Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Befade
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
FYI:

Singer Amy Winehouse is engaged to boyfriend Blake Fielder-Civil, a source close to the singer confirms to PEOPLE.

Fielder-Civil, a 23-year old gofer for music videos, proposed earlier this week with a diamond ring from Tiffany.

"I'm a very lucky girl to have found someone I love so much," Winehouse, 23, told the U.K.'s The Sun newspaper, flashing her ring. "I hope to be with him for the rest of my life. We haven't set a date yet or anything like that."

The pair first started dating two and a half years ago, and Winehouse – who told PEOPLE in March that she has "12 or 13 tattoos ... I haven't counted" – promptly tattooed his name above her left breast. The pair later split because Fielder-Civil was also in another relationship – an experience that inspired Winehouse to write the track "Tears Dry On Their Own" on her album Back to Black.

Earlier this year, Winehouse split with her boyfriend of nearly a year, chef Alex Claire. A month ago, she and Fielder-Civil got back together.

Winehouse told The Sun: "He proposed at home a few days ago and I took a day to finally agree. Obviously we are both young and it is frightening. But it is the right thing to do. That is why I agreed."
jeremy
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Quote:
The pair first started dating two and a half years ago, and Winehouse – who told PEOPLE in March that she has "12 or 13 tattoos ... I haven't counted" – promptly tattooed his name above her left breast. The pair later split...

I think this could be filed under a section called 'Modern Day Love' or some such. Why do I find this endearing, but Brtiney's similar antics off-putting -snobbery? I think the main difference is that I feel Amy Winehouse is in control...sort of.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
shannon
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
Lily Allen has it all over Amy Winehouse in the Attractive British Pop Star Who Curses a Lot contest.
juepucta
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
shannon wrote:
Lily Allen has it all over Amy Winehouse in the Attractive British Pop Star Who Curses a Lot contest.

Maybe as far as "celebrity-ness" goes. But Winehouse is a better performer/musician all around.

-G.

shannon
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, honestly, neither are especially talented musicians. (Not that this matters; pop is all about personality and production.) Winehouse, her whole attitude, those "wild" antics, etc. all just seem so manufactured to me whereas Ms. Allen's success is wholely based upon her flat-out refusal to let herself be manufactured. (Everyone knows the story: Allen signs to her label, label wants to change her image, make her into another Kelly Clarkson or whatever, Allen says "fuck you" and puts her demos on her personal Myspace without label permission, songs become wildly popular, label is forced by the popularity of these songs to let her do what she wants.) Regardless of any of this, is there a song on Winehouse's record as fun and catchy as "LDN," "Smile," "Everything's Just Wonderful," or, hell, anything else on Alright, Still? I don't think so. And honestly, I just think Mark Ronson is an uninspired, boring producer.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
...whereas Ms. Allen's success is wholely based upon her flat-out refusal to let herself be manufactured. (Everyone knows the story: Allen signs to her label, label wants to change her image, make her into another Kelly Clarkson or whatever, Allen says "fuck you" and puts her demos on her personal Myspace without label permission, songs become wildly popular, label is forced by the popularity of these songs to let her do what she wants.)

Any artist that does that is not only confident in their music, but also deserves to be respected on that alone. The bonus is having the music be something worth listening.

jeremy
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I like Ms Allen and Ms Soveriegn because they don't take themselves too seriously and their work is infused with humour. I find the oh so serious and hard nosed Beyonce increasingly unattractive.

ehle64
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
I dig the whole shit of "Smile". Great pop record with attitude, but.

Amy Winehouