Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Befade
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
wish I knew how to put in a photo
Macca00
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
"Is Allan Klein still a hate figure here in Liverpool?" asked Mike Scott. It was halfway through The Waterboys gig in Liverpool last Friday, a typically joyous yet intense evening.
The audience were nonplussed. A few then started to laugh nervously. It was then that a Liverpudlian voice boomed out, "We've moved on from that, Mike. BTW, shame about John Lennon dying, wasn't it?"
Scott collapsed & then composed himself to relate the tale of Klein, a man who reportedly had over 200 lawsuits against him. Scott expressed horror at the thought of even one lawsuit & couldn't understand Klein's mindset. Then, he said, he finally got a handle on the guy: "He got off on it!", he exclaimed.
Scott then played a new song, "Sustain", a tale of thriving on the adrenalin brought on by stress & argument. Whether the song was directly about Klein was something Scott didn't elaborate on.
Touring with a new Waterboys line-up, save for the brilliant Steve Wickham on fiddle, Scott has released a new album, "Book Of Lightning", which also features a couple of outtakes from the seminal 1988 "Fisherman's Blues" sessions. One number from the album, "Strange Arrangement", evocative of "Something That Is Gone" from the "Room To Roam" album, held the audience spellbound.
No Waterboys gig would be complete without "Whole Of The Moon", although it arrived less than halfway through a two hour plus set. That might have prompted some to suspect that Scott was heartily sick of having to sing it for the umpteenth time & just wanted it dispensed with quickly. There was nothing in the band's attitude, performance & energy, however, to confirm that.
"Medicine Bow", from the "This Is The Sea" album in 1985, was given a riotous & exhilarating airing during the encore. It was the penultimate song of the evening, however, which took the breath away. Changing the tone, tempo & dynamic from the previous encore numbers, Scott performed "My Death", an introspective & positively funereal song written by Jacques Brel. Accompanied only by Richard Naiff on keyboards, it was a cold shiver of a meditation on mortality, totally at variance with the predominantly celebratory spirit of the evening.
That spirit returned for the final number, "Fisherman's Blues", which had the entire audience dancing deleriously.
Thanks, Mike.
ehle64
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
1985 & 1986 will be forever known as the years I played "This Is The Sea" probably 200 times. What a brill album that still holds up quite well.

Confession Time, I suppose: I have never heard of Allan Klein.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
1985 & 1986 will be forever known as the years I played "This Is The Sea" probably 200 times. What a brill album that still holds up quite well.

Allan Klein was, for a brief period in the late 60s, the Beatles' manager. After Brian Epstein's death in 1967, the business side of the Fab Four's operations was a mess. Lennon, with the backing of Harrison & Starr, wanted Klein to take control of the band's business affairs. Lennon had been swayed by favourable views of Klein's abilities from Mick Jagger. McCartney, however, wanted Lee Eastman, related to Linda, to take control. This dispute & other arguments accelerated the band's break-up.
juepucta
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
He managed to fuck up the Stones as well. He owns the catalog previous to Sticky Fingers. That is why all the comps cover either the period before or after 1970 (40 Licks was the first time ever both eras were put together). Everytime the Stones release something new he rereleases or repackages some of the old shit. Last time i think it was dance remixes of Sympathy for the Devil. That is also why The RnR Circus was only released at the end of the 90s. Klein and the band couldn't agre on aything. Any music you own with the ABKCO seal, it is him.

He also had some shit going on with Alejandro Jodorowski, the film maker. His movies finally made it to DVD recently(they never made VHS), after three decades, for the same reason. I might be mistaken but the same thing happened to Kenneth Anger. Roeg's Performance (w/Jagger), just got released after having to wait 30 yrs.

He seems to have been an all around a-hole and leach. I think his son runs the business now, wich is pretty much milking what they already own. A lot of mid 60s stuff that is worth a lot of dough.

-G.

Last edited by juepucta on Wed May 16, 2007 3:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

juepucta
Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention, his wikipedia entry provides some more info on the guy if you are curious. Allen Klein or ABKCO should get you there. I had completely forgotten about the Concert For Bangladesh crap until i checked it five minutes ago.

-G.

Last edited by juepucta on Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

ehle64
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Ahhh, ABKCO, but of course. Slimebucket 4 sure.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I challenge anyone to name a cooler looking band than Amy Winhouse's insouciant, bed sharing, pyjama wearing, bathtub lounging ensemble.

Go on.

Last edited by jeremy on Wed May 16, 2007 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
juepucta
Posted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I challenge anyone to name a cooler looking bad than Amy Winhouse's insouciant, bed sharing, pyjama wearing, bathtub lounging ensemble.

Go on.

Her current live band, The Dap Kings - Sharon Jones' backing band.

;)

But i know what you mean.

-G.

Macca00
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate news concerning Bo Diddley:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6664525.stm .
marantzo
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I saw Bo Diddley at the Macambo in Toronto in 1973. Small venue and the concert was wonderful. There was a dance floor and we danced. Who else has danced to Bo Diddley live? I never even thought about that until right now.

I really don't spend much time on here, so please excuse the following review. I finally heard the entire Bob Dylan Modern Times and burned a CD. It is really really good. In fact, great. Every time I listen to it, it's better.
Kate
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 1397 Location: Pacific Northwest
ehle64 wrote:

At the end of a fun surfing flick, Riding Giants, I heard this great song - This is the Sea - I fell for it and it is now in my regular rotation. I haven't heard the rest of the album, but if it is as good as that song - I am in.

And then while watching a dud of a film, Catch and Release, I heard many worthy songs. A very mellow soundtrack, but right up my alley - such as Razor by the Foo Fighters, Pills by Gary Jules, and What if you by Joshua Radin. Really nice soundtrack, like I said mellow - but nice.
juepucta
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
I was waiting, excitedly, for the Bo Didley gig here in Toronto. It has now been cancelled. Got into the man because of the Animals' version of "Bo Didley".

-G.

marantzo
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
juepuca, I imagine that Diddley wasn't scheduled to appear at the Mocambo this time. When I did see him there, it was sort of a fluke. I was in Toronto with a 19 year old woman and by chance we passed the Mocambo (I hope I have the name right), and there was a sign saying that Bo Diddley was playing there. She was a New Yorker and had a long (for a 19 year old) relationship with a guy who had a rock band, she screamed, "Bo Diddley!" To her he was legendary. I of course grew up with him. We went there that night.
daffy
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
...I was in Toronto with a 19 year old woman...

Bo would be proud.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/index.html