Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Atonement is a very polished production. And I was along for the ride during the set-up at the estate. But when it switches to the war, I didn't really make the transition. It looked less real and I don't care for James McAvoy much. Also we never get much of C and Robbie's romance so I didn't care too much. And the young adult Briony was rather stiff and uninteresting, which didn't help the ending.

**Scattered Minor Spoilers Tucked Within**
There were clunky moments as well.
Like Robbie saying that their relationship was "based on a brief moment in a library 3 1/2 years ago." Wouldn't an inter-title have been more elegant? Or Robbie again, "I can smell the sea" and then they run a brief distance to where 300,000 troops are busy milling around, singing and shooting horses. Didn't they hear anything? Or perhaps see the ferris wheel?

And how likely was it that Keira would strip down and dive into the fountain? Why take off your dress if you're going to put it right back over your wet slip? Especially since the fountain's water was blue lagoon clear. Why not get Robbie or Danny to go in the fountain? And why bring the vase out to the fountain in the first place? Did I miss something there?

Also, weren't all the hints and pregnant pauses about Willy Wonka's tendencies enough, without him marrying Lola. Seemed like overkill. And how bad should I feel that R & C didn't have time together when they (she) wasted the years they were both at Cambridge.

Picky stuff, I suppose. But that's what happens to my brain when I become detached and lose interest. Unsurprisingly, the ending didn't do much for me, since I wasn't too involved in the romance. I didn't have any problem with the typewriter clacking, and thought it worked very well in the early scene where the young Briony scoots through the house after her play is finished.

I realize that the ending could be read to excuse those cinematic moments, but I still don't think that it makes for a very satisfactory viewing experience. Anyway, I liked it all right, but felt a bit let down.

Just a few comments.

Because the film has the inter-title "1935," it isn't really necessary to put in another one for the war years (beginning 1939).

Re: the creep who marries Lola - I gather this is a plot device to keep Lola from ever testifying against her husband.

There's a rapid montage of Keira in both wet and dry clothes (and at one point holding a vase and at another point holding flowers) involving the fountain scene. I happened to watch it carefully and the montage foreshadowed what would happen. It did make the time sequence clear - albeit muddled.

BUT in viewing this movie, I was aware of its manipulations between the different pasts shown. I am developing more and more of a dislike for this particular technique, because I think a good story will stand on its own if told chronologically without tricky flashbacks, flashforwards, and alternate realities.
Some years ago, this seemed like an innovative and clever way of storytelling. I now tend to think that's become a bit trite.
That's why I plan to read the book to see if it holds up in print.

This kind of storytelling is a way of cheating the audience and underestimating their intelligence in figuring out the plot if it weren't told with such a variety of tricks.
------------
Now I DID like ATONEMENT, but I did want to say that I'm developing a presonal preference for good scripts told in a linear fashion. JUNO is an example of a story told in this way.
gromit
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just a few comments.

Because the film has the inter-title "1935," it isn't really necessary to put in another one for the war years (beginning 1939).

My inter-title suggestion was only to avoid the clunky line of exposition.

Quote:
Re: the creep who marries Lola - I gather this is a plot device to keep Lola from ever testifying against her husband.

Well after Briony's revelation, Robbie, thinking quickly, says that right away. Which we should gather was really Briony's supposition. But if someone was already tried, convicted and served their sentence for the crime, then Willy Wonka likely has little to fear.

I thought he was really hot for her, as he was rich enough to have choices. I thought the film tipped us pretty strongly to who was the real culprit, even before Briony's flashlight flashback, which might not have been accurate.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:40 am Reply with quote
Weedy,

"As a huge fan of Boogie Nights, and a big admirer of Hard Eight. Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love, I found There Will Be Blood all but unwatchable."

I, too, am interested to hear more on this. I haven't seen it, but have been drenched in the positive buzz and massive confidence that any DDL vehicle is a cause for rejoicing. Esp. if steered by PTA. So wha' happened?

