Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Someone is trying hard not to be a presenter.
Syd
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12893 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
marantzo wrote:
I'm pretty sure the tropical countries grow sugar cane not sugar beets. This ethanol thing is becoming just another phoney enthusiasm that the general populace automatically accepts as a good thing, when the only evidence is that it is no better for the atmosphere than oil and seems to have dire side effects.

What happened to running cars on alcohol? What are the drawbacks? From what I remember, it is very clean burning.

Eh: ethanol is ethyl alcohol, like in liquor.

I suppose you could run a car on methanol (=methyl alcoholl=wood alcohol), which is also easy to get from plants. There are some higher alcohols, like 1-propanol or 2-propanol (=isopropyl alchohol=rubbing alcohols) that could also be used fuels, but ethanol and methanol are the easiest to get.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't seem to me that ethyl alcohol would be expensive to produce. even with delivery and taxes etc. I bet it could be sold for about a buck a gallon and still be profitable. It's not like it has to be bottled and labeled. To me it seems like the oil companies which have a vertical hold on the industry are the only reason that 100% alcohol can't be used to fuel vehicles. I say fuck 'em. They have made billions and billions screwing us already. Why give a shit what happens to them. Let them sell their oil to for the many other uses, and accept the lower prices that will result from the lower demand. I don't remember the oil companies losing money when it was $3 a barrel. I don't think that the cost of living has gone up 1750% in the last 35 years.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
That should have been 3300%.
jeremy
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
You must vote for the sober and serious Mrs Clinton, not the know nothing demogogue who makes you feel good about yourselves. Wake up and smell the coffee or I'll have to come around there and give you all a slap.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I stick with B52's.
Rod
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
Yes, a little shot of 'Planet Claire' a day will keep the blood pumping.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Good Stuff

Earl
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Been searchin' through the posts on Obama for the past two years, and will take this moment to pat myself on the back. When even the other Barack fans were saying 2008 was too early for him, I kept the faith.

End of self-promotion...for a while.

I was one of the ones who thought it was too soon for Obama. But I don't remember posting that thought, so you probably didn't find any comments by me. I no longer think it's too soon. It's hard to explain. I guess it's a gut feeling, but he just looks ready.

I recall talking to my boss in November of 2004. (I should preface this by noting that he's a devout Republican. He's also a decent fellow and we get along well enough to dicuss politics without rancor even though he knows I lean leftward.) He asked me why I didn't like Bush, why I was voting against him. I spoke as calmly, yet directly, as I could. "Because he's been a total disaster as president. A total disaster. He doesn't have the intelligence, the character or the temperament to be a good president. If he had two of those three things, I'd be happy. If he had only one, I wouldn't be happy, exactly, but I'd feel a bit better about him than I do now. But he has not one of those qualities." My boss took it well. He more or less expected me to answer that way and he didn't retort.

The best way I can say it right now is that Obama has all three of those things. Richardson was my first choice, but he'll clearly finish out of the money, to borrow a race track phrase.

All that said, however, Gromit raised some valid concerns earlier.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Where did you hear that Vitamin B12 was unhealthy?
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Amphetamines have very recognizable effects. If you had ever taken them you would know them if you got them without your knowledge. I'm not sure what you mean by weird, but that isn't a term I would associate with uppers. But of course different people can get different reactions and if they kept you up and you felt really aware and perhaps everything seemed very interesting and you talked a lot and you had no appetite and perhaps were grinding your teeth, they may very well have been amphetamines, but I have no idea what Vitamin B12 does.

Unless you are on a steady diet of amphetamines, I don't thin they are harmful. In conjunction with certain other drugs they can be fatal. I believe that's what killed Aln Ladd.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I have deleted my posts (see above). Because I am referring to a time frame of over 30 years ago, I'm afraid that I am not able to fill in all the blanks to your satisfaction. I am honestly not able to provide any more information.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
I finally got my YouTube account together and uploaded the films that I've worked on.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=martymoviemaker

Most of you have already seen the recycling film movielover14 did and the one I did for the Treo Film Festival. I also have a new film that was done this last weekend for the 48 Hours In Utah film contest. It was fun to make and is longer than the previous short films.

bart
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Marantz, take it from a guy with crappy joints -- B-12 and B-6 are heaven. Both help with joint pain and deterioration.

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
Marantz, take it from a guy with crappy joints -- B-12 and B-6 are heaven. Both help with joint pain and deterioration.

I haven't heard this before. I'm interested if they'd help.

Right now, my doctor has me on Celebrex which does help. And yes, I keep discussing cardiac implications with him, but he thinks Celebrex is OK.

Can you add anything, bart?