Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

shannon
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
unohoo wrote:
(not to mention this cd might be pretty good)

The album title certainly is.
unohoo
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
unohoo wrote:
(not to mention this cd might be pretty good)

The album title certainly is.

Right? Niggy Tardust! That cracks me up. It's better than Mantan was in Spike Lee's Bamboozled.

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
I find the title kind of repulsive, but, I'm a Bowie freak.

SERGE RULEs!!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
ehle, don't know if you've seen this BBC footage from the early 70s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8oGyGo1q-k .
jeremy
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
It's easy to forget how magnificent he was in his preening pretty-boy, pomp-pumping prime.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
ehle64
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
uhm, third eye confession time, i had to see it == i just on=demanded Britney's "Gimme" -- and -- uhm -- i freaking love it. Combustible PopStars!!!! WooHOO!!!

Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I think it is ok for an artist to aspire to producing perfect. pretnsion-free pop. Myself, I must confess to being a closet Sugar Babes fan and thought Aqua were both hilarious and brilliant. I've heard that britney's current album is possibly 'her' best work. It's a shame for her that it has coincided with the nadir of her hitherto image-led career. Maybe she should do the same as Amy "fuck the lot of you" Winehouse and run with her dissolute, white trash persona.

Macca00
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The problem, at least on a professional level, for Britney Spears is that she was a Disney kid, meaning that her childhood was lived out in full glare of the media. Musically, it would require a 180 degree turn for a reinvention; thus far, she's shown no capacity for songwriting. As for the Amy Winehouse example, the comparison might well be misleading. Winehouse never presented herself as a stereotypically vapid female wannabe (please don't misread that as a sexist comment).

Meanwhile, I find myself unmoved by the news that next year's MTV Europe Awards will be held in my city:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7070936.stm .
If it gives a global platform to today's generation of Liverpool acts, fine. However, I suspect it'll be little more than yet another stopping off point for the usual suspects.
unohoo
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The new Britney single is the only one that I've ever liked. Never bought a Britney Spears disc, but this song is the first step in turning the trend.

Anyway, don't know if it's just me, but for whatever reason the new Alicia Keys "No One" is so incredibly corny yet so incredibly good to me. Plus she manages to make playing a keyboard with one hand while writhing in a dress tight enough to constrict her breathing look kinda hot.

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
So I have spent about five days with that new Niggy Tardust joint from Saul Williams and I dig it heavy maaan. For whatever reason I've resisted listening to anything having to do with Trent Reznor, but this collaboration is pretty awesome. Reznor's production coupled with Williams words are almost made for each other.

Saul is able to 'sing' well enough to compliment the tracks Reznor lays down, and when he isn't singing, the poetry he recites is done with equal effectiveness. Some of the better songs are Scared Money, Break, DNA, Banged and Blown Through and a remake of U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday. Worth checking out, especially since it's free at www.niggytardust.com.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure not many will be impressed, but, I just bought us tickets to see Aretha Franklin @ Radio City Music Hall. One of my hardest regrets while living in NYC as a poor person was not being able to see Ella's last RCMH performances because of finances. So, while I don't compare Ms. Franklin to Ms. Ella @ all, it gives me great satisfaction to know that I will be seeing the Queen of Soul in March.

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings of seeing greats after their time is gone. Whilst I can understand ehle's desire to be able to see Aretha Franklin before she hangs up her gold lamé for the last time, it may be hard to discern the magic.

And while on the subject of the queen of soul, I was always conflicted by her singing of "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find out what it means to me." Essentailly, it is a maans song, it just doesn't work when sung from a woman's perspective.

jeremy
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
First came Britney with her perfect pop stylings and now crap, joke, British girl band, Girls Aloud have gone one step further with their latest album, Tangled Up.

Quote:
Like their last album, this isn't a guilty pleasure - it's a modern pop masterpiece...

The world's gone mad.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I have mixed feelings of seeing greats after their time is gone.

I was just thinking about this last night, listening to an NPR Music podcast on the train on my way home. They were reviewing the latest Allison Krauss and Robert Plant collaboration.

Listening, I was thinking about the Led Zep reunion that's taking place in December, moved off due to Jimmy Page breaking a finger.

Picturing in my mind were the latest pics of Robert and Jimmy and wondering if even in their advanced age state (of which I think both have aged rahter poorly), would I still want to pay big money to see them?

Longing for their hey-days of excess and raw performances, it makes it hard to think about these reunion dates.

I mean, I'm glad to have seem some bands that I always want to see and some were pretty damn great (Elton John), some ok and not too bad (Black Sabbath) and others had something missing, even though I enjoyed the concert (Korn).

Even last year, seeing The Who live was not all that bad, and for older guys, they really could rock. But it was hard to hide the age when Roger belted out his scream in "Won't Get Fooled Again", not quite hitting that string of notes. Impressive, but lacking.

I would, however, like to check out the latest Van Halen reunion. I've seen them once (1982 in Los Angeles) and this time around, it's 3/4 of the original members and it could be fun.

ehle64
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
OK. Check it. M.I.A.'s $20 (a smooth $10 step up) is abso-friggin-lutely brill. She mixes herself with New Order and Pixies. Throw in a right bit of politics, common sense and a madd beat? One of me Top 10 of the year, which also includes Britney, Blonde Redhead, The Rapture, Rhiannon (shut up), The National, and some other prick that's going to go in me ear.

*grrrrrrrrrrrrr* Mad