the PENNYSAVER!
Marc
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought that Juno went to the abortion clinic BEFORE she told her parents.

yes.
Befade
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The title, "No Country For Old Men", suggests one angle of a very multifaceted prism. It's hardly the film's single touchstone, and it certainly doesn't singlehandedly transform the story into an ode to old age. Sure, the Tommy Lee Jones subplot (yes, it was a subplot) carried a certain philosophical angst, but the film could've been called "No Haven For The Hunted", or "Sleeping Dogs Lie", or "Sociopath Kills Everyone". It's just a title, as removed from the story as the end credits.

I think it's a great title......in that it expresses what you might think of as a sense of humor. When actually.....there's nothing funny about the goings on in the country refered to. Humor as in "Old age ain't for sissies."

I loved the parents in Juno.....real or not. I think......as I said before.....the writer and former stripper, Diablo Cody was showing off......especially in the beginning: "See how good I am at writing witty dialogue?"
jeremy
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
mo_flixx wrote:
jeremy wrote:
I'm with Marc on this one.

Given all their unquestioning support, shouldn't at least one parent have accompanied Juno to the abortion clinic or found a better one - it was a dump and it was picketed! Boy would I have given Su “Babies want to get borned" Chin something to think about if Juno had been my daughter.

I thought that Juno went to the abortion clinic BEFORE she told her parents. After her visit, she decided NOT to have an abortion and to find adoptive parents in the PENNYSAVER!

My bad, I wasn't thinking straight.

But I'm still uneasy how the 'nip it in the bud' - keep the baby element was framed.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Are any abortion clinics in the least bit like the one in Juno? I doubt it. I was glad at least, how the receptionist was an example of how repulsive puncturing you face with hardware is. Whenever i see displays like that (and it is often), I have to stop myself from saying, "You fucking idiot!"
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
All the second-guessing about what Juno's parents should have done or said reveals more to me about the people doing the second-guessing. Seems to me that people want the parents to react the way the second-guessers would have reacted. IOW, if you're pro-life the parents are too pro-abortion. If you're pro-choice they accept Juno's decision too easily. Etc. I believed every move every one of the characters made. And the Garner and Bateman characters' choices were unpeeled like onions, making those two characters arguably the most interesting ones in the movie. (Garner and Bateman are the unsung heroes of the Juno acting sextet.)
bart
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
What I've heard of Juno, and Marc's comments (which address my disenchantment with several indie films I've seen in past years) regarding the dialog, make me think it's avoidable. 3rd Eye earns the check I'm mailing.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
What I've heard of Juno, and Marc's comments (which address my disenchantment with several indie films I've seen in past years) regarding the dialog, make me think it's avoidable. 3rd Eye earns the check I'm mailing.

bart--Avoiding Juno would be a huge mistake. Roger Ebert calls it the best film of 2008--a big statement but right in the ballpark. It has no connection with the indie cliches you're referring to. I have indiephobia too, but Juno???? No way in the world does it fit the description.
bart
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ebert? I think he's a terrific critc, and you know where he's coming from, but I have different tastes so far as small studio films go. In a way, he has broader tastes than I do. That said, I may get dragged to Juno anyway this week. Half the time I get dragged to a film (usually bargaining is involved where film companion then has to accompany me to some genre thing they dread....) and end up vastly surprised, so you never know.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All the second-guessing about what Juno's parents should have done or said reveals more to me about the people doing the second-guessing.

So. Isn't art supposed to elicit a reaction in the viewer?

billy, I'm not second guessing anything about the characters in JUNO. Its not the decisions that are made that I have a problem with. Its the superficiality of the film that bothers me. I am questioning the authenticity of the movies dialog and the way characters react to situations.
I found the movie entertaining but not in the least bit insightful or deep. And I think it wanted to be both those things.

Quote:
(Garner and Bateman are the unsung heroes of the Juno acting sextet.)

I agree completely. They were also the most believable of the characters in the film. They spoke and acted with a genuineness that the other characters lacked.

What the fuck did the beautiful Juno see in the boneheaded boy she fell in love with? Talk about a mouth breather.

I also have a soft spot for any film that name checks Iggy and has a Ramones poster in a scene.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
What the fuck did the beautiful Juno see in the boneheaded boy she fell in love with? Talk about a mouth breather.

Every single woman I have talked with who saw Juno (and/or Superbad) thinks Michael Cera is adorable and sexy.