Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Syd
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Should I be embarrassed that my favorite Led Zeppelin song is D'yer Mak'er? The only other LZ song I ever sing is Stairway to Heaven, except I sing the lyrics to the theme for Gilligan's Island. (Curse you Dr. Demento.)

By the way, you can also sing most of Oh, Susanna! to the tune of the theme from Gilligan's Island, and vice versa. And you can sing Emily Dickinson's poems to The Yellow Rose of Texas. Nancy pointed this out to me once, and Emily Dickinson has never been the same since.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Yes and not just about the Led Zeppelin thing. .

Led Zeppelin have been rediscovered by the young folks. I think teenagers are searching for a bit of emo-free authenticity and excitement. Certainly my daughter seems to be searching rock 'n' rolls back catalogue for something - a flirtation with Pulp gave way to The Smiths and then Joy Division. My old vinyl collection was brought out from the garage and literarly dusted down. Now she seems to be moving on to music that even pre-dates her dad.

PS I never knew the words to Stairway To Heaven, but I could do a barnstorming version of Anarchy In The UK to a tune that, judging by the reaction of those around me, only existed inside my head.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Syd
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Your daughter has apparently discovered that there is no reason to restrict yourself to current trends to find good music. Maybe she'll find some old classical, blues or jazz that she likes. Why limit yourself?

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
. For me The Sugarbabes are saying girls just want to have fun, whilst The Dolls are saying, I'm for fucking.

Ha! I understand what you're saying. I guess it doesn't bother me.

Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Where's ABBA when you need them?
Macca00
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I was 11 when I first saw ABBA on TV at the Eurovision Song Contest. Didn't click with me then. Within 18 months, however, I was in thrall to the blonde female singer (Agnetha?). It was much later that I was able to admire their songs. One gloriously bizarre moment came at an Elvis Costello gig in Liverpool back in 86 when he launched into "Knowing Me, Knowing You".
At the end of the number Costello smiled & remarked, "Now you know punk's feckin' dead."
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Good story macca. I've always been an ABBA fan. Just good music.
grace
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Macca00 wrote:
I was 11 when I first saw ABBA on TV at the Eurovision Song Contest. Didn't click with me then. Within 18 months, however, I was in thrall to the blonde female singer (Agnetha?). It was much later that I was able to admire their songs. One gloriously bizarre moment came at an Elvis Costello gig in Liverpool back in 86 when he launched into "Knowing Me, Knowing You".
At the end of the number Costello smiled & remarked, "Now you know punk's feckin' dead."

This is kind of funny, but Marshall Crenshaw did the same thing -- played Knowing Me, Knowing You -- at one of his Toad's shows. He left out the "Now you know punk's fecking' dead" part. Crenshaw played a whole bunch of tunes, not just his stuff, and took requests and everything at that particular event.

Marsh made it okay to own ABBA Gold. Or that's my justification, anyway.
shannon
Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
New Interpol today. What does everyone think? To me, it's a bunch of the same, with some minor production flourishes (keyboards, things like that) that neither add nor subtract from its value, really. A few of the songs ("Pioneer of the Falls", "Rest My Chemistry", "Mammoth") are among their best. More than a few are throwaway, stereotypical Interpol tracks ("Scale", "All Fired Up") that work well in context, but aren't especially memorable otherwise. I'm slightly disappointed in the lack of Carlos D. bass at the forefront (he kinda made the first two albums). No huge, "love is in the kitchen with the culinary eye...", lyrical guffaws this go-around, though a few come close ("You look so young, like a daisy in my lazy eye," for instance). I seem to be focusing on the weaknesses, I guess, but I really do love the album. I mean, it's still Interpol. I grudgingly admit that it's the worst of the three, but that's really only because the other two are so classic.

It's in my Top Seven (seven because I've really, really liked seven albums thus far this year):

1) Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
2) The National - Boxer
3) Spoon - GaGaGaGaGa (also released this week)
4) Interpol - Our Love to Admire
5) !!! - Myth Takes*
6) LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
7) Justice - †*

*Most fun albums this year
Macca00
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Heard a song on the radio at work today which made me want to both laugh & cry. Amnesty International have released an album of John Lennon cover versions in order to raise funds & awareness for the situation in Darfur. Among those taking part are Green Day. However, the track broadcast was U2's take on "Instant Karma". Bono spares us his usual histrionics. However, his seemingly detached vocal delivery makes the band sound like a throwaway Beatle tribute act at a local festival. Even worse, it robs us of the passion which filled Lennon's original version.
Meanwhile, following on from the semi-successful Live Earth gigs around the globe last Saturday, Crowded House, headlining the Sydney concert, show themselves to be the exception to the rule about reunions. Where acts like the Police & others regroup for the money alone, Neil Finn & co. have a new album with which to announce their return. I'll be seeing them here in the UK later this year. Here's a relatively recent Crowded House track which confirms Finn's songwriting pedigree (it's also the sort of track which McCartney wishes he could still write):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6Is-TYt95hI .
unohoo
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine let me hold a Neil Finn disc out of the blue. I don't take kindly to the unsolicited pushing of music, but I took the disc and listened to it while working late one night. It wasn't bad stuff, but I didn't take to it.

Shannon's post got me to thinking about what I would have on my best of 2007, but this year has been real blah for me. I can only think of one cd that I truly enjoyed this year and that was R. Kelly's "Double Up". It is embarassing, but so what, that cd is good to me.

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
New INTERPOL suffers from a monotonous dynamic. Which is really no dynamic at all. It has a nice atmosphere but it gets tiring over the course of the whole cd. THE NATIONAL's "BOXER" is terrific. Great songs with guitar and drums that are always interesting and upfront in the mix.

GRINDERMAN is stll my cd of 2007 so far.
ehle64
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
Blonde Redhead's "23" is still my fave of '07.

Unfortunately, both sebby and hippster are correct in their critiques of INTERPOL's latest, however, I still like it.
I've also been listening to Charlotte Gainsbourgh's "5:55".

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
The new BLONDE REDHEAD is growing on me. I had a hard time with the vocals at first. Now, I'm starting to dig em. My initial response was the cd was a pretentious arty bore with irritating lead singer. But, upon closer listening, 23 has revealed some charm and hooks.
Marc
Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
the new Spoon is very poppy. Not as hardrockin' as the last one. It too is growing on me. New BAD BRAINS is pretty thin.

Top CDS of 2007, so far:

GRINDERMAN
ARTIC MONKEYS
TIM ARMSTRONG
ANDREW BIRD
TRACY THORN
THE NATIONAL
ARCADE FIRE