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
No more spoilerish than the previous two Atonement postings -

Gromit & Mo - I haven't seen the movie, but I have read the book, and most of what you describe is in the book. If I'm remembering correctly, the scene with the fountain occurs when whatzername is feeling extremely peeved at Robbie (and, for that matter, with the world after having finished Cambridge with an adequate but not impressive record). She's also trying to be a "modern female," and jumping into the fountain like that is a manifestation of that. (Another manifestation: her smoking, which irks her mother no end - but she doesn't care.)

Not sure

billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
bart wrote:
Weedy,

"As a huge fan of Boogie Nights, and a big admirer of Hard Eight. Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love, I found There Will Be Blood all but unwatchable."

I, too, am interested to hear more on this. I haven't seen it, but have been drenched in the positive buzz and massive confidence that any DDL vehicle is a cause for rejoicing. Esp. if steered by PTA. So wha' happened?

In the view of a lot of critics and audiences, nothing bad happened. Me, I found the story to be unfocused, the character played by Day-Lewis to be off-putting to an unintentional degree, the acting by Paul Dano to be woefully inadequate, Day-Lewis himself to be as ridiculously over-the-top as he was in Gangs of New York (ignore this warning if you liked his hambone work in GONY), and the pacing to be sepulchral for the most part. Some of the photography was good, and the first ten minutes were very promising. After that, zzzzzzz.
bart
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Billy, you are not alone in your slumber. A friend put it to me this way -- he was watching and found himself laughing inappropriately when DDL's character injured his LEFT FOOT.

I wasn't overwhelmed by DDL in GONY, either. More like distracted. But I've certainly liked him in films like Age of Innocence, the aforementioned pedal extremity, and The Boxer.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved Daniel Day-Lewis in "My Beautiful Laundrette" and "Room with a View"--but he's never captured me in quite the same way since. It's not that he's aged, but that his characters seem less compelling.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought DDL's performance in GONY was a fantastic hambone performance. His character was terrifically enjoyable. When he was on he owned the screen.
lshap
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
marantzo wrote:
I thought DDL's performance in GONY was a fantastic hambone performance. His character was terrifically enjoyable. When he was on he owned the screen.

100% agree. I hope this bodes well when I see There Will Be Blood.
Ghulam
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I thought DDL was terrific in In the Name of the Father.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
I loved Daniel Day-Lewis in "My Beautiful Laundrette" and "Room with a View"--but he's never captured me in quite the same way since. It's not that he's aged, but that his characters seem less compelling.

He was simply great in My Left Foot, but since then he has basically left me cold or worse.
tirebiter
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked the character of Big Bill in GONY-- completely over the top, but revelling in his power.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD SPOILERS FOLLOW

DD-L in TWBB (which I discover comes from Exodus 7:19: "There will be blood everywhere in Egypt, even in the wooden and stone containers") was in his own way a similar character, but much less demonstrative. His consuming ambition and hatred of all men are under control until they can't be hidden anymore. I'm not an actor (though I was DYNAMITE in grade-school pageants-- my Lion #2 is still discussed at Beadle School in Yankton, South Dakota), but it was clear to me that PTA cast DD-L for his ability to play a terrifyingly manipulative sociopath-- he must have seen GONY and liked what he saw. I understand your criticism of Dano, but his weakness didn't bother me-- I felt the character was also "acting" as best he could and so Dano's limitations weren't jarring-- if anything, they sold the character to me.

The 2007 crop of films was stronger than any year I can remember, and TWBB was the last of a great string.
yambu
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
I just enjoyed reading the long list of his quotes at Imdb. His heightened speech, brutal and vulgar as it is, is poetic. That, along with his bizarre accent, sets him apart as a captivating lunatic, furiously struggling against all comers. Bill the Butcher is for the ages.

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
A little more about Atonement :

mo_flixx wrote:
the different pasts shown

The more I hear about the movie, the more I think this "flashback" stuff isn't in the book.

Marilyn
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 8210 Location: Skokie (not a bad movie, btw)
Favorite DDL - The Age of Innocence. Also loved The Last of the Mohicans--very romantic in that.