Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

zwirnm
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 46 Location: Washington, District of Columbia
I saw Mirah and Laura Veirs at the Black Cat on Saturday, and walked away slightly disappointed. Both are exemplars of Pacific Northwest indie-folk songwriting, and both now live in my old haunts in Portland (Mirah relocating from Olympia; Laura from Seattle). I saw each a number of times in Portland, and consider myself a pretty big Mirah fan. While I don't know Laura's music as well, I own and like both Carbon Glacier and Year of Meteors.

Somewhere since I last saw her play in Oregon, Mirah has built a vast and worshipful fan base, all of them apparently between the ages of 18-25. The crowd at the Black Cat made a line stretching down the street to get in, and the venue was packed. All the fans were there for Mirah, as Laura told me after the show; she has built her audience online and can sell out a venue as large as the Black Cat despite not touring in DC for years.

The line out the door delayed us getting into the show until Laura was midway through her set. Playing solo, she was singing her wordy, breathlessly literate art-folk to the accompaniment only of her own guitar, a prerecorded drum track, and some attempts at live multitracking of her own guitar soloes. The effect was a bit of a letdown. Laura's recorded music is intricate, detailed, and nuanced; the simple setting doesn't present her at her best. Also, the attempt to work the live multitracking was poorly executed. The poor vocal mic was also a hindrance for the layered lyrics and allusions (if you want to see an overtly literary press bio, check out the Nonesuch release for the new album Saltbreakers - yes, she was indeed a Carleton College liberal arts major...) Still, she did energetic versions of "Secret Someones" and "Galaxies" from her past albums, and a smattering of new songs, before leaving the stage to respectful applause.

Few in the crowd seemed to know or have a familiarity with Laura's set, which surprised me since I'd assumed that she was the one with the national and international reputation, and repeated adulatory coverage in the New York Times and NPR. That can't be said for the set by Mirah Yom Tov Zeitlyn, whose every chorus seemed to be met by silent singalongs of gently swaying indie kids. Mirah's set, as strong as it might have been, was woefully served by the appalling sound mix: Her appealingly digressive between-song commentary (think Luna Lovegood as an Oregon hippie) was swallowed in a poor vocal mic, her guitar playing lacked clarity, and the quiet contributions of her bandmates drowned out her own singing. It was only due to my own knowledge of the songs that I could make out the lyrics of "Jerusalem" — a potent personal/political rejoinder to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from C'Mon Miracle— or get at the touchingly erotic undertones of the love songs from the first two albums.

As much as I like Mirah, the venue wasn't helping. Too many people, with too much background noise, were obliterating the performance of a set of nuanced and generally inward-looking folk-punk songs. I was increasingly frustrated, my wife was annoyed, and the friends I'd invited were bored. Only when Mirah went into a hilarious mini-set of insect-themed songs — from a collaboration with Spectratone International — did the sound mix finally clear up. After that, and during the encore, things improved significantly. The crowd sung along softly to the tender "Person Person" from You Think It's Like This But Really It's Like This. Mirah performed some of the remaining set in the style of the recent remix album Joyride, did a gripping performance of "Cold Cold Water" from Advisory Committee, and ended the encore with a great version of "Apples in the Trees."

A fine conclusion, but the inital two-thirds of the evening were something of a bummer.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Boy, zwirnm, where in the hell have you been? My guess is that you found someone and were screwing your asses off. If not, you have no excuse.
zwirnm
Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 46 Location: Washington, District of Columbia
just busy, married, traveling a lot for work, etc.
daffy
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Stevie Wonder Plans U.S. Tour

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 3, 2007
Filed at 9:26 a.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Stevie Wonder will go on his first U.S. tour in more than a decade, starting next month in San Diego.

The 57-year-old singer made the announcement at an outdoor performance in Los Angeles on Thursday.

''A Wonder Summer's Night'' will feature 13 concerts from Aug. 23 to Sept. 20 in eight states. Stops in California include San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Concord, Santa Barbara, Saratoga and Los Angeles. Other cities include Portland, Ore.; Woodinville, Wash.; Chicago; Detroit; Atlanta; and Baltimore. The final concert will be in Boston.

Tickets will be available beginning Aug. 11. Ticket prices weren't immediately released.

Although Wonder has given numerous performances worldwide, his last full-scale tour in the U.S. was in 1995.

The Motown legend has some two dozen Grammy Awards and dozens of hits. His song ''I Just Called to Say I Love You,'' featured in the movie ''The Woman in Red,'' won the Academy Award for best original song in 1985, which is really too bad because so much of his work is a thousand times better and yet that's what a lot of people know him by. Go figure.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-People-Wonder.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
marantzo
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
zwirnm wrote:
just busy, married, traveling a lot for work, etc.

Congratulations on your marriage.
Macca00
Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony Wilson, one of the co-founders of Factory Records, which gave the world Joy Division & New Order, as well as the Happy Mondays, has died at the ridiculously early age of 57. He was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year:
http://www.nme.com/news/tony-wilson/30257 .
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote

I had this album on vinyl (purchased in late 1985), but sadly it was tossed with the rest of my vinyl (all of my 12" mix LPs, classic Beatles and tons of others) by a parent that didn't understand my music.

Good to know it's been released on CD. I take it this is the first time it's come out on CD? I'm surprised Rhino hadn't released it before now.

And nice comment on Amazon.com.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
The new BLONDE REDHEAD is growing on me. I had a hard time with the vocals at first. Now, I'm starting to dig em. My initial response was the cd was a pretentious arty bore with irritating lead singer. But, upon closer listening, 23 has revealed some charm and hooks.

Left of Center (Channel 26 on Sirius) has been playing this lately. I admit, it's growing on me even though the first few listens took some time to sink in.

I'll have to check out this GRINDERMAN.

Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem are making their first ever stop in Utah on Sept. 26th. Just got tix today for movielover14 and I to go (her birthday is on Sept 30th).

The new Crowded House album has been getting a lot of play on my iPod. It's really grown on me and it's classic Crowded House without any fluff or B.S. "comeback" feel.

However, the new Korn album may take a lot longer to grow on me. I miss the "Follow The Leader" sound.

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:12 pm Reply with quote
unohoo, your avatar is a bit large for the page formatting. Let me know if you'd like help with making a size adjustment.

jeremy
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Quote:
I had this album on vinyl (purchased in late 1985), but sadly it was tossed with the rest of my vinyl (all of my 12" mix LPs, classic Beatles and tons of others) by a parent that didn't understand my music.

Noooo!

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
unohoo
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah chillywilly I would, I was hoping it wasn't that big for everyone else. I was actually coming in here to take it down.

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:

Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem are making their first ever stop in Utah on Sept. 26th. Just got tix today for movielover14 and I to go (her birthday is on Sept 30th).

Lucky. I've yet to see Arcade Fire live, but LCD Soundsystem put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen a few years ago.
daffy
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
I thought this article about the biz was pretty interesting:

Quote:
In recent years, the economics of pop music have been upended. The market for CDs has collapsed, and not even the rise of legal downloading can offset the damage to record companies. Meanwhile, demand for live performances has rocketed

There is a story doing the rounds in the US that says a lot about the state of the music business. It concerns a young rock band who decided to stop selling their CDs at concerts. Selling CDs has, for many years, been a good way for an act to reclaim the margin that would otherwise have been snaffled by a retailer. But it made no sense to this band once they discovered that by selling CDs for $10 they were cannibalising sales of their $20 T-shirts.

There are two points to note here. First, that a simple garment with a logo stamped across it, probably manufactured for pennies in a third-world sweatshop, now costs twice as much as an album of digitally pristine, highly wrought music recorded in a state of the art western studio. Second, most bands, however successful, now make their money from live work and the merchandising opportunities that go with it, rather than from recordings...

Groups used to tour, often at a loss, to stimulate sales of their latest album. Now it's the other way around. Hence the widely reported decision earlier this year by the Crimea, a band previously signed to Warner Bros, to release their new album as a free download. The band explained this not as an anarcho-hippie gesture in support of the principle that music ought to be free, but as a sensible promotional tactic. Their hope is that by disseminating their music online, they will expand their fan base and increase their returns from touring. Having seen the small size of the cheques they got from Warner, they know where not to look for their future income...

http://www.prospect-magazine.co.uk/article_details.php?id=9735

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html
marantzo
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
If those record producers didn't charge those outrageous prices in the first place for CD's they wouldn't have had a big pirating problem and the public would have been buying many more from them and still doing it. To charge close to $20 for a CD and not even have the sense to spend a few extra cents by putting the CD in a case that doesn't break the second time you try to open it is just an example of how greedy and stupid they are. They deserve what they are getting. Dismal sales.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
chillywilly wrote:

Lucky. I've yet to see Arcade Fire live, but LCD Soundsystem put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen a few years ago.

I'm looking forward to the show. It should be good. Arcade Fire hasn't been touring all that much, and this is their first show in Utah, so it's a must see show.