Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
The Shield is one of the greatest series in television history. Beautifully acted, directed, and written. A triumph in every area. If The Sopranos didn't exist, The Shield would be Best in Show.

Rent last season to see Forest Whitaker in the finest guest star appearance(s) in the whole history of the tube.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Another wanker.
zzzzzzzzzz.....
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I thimk the wire is like Russian Lit. its not easy but there is a there there. I am not sure if John has a there yet..

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
zzzzzzzzzz..... wrote:
I am not sure if John has a there yet..

I've got my eye on you!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
That makes two of us!
Marj
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and Btw, I know I'm late in commenting on the Studio 60 finale but ...

I'm a sentimentalist so I was welling up by the end. Even though this may have not been their best show, or even the best way to end it ...

*Major Sigh*
zzzzzzzzzz.....
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I think entourage has jumped the shark. I am having trouble watching it now. I have on demand and I find myself fast forwarding throught the show. For me that is never a good sign.

Has anyone seen the movie comandments? It had a fun premise but I think it was a straigh to video movie.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
zzzzzzzzzz..... wrote:
I think entourage has jumped the shark. I am having trouble watching it now. I have on demand and I find myself fast forwarding throught the show. For me that is never a good sign.

Has anyone seen the movie comandments? It had a fun premise but I think it was a straigh to video movie.

There is something amiss with the new season of Entourage I keep hoping that the show just needs more time with Ari, but I don't think that's it. I keep hoping for some tragedy in these guys lives, but they keep coming up roses.

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
There's a very interesting and sometimes powerful documentary on Showtime On-Demand called Semper Fi. It's about a marine, Jeff Keye, and his experience with being in one of the first troops to be sent to Iraq for this latest and greatest oil-mongering fiasco. He wrote it as a one-man show called "The Eyes of Babylon". Keye is also a gay Marine. I'm glad he told his (and apparently a LOT of other soldier's) side of this inhumane atrocity the Bush Administration still refers to as The War on TERROR. Highly recommended if you have an hour and 15 minutes and want to hear some real honesty and humanity.

Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:15 am Reply with quote
If the sneak peek I got at this season's Dexter (Showtime) means anything, Keith Carradine is in for a season-long guest shot, and it promises to be sensational.
Marj
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to say I had to drop my Showtime. So I never did get to see more of Dexter. I can only hope it will go to DVD.

I agree with Billy. It's an excellent show.
Earl
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Anybody catch Bill Maher's stand-up special on HBO Saturday night? If you like Maher, then that was him at the top of his game. No one, not even Jon Stewart (a performer I admire a lot), is better right now at working off of what is in the daily headlines than Maher. I believe it was a live broadcast that night, but HBO will probably rerun it a few thousand times.

It'd be difficult to discuss the issues Maher raises without the conversation drifting over to an area more appropriate for The Lobby, but it's enough to say that if your political and cultural views lean leftward, you'll lap up most of what he has to say.

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Earl,

Thanks for the reminder. I totally forgot. But I will catch ON DEMAND. And if you liked this I think you'll love his regular show. I don't know when it's returning, though.
marantzo
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw Maher in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. He was very good. At one point he went into all the fuck ups by Bush's guys in the Iraq war and then said "...and the only one who lost his job, was me."
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
The Shield is one of the greatest series in television history. Beautifully acted, directed, and written. A triumph in every area. If The Sopranos didn't exist, The Shield would be Best in Show.

Rent last season to see Forest Whitaker in the finest guest star appearance(s) in the whole history of the tube.

I have finally finished my summer viewing project of all episodes of the 5 seasons of "The Shield" on DVD and couldn't agree more with billy.

I'd add that "The Shield" is amazingly photographed. I find myself continually marveling at the shots. The camera moves, compositions, and the lighting are great.

The choice of locations is inventive, and I love the 2-story set of "The Barn," the old bldg. which houses the precinct. The "Shield's" Farmington precinct is based on the Ramparts Division, long known as one of the toughest and most brutal police divisions in L.A.

The fifth season with Forest Whitaker as the IAD lieutenant is intricately convoluted and keeps the viewer glued to the tube. The fourth season with Glenn Close as the police captain was the weakest IMO. Close, while not bad, was miscast.

It was a surprise to me to learn that producer/director Scott Brazil passed away in 2006 from 2 serious illnesses. Season 5 presents a touching tribute to him.