Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Couch With A View

Ghulam
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
A second viewing 40 years later of D.W.Griffith's Intolerance again filled me with awe of the director's genius, and of the production values mounted in 1916. The movie is enjoyable even today.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
So is BillyWeeds "KenRussell-esque" hair. . .

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
LOL at the Russell stuff.

Meanwhile, you may or may not know that Ross ("David Seville") Bagdasarian:

1) Played the songwriter in Rear Window.

2) Was William Saroyan's nephew.

Anyone wanna hear my incredibly inside and not-very-funny but quite clever (I think) joke about New York theaters and their renaming?

Okay, I see you're all set. So here goes.

Q. If the theater where the musical Hairspray is currently playing were to be renamed again, what would its name inevitably be?

Hint: It's currently called The (Neil) Simon. It was previously called The Alvin.

And if you can't figure out the answer now, you don't deserve to know that Ross Bagdasarian was in Rear Window.

A. The Theodore.
mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Fascinating facts about Ross Bagdasarian from the imdb.com such as who the Chipmunks were named after.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0046564/bio
Marj
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey!! I got you're joke, Billy. Maybe you should have whited out the answer and given us (me) a shot. Cool
ehle64
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
What with my total craze over all things Todd Haynes, I came across SUPERSTAR: The Karen Carpenter Story today. Thanks loads lady_w, you ROCK. This shit is genius.

Hey while searching for a photo, I found this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=622130510713940545

Now everyone can see this mini-masterpiece!

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
That Karen Carpenter movie is great. Amazed I never commented on it when I saw it (in five-minute chunks) on YouTube several months ago.
Nancy
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Ghulam wrote:
A second viewing 40 years later of D.W.Griffith's Intolerance again filled me with awe of the director's genius, and of the production values mounted in 1916. The movie is enjoyable even today.

Yes, it's a great film.

Isaacism, 2009
Marj
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately finding a photo of Ken Russell wasn't terribly difficult. But with the exception of the hair, I don't see any resemblance.

PS. I still want to see his version of The Boy Friend.
billyweeds
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Fortunately finding a photo of Ken Russell wasn't terribly difficult. But with the exception of the hair, I don't see any resemblance.

PS. I still want to see his version of The Boy Friend.

I look more like the guy on the left, actually. But in Rex Reed's defense, he was talking about Ken Russell many years ago.
unohoo
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:42 am Reply with quote
I keep The Big Lebowski in my bedroom as a default dvd when in case I don't have anything to watch. Even though I've watched the opening scenes many times over, it still is very very funny. Daniels, Goodman, Buscemi and Hoffman all within the span of the first ten minutes.

Saw the funny yet long Superbad over the weekend and have watched it frequently. Something about watching high schoolers sift their way through hormones, social awkwardness and straight up stupidity never gets old. However, this one has a slightly different twist on it, because there's a twinge of homo-eroticism that surfaces thorughout the movie.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
INTERVIEW is a recently released dvd directed by and starring Steve Buscemi and Sienna Miller. It could have been adapted from a play but actually is a remake of a film by Theo van Gogh.

Buscemi is serious and not too quirky here. He plays a semi-washed up journalist who's assigned is to interview Miller, an actress more famous for her sex life than talent. His heart isn't in it - he's chomping at the bit to get back to his Washington DC beat. At the same time, the investigative reporter instinct in him is going in for the kill.

A cat and mouse game ensues between the two characters. This is probably the best thing I've seen Miller do. It's a little hard to understand all the fuss about her until you've seen this film.

The film has its share of twists and turns. Do they have a love/hate relationship...or something else altogether? Miller and Buscemi in his dual role as actor and director do good jobs.
gromit
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
The Van Gogh original was boring.
So I've been holding off on the Buscemi-Miller re-make. Also, just seems like another plot device to couple an older ugly male with a young hot female. The screenwriter's fantasy.

Last edited by gromit on Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
It's in my queue and I can't wait. p.s. Michelle Williams body language as Edie scored massively well with me (considering how much I LOVEd Siennas).

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
The Van Gogh original was boring.
So I've been holding off on the Buscemi-Miller re-make. Also, just seems like another plot device to couple an older ugly male with a young hot female. The screenwriter's fnatasy.

To ehle --
I preferred Sienna in "Interview" to "Factory Girl." She's good in both, tho'.

gromit -
Your comments are oversimplified. Buscemi isn't what I'd call an ugly male, and Miller is much more than just a "young hot female." She looks a bit jaded with dark roots - perfect for her character who almost could allude to Britney S. or Pamela Anderson. Buscemi comes across as surprisingly sympathetic. They are a good match for each other.

This 84-minute movie _could_ have been boring, but I didn't find it so. Buscemi keeps the camera moving. I didn't realize he's an accomplished director, but he's done a lot of TV ("Sopranos). Plot twists, thrown in on a regular basis, keep the film from becoming static.