Missed AF, LCD SS & BR. . .
but

The Goddess Annie put out a record again after 4 years:

Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I love Annie Lennox.
shannon
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Radiohead.... ushering in the new form of music distribution. Pay what you want, including nothing.

http://www.inrainbows.com

I paid £7.45 (just over $15 US).

Comes out October 10th.

That much? I gave 'em $5 and will more than likely buy the cd once it's released in 2k8.

I like the distribution idea, but I can't really see it working for any band that's not at a Radiohead level of prominence. But maybe. Seems Trent Reznor's following Radiohead's example and becoming a free agent himself.
shannon
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
In other news: new PJ Harvey album, White Chalk is brilliant. Thirty minutes of soft, sad, piano-based songs that sound like they were recorded by the ghost of a Civil War widow. Beautiful. I can't get enough of it.

Band of Horses' Cease to Begin has also captured my attention in a big, big way. Focusing on a more rootsy, less-grandiose sound, there's nothing as immediate and majestic as "Great Salt Lake" or "Funeral" from their last album, but keep listening and these songs (particularly "Ode to LRC", "The General Specific", and "Window Blues") will subtly take over your life. And it's not often that a singer can make lines like "the world is such a wonderful place" and "watch how you treat every living soul" not make you cringe, but Ben Bridwell does it.
shannon
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
In Rainbows is real, real good. Despite a few electronic flourishes and string arrangements throughout, the record is very minimal; sounds like five guys playing their music in a room. (Dig those drums!!!!) And the songs are all actual songs and they're all on the verge of excellent, with "15 Step", "Nude", "All I Need" and "Videotape" making it all the way there. I guess some will argue that it feels somewhat slight, and I can't really argue with that. It's ambitions are decidedly less-lofty than anything since The Bends, nearly every song about relationships. I remember reading an interview with Thom Yorke where he expressed a desire to make a Radiohead album that you can have sex to. He may have succeeded. (Once I give it a go, I'll get back with you. Wink ) It reminds me of Wilco's latest, in a way, but it's much, much better (no dad rock here). Once I've spent more than a morning with it, I'll give it its final grade, but my first impression is very positive. Recommended. (And shit goddamn, those drums!!!!)
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Right there with you, shannon. Third time through it and it's very good. Minimalist is a good way of describing this album. The drums are very prominent and work well in the songs.

"Bodysnatchers" is a strong track, as well as "Nude" and the closer "Videotape" Thom's vocals on "All I Need" are strong... recognizable and soulful.

As for why I paid the $15 for it, most of the reason was to show support with the price of a CD (i normally don't pay more than $10 for CDs).

Now with NIN following suit at some point, I expect that this is one way of showing the fans and music customers that they don't have to give RIAA money to fund their sue-happy business model.

Macca00
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote
I'm not 100% sold on mash-ups, but sometimes they work brilliantly. Came across this UK- based mash-up site:
http://www.jamiecg74.co.uk .
Among the best of them is The Cure with 50 Cent, WasNot Was with Michael Jackson & KRS1 with Gerry & The Pacemakers (yes, really).
unohoo
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I thought the name your own price for Radiohead was a joke. I put in a zero pound offer partly too see if it was real and partly because I didn't want to spend any money. Few minutes later, I dl'd the disc. I'm gonna give it a once over when I take my daughter to soccer practice while sitting in the shade. Should be cool.

Now I've got to practice guitar with her. She's trying to learn 'Yellow Submarine'.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
unohoo, let me know when she gets on to "Helter Skelter".
unohoo
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
I haven't been able to put my finger on my feelings about the new Radiohead. I know I like it though. I think my favorite right now is Bodysnatchers, I always liked when Radiohead got a good head of steam going. Other high scorers are Reckoner, House of Cards, and All I Need.

Having said all of that, still something doesn't sit right with me.

Macca - Will do. We also got started on Here, There and Everywhere

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:31 pm Reply with quote
unohoo, if it's any help, Google "Here There & Everywhere chords". The first few links seem to do the job.
unohoo
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Macca, I had figured out most of it except for a few changes.

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
unohoo wrote:
Thanks Macca, I had figured out most of it except for a few changes.

Tell me the key you're teaching it in and I'll be happy to write out the appropriate chord changes.
lshap
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Goin' to see Stevie Wonder on Thursday!
unohoo
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks lshap, but Macca's suggestion worked out for us. Oh yeah, we expect a full report on the Stevie concert you lucky dog.

Still listening to Radiohead and some of the other songs are really getting my attention now. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi", "Nude" and "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" are my new faves.

Don't know how true this is, because the numbers can't be anywhere near accurate but, this article estimates that Radiohead made a cool 10 mil off "In Rainbows" so far. If that's true, sounds like record labels are in big trouble.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/radiohead_make_10_million_from_in_rainbows.html

Saul Williams/Trent Reznor are taking a page from the Radiohead book with Saul Williams debut cd "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust". Not really a name your own price deal, but it's moving outside the typical record label channels and the music is still cheaper. This is getting very interesting. (not to mention this cd might be pretty good)

http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu