Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Archives - Specialty Forums  ~  Director's Series: Fred Zinnemann

Marc
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:26 am Reply with quote
Genres:

action/adventure, comedy, crime/gangster, drama, epics/historical, horror, musicals, science fiction, war, and westerns
lissa
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I have no preference - except anything but scary.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
just a suggestion:

it may be better to transfer this set of proposals and balloting to the lobby since a lot of the membership don't check in here on any regular basis.

also, i could go for a rotating system of genre/director and would limit each candidate to two months maximum. that keeps everything relatively fresh and still allows for some personal preferrences to be forwarded.

i agree with melody (i'm sort of extrapolating, okay, manipulating, her post on this issue) that all genre and directors fora should be archived. if bandwidth becomes an issue, begin dumping in the lobby where a lot of us would be happy to see some of our own previous posts deleted.

i can't express how heartbroken i was when the times decide to dump the archived directors series which had run from hitchcock thru peckinpah over the span of 3 years.

however, on the whole, i'm thrilled y'all want to continue the specialty forums. let's keep 'em rolling.
Ghulam
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I had voted for deletion, but now I will go with Melody and Bocce. Does that make me a flipflopper?
Marc
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does that make me a flipflopper?

I thought you were Indian.
censored-03
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 3058 Location: Gotham, Big Apple, The Naked City
I mentioned I prefer genre last week only because of directors like Arthur Penn and Billy Wilder (I think the latter would be great for a forum though) who have such a diversity in the films they made that it might be difficult to make style a subject for discussion.

marantzo
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I vote for Films in Yiddish.
censored-03
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

Did you miss the Oy Vey Film Fest at the Bijou ? Quite enthralling !

mo_flixx
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:10 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:

Edgar G. Ulmer used to make films in Yiddish.
lissa
Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah but no one could understand him so he learned English.

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:22 pm Reply with quote
lissa wrote:
Quote:

Yeah but no one could understand him so he learned English.

Yea, but it helped with his VISUAL style!
censored-03
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Kid Glove Murders
was on TCM at 6 am (my time of day) and I watched it out of serious curiosity. Believe it or not this forum has made me feel a certain kinship with Zinnemann, I wonder if that works with all director forums.The film came in under 1hour and 12 minutes. A compact and fun movie. This is the synopsis.

A crime lab expert and his attractive assistant solve murders, but evidence leads them to their prosecuting friend.

Richard Daniels (Samuel S. Hinds) is elected mayor and tells Gerald Ladimer (Lee Bowman) that Hunter Turnley will be district attorney. Gerald warns Matty (John Litel). Turnley is found murdered, and Gerald announces he will prosecute the murderer. Chemist Jane Mitchell (Marsha Hunt) helps Gordon McKay (Van Heflin) analyze the evidence. Gerald comes in and is interested in Jane. They find a dog hair. Gordon tells Jane he suspects canvas gloves and a burn. They examine people who bought creosote. Allison Stacy resists being arrested and is killed by Captain Lynch (Cliff Clark). Gerald announces his success. Tired of racketeers, in an eating place Eddie Wright (Eddie Quillan) plans to see the mayor at home. Mayor Daniels refuses to see him and calls the police. Daniels asks Gerald how he got $28,000 and says he will investigate him. Matty is paying Gerald $1,000 a week to eliminate his competition and says Gerald must get rid of the mayor. Jane goes out with Gerald, and Gordon is invited to join them.

When Mayor Daniels starts his car, it blows up. Gordon finds a thread. Police arrest Eddie and interrogate him. Gordon says the thread matches Eddie's coat but shows Gerald that his match matches one found at the scene. Men ask Gerald to run for mayor. Gerald has lunch with Jane. Gordon tells her the wire was cut with fingernail clippers. She says she wants to marry, but Gordon mocks the idea. Gordon explains spectroscopic analysis and says 38 magnum powder was used. Jane tells Gerald maybe she will marry him, and he admits he bought 38 cartridges. Gordon checks Gerald's fingernails for powder, and Gerald says that Eddie could have worn gloves. Gordon and Jane suction suspects' hair for powder and burlap. Gordon finds a pencil impression that the mayor was going to investigate Gerald. Gordon calls him to come over and spills something so he can vacuum Gerald's hair. Gordon tells Jane that he solved the case but won't say who it is yet. Gerald and Jane plan to go away, and she says how Gordon found the murderer. Gerald calls Matty to come over and has Jane take his car. Gerald tells Matty that Gordon has him, and Matty gives Gerald a pistol. Jane checks a clipper on Gerald's key-ring and sees it matches. Gerald comes in with a gun and demands Gordon's evidence. They fight, and police arrest Gerald. Six weeks later Jane comes back, and Gordon asks her to marry.

This scientific crime investigation using forensic evidence pioneered a new genre, intriguing and reassuring people that modern science can help catch criminals and convict them with objective proof. The friendly working relationship between Gordon and Jane resulted in natural love.

billyweeds
Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Damn. I forgot it was on. Wanted to catch it; I'm a huuuuge Van Heflin fan. He's one of the best "forgotten" stars. And the best and most unappreciated thing about Shane.