Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
The Big Bang Theory wasn't up to the other two episodes that I saw. Still worth watching. Geeze that laugh track is annoying.
carrobin
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
A new "Medium" is on tonight, with Anjelica Huston. I like the show anyway but this is a must-see.
bart
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Gary, saw ten minutes of the BBT and yes, the laugh track was godawful. I can see where it has potential, but this episode didn't seem to realize it.

The first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm is coming from netflix today and I have to say I'm hugely looking forward to it. I live without cable and have had numerous people strongly recommend CYE to me. Will report back.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Matched in Manhattan, that reality show I'm appearing on in February, debuted to a 90% increase in viewership over the same time period last year. It was helped by the lead-in of Carson Kressley's How to Look Good Naked, which scored the highest ratings of any reality show in Lifetime Television's history (over 20 years).
carrobin
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Just read in the paper that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert had new shows last night. Why didn't anybody tell me? I'll try to catch the repeats tonight in primetime.
Trish
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Matched in Manhattan, that reality show I'm appearing on in February, debuted to a 90% increase in viewership over the same time period last year. It was helped by the lead-in of Carson Kressley's How to Look Good Naked, which scored the highest ratings of any reality show in Lifetime Television's history (over 20 years).

You're on a reality show Billy??

what channel, day and time? - I have to see this
Trish
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Oh I see Lifetime

I'll have to do a Search and DVR it
ehle64
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Medium was cool, as usual. It was great seeing Angelica Houston, again. I hope she'll be on more episodes.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
From that episode it sure looks like she will be a recurring character. I loved the show as usual, but was bothered by that "why should I believe your visions" thing from her former partner in crime solving. He had plenty of experience with her abilities being right on the mark, but now all of a sudden, he thinks her dreams etc. are not to be believed. Made no sense at all.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
Re "Medium": I could understand that he was a bit upset because of the change in his career direction, but to resist acknowledging her psychic abilities was silly--just a way to pump up the plot a little, it seemed to me. The change in the family's financial situation is interesting, with both her and her husband suddenly out of work.

By the way, the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are both rolling right along without their writers--though Stewart and Colbert do talk a lot about the strike. Jon is, of course, thoroughly sympathetic with the writers, while Stephen (in character) sneers at unions and insists that he doesn't need writers, and then berates the tech staff because that blank teleprompter hasn't been fixed.
bart
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Medium is far and away the best supernatural show in tubeville. It's a bother that NBC and I have antenna problems where I am in the boonies, so I have to break out the tinfoil and stacks chairs on chairs, etc. to watch.

Watched three eps of CYE, for the first time. Seems like Seinfeldian concepts, but with a lead who is obviously not a trained actor. The thing with making a coughing/retching sound after drinking from Mary Steenburgen's mother's water glass seemed very Seinfeldish -- gleaning humor from "nothing" situations. Overall, it seemed self-indulgent and just not that good.

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Larry David wrote most of Seinfeld, so the similarity is certainly there. Jerry Seinfeld was far from a trained actor himself, btw, and it showed.
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Larry David wrote most of Seinfeld, so the similarity is certainly there. Jerry Seinfeld was far from a trained actor himself, btw, and it showed.

billy -

I'm aware of this. Can you elaborate and compare him to other standups who had successful series, such as Bob Newhart for example?
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
billyweeds wrote:

billy -

I'm aware of this. Can you elaborate and compare him to other standups who had successful series, such as Bob Newhart for example?

Most standups are not great "actors" (Newhart was no exception). Robin Williams may be the worst of them all because he tries the hardest. Larry David is one of the worst, but it doesn't matter one whit since he never attempts to be anything but what he is, a misanthropic crank. Seinfeld was okay too, since he left the heavy lifting to the other three members of his regular cast. Newhart's innate charm and performing savvy carried him through, along with the considerable chops of Suzanne Pleshette (who was more responsible for the show's success than anyone ever gave her credit for).

Trying to think if there are any stand-ups who have distinguished themselves as actors. Garry Shandling is not bad. Carson, Letterman, yecch. Was Greg Kinnear a stand-up comic? If so, he's the exception that proves the rule, because he's an excellent actor IMO.
carrobin
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
How about Steve Martin? I think he's great in comedy roles.