Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
Mo--I agree about the Glenn Close season. She was good in the part, but it came off like stunt casting, rather than Whitaker's, in which he seemed just the best actor alive for that role. His inventiveness was galvanizing, and he was the worthiest possible antagonist for Chiklis. Somehow you just knew the two guys were having a ball playing that chess game.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
I disagree about Close. I thought she was terrific and I loved her character. I was sorry that she was only in for one season. Though I only caught the show when I was down in Nassau so I missed far more episodes than I saw.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
I heard on the 'extras' that Close was at first reluctant to do TV. She flew out to LA every week to do her scenes and then went home to NYC.

I felt that her character served to make contrast to the previous captain's policies and enabled the show's stories to go off in other directions. IMO the plotlines became less interesting.

Close's character was never developed much beyond being the "strong, stoic" professional. She was supposed to have come from the Farmington neighborhood - something that always seemed hard to believe IMO. In portraying "strength," she projected an aura of aristocratic elegance which was not right for the role.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
I heard on the 'extras' that Close was at first reluctant to do TV. She flew out to LA every week to do her scenes and then went home to NYC.

I felt that her character served to make contrast to the previous captain's policies and enabled the show's stories to go off in other directions. IMO the plotlines became less interesting.

Close's character was never developed much beyond being the "strong, stoic" professional. She was supposed to have come from the Farmington neighborhood - something that always seemed hard to believe IMO. In portraying "strength," she projected an aura of aristocratic elegance that was not right for the role.
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
Embarassed

dbl. post, sorry
zzzzzzzzzz.....
Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
"John" I think will make it. Unlike carnival which was better the second season I look forward to watching John. It is not wighty like the wire but more like Monk which can just be fun to watch.

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the right Forum for these comments.

I've just started watching a BBC mystery series called FOYLE'S WAR. Its creation came about after the end of the Inspector Morse programs to fill the gap. FOYLE'S WAR begins in 1939 and follows middle-aged Detective Foyle on the British homefront while he solves homicides with a WWII twist. Foyle's son is in the RAF. His female driver is a Wren (?), fully dressed in drab brown military uniform.

Today will be devoted to trying to get thru as many more of the 100 min. episodes as I can.

This is program is a must for WWII history buffs! Maybe Gary and yambu would like it.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mo, I've seen it and it is very good. That was a few years ago. We don't get HBO up here, but they do run all the top BBC series on either PBS (which we have two of) or the CBC. It may be showing again. I haven't notice it though.

In case any of you see Corner Gas on your schedules, I recommend you watch it. Showtime or one of those networks picked it up but it may not show till the regular season. It's a wonderfully funny half hour. Pure Canadian humour set in rural Saskatchewan. There is another show that the States might pick up, called Little Mosque on the Prairies. It's a good show but it's no Corner Gas.
unohoo
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else watching Flight of the Concords? I don't watch it on a regular basis, but I have been trying to. It reminds me of Seinfeld just a tad with goofy song bits added for good measure.

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
I have tried to watch th Concords but it seems a little spotty to me. I am surprised that "John" is over after only 10 shows that seems kind of short to me.

There are time when I have caught the Concords and it was funny but not enough to compel me to watch on a regular basis.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
The Big Love remains my favorite "must watch TV" since the departure of Sopranos. The developing story lines are always interesting and the family situations seem authentic.

I have also taken to those three New Zealanders of The Flight of the Conchord. It is a very amusing series.
ehle64
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:04 am Reply with quote
unohoo wrote:
Is anyone else watching Flight of the Concords? I don't watch it on a regular basis, but I have been trying to. It reminds me of Seinfeld just a tad with goofy song bits added for good measure.

Thanks, uno. That seals it. Couldn't stand Seinfeld and wondered why I never gave Concords a chance.

p.s. while crazy cool, yer avvy is crazy big.

Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote
unohoo and ehle--Disagree with ehle about Seinfeld (never missed an episode) but agree strongly about your avatar. It's great but waaaaay too big. (Notice what it's done to the page.)

Still haven't seen Conchords. Something about it does the opposite of grab me.
marantzo
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:51 am Reply with quote
How can anyone who lives in New York not love Seinfeld?
ehle64
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
How can anyone who lives in New York not love Seinfeld?

Oh, puh-leaze!