Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

bart
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Earl -- "Tell you what. I'll read any Philip K Dick novel you want or see a movie based on one of his books (I'm not sure I've ever done either, to be honest) if you'll do this: Rent the Season One DVD of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watch the first 3 or 4 episodes in full. If it doesn't grab you by that point, then forget it because it never will."

Though I like novels like "Ubik," or "The Man in the High Castle," Dick is not my favorite sci-fi author, I just like the way his short stories (mostly) have translated into films. He's really not much of a writer and a lot of his prose is either rambling and/or larded with sloppy theological obscurantism or just pure hack stuff. He's an idea man more than a writer.

You've probably seen the best of the adaptations, like Blade Runner, The Minority Report, or Total Recall. And the ones that aren't direct-from-Dick, like "Vanilla Sky," have often captured his vision wonderfully even if no direct credit is given.

As to renting a Buffy DVD, consider it done. Season One, the first disk, is in my queue.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The irony is that Season One is so different from the later seasons. Lighter, the episodes stand alone. And yet, I think you're right that if a new viewer don't like them, he or she won't care for the rest. You have to enjoy being with those characters first, and enjoy the humor, before you can develop an interest for more in-depth storytelling.

-Topher
Nancy
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Just saw the listing for the adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion the PBS is running on Masterpiece Theatre this Sunday. It says that Anthony Head is playing the heroine's father. I wonder if he'll teach her to slay vampires.....

Isaacism, 2009
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
Caught an Angel I'm not sure I'd seen before, with zombie cops on the street. Followed by the Episode of Ultimate Despair, in which all the characters feel like giving up and Angel is told our world is the Home Office. Boy that got to me the first time I saw it. Helps to know the resolution.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
One of the few benefits of a slightly longer commute to work from my new condo is that I have to get up about 7 and thus can watch "Angel" while I'm getting dressed.

Also, the new issue of one of the magazines I work on (Gotham) is featuring Sarah Michelle Gellar on the cover with a nice interview inside. (Yes, there was some discussion about whether to call her Sarah Michelle Prinz, but it was decided that most people still wouldn't recognize the name, and the IMDb still lists her as Gellar.)

She looks so mature in the photos. I wanted to send her an e-mail: Don't turn into Helen Hunt!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
We should all write "reconcile with Joss and do movie spin-offs."

-Topher
Earl
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone happen to catch the premiere of New Amsterdam on FOX last week. I missed it because it was on the evening that I voted and I forgot to record it. Just wondering if it's any good.

Last year when I first heard the premise (a dark show about a cynical detective who is immortal) I mocked it as being somewhat...uh...derivative. But that was just me acting way cooler than I really am. Truth is I was secretly kinda geeked about it. It was supposed to be a Fall 2007 release and then it got put on the back burner.

Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I watched it with my son and daughter-in-law. My daughter-in-law was the one looking forward to it. I think we made it till the first commercial. My daughter-in-law went to bed because she didn`t like it and my son and I switched to another programme. Not good.
carrobin
Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know about it--I'll be watching out for it next time.

By the way, I've caught "Eli Stone" a couple of times, and it's rather curious that there seem to be so many shows about an average guy/dame who has hallucinations or dreams or visions or some such that helps him/her solve crimes or right wrongs. Most of them are pretty lame, but I still miss "Tru Calling."
Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:21 am Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
Did anyone happen to catch the premiere of New Amsterdam on FOX last week. I missed it because it was on the evening that I voted and I forgot to record it. Just wondering if it's any good.

Last year when I first heard the premise (a dark show about a cynical detective who is immortal) I mocked it as being somewhat...uh...derivative. But that was just me acting way cooler than I really am. Truth is I was secretly kinda geeked about it. It was supposed to be a Fall 2007 release and then it got put on the back burner.

Earl -- I saw it and I liked it. Is it derivative? Sure. But it's well done and though I can't remember the actor's name off hand, he is a looker.

So far there have been two shows. I'm a sucker for time travel and this shows gets it right. Last week, he flashed back to the early '40's. All the details, music, costuming were perfectly in place.

It's not Mad Men or Damages. New Amsterdam isn't unique or original enough to enter that league. But so far I'm enjoying it. It's a good hour of escape and thus far it's the first show I can say that about. Did I mention that the lead is hot?
Marj
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I didn't even know about it--I'll be watching out for it next time.

By the way, I've caught "Eli Stone" a couple of times, and it's rather curious that there seem to be so many shows about an average guy/dame who has hallucinations or dreams or visions or some such that helps him/her solve crimes or right wrongs. Most of them are pretty lame, but I still miss "Tru Calling."

carrobin -- Do you recommend it? Eli Stone, I mean.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Earl -- I saw it and I liked it. Is it derivative? Sure. But it's well done and though I can't remember the actor's name off hand, he is a looker.

Maybe so, but he can't act worth a shit.

I would recommend Eli Stone, but I think it helps a lot to see it from the beginning. So far I have liked all the episodes I've seen very much, but it is the kind of show that could go off the rails.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
I haven't actually sat down and watched "Eli Stone" all the way through--I'm always doing something else, working on my freelance job or going through the papers. It hasn't grabbed my attention, except for the occasional musical number--those are nicely done, and bring back memories of "Cop Rock" (I LIKED "Cop Rock") and "The Singing Detective" (which I didn't like as much as the critics did, but the musical numbers were terrific).
Earl
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I should have mentioned Eli Stone before. I like it very much. Also, I strongly agree with Gary that it would help a lot to see it from the beginning because of the way the story has developed.

There was a concern (mentioned by a Third Eye member who has since departed) that Eli Stone might be too much to take with Lost as its lead-in on ABC. Too much mind-bending weirdness on one night. But that hasn't been a problem for me or, I suspect, most viewers. Eli Stone is a warm ray of comforable light after Lost leaves me wimpering in the darkness.

The lead actor, Jonny Lee Miller, has for a long time been for me the young guy who got to make out with Julie Christie in Afterglow. I never really caught his name, but whenever I'd see him in something, I'd think, "There's the dude who got to make out with Julie Christie in Afterglow." But he has totally become Eli Stone to me. A couple weeks ago [Afterglow[/i] was on some channel and when I came across it, I thought, "There's Eli Stone! Eli's makin' out with Julie Christie!".

My mother is a fan of Eli Stone, too, so I took great pleasure in informing her that Jonny Lee Miller is not only British, but from Surrey, which is where she grew up. She liked that. She was less impressed when I told her that Harry Potter lived there.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Earl: Thanks for that information--that's enough to make me pay attention next time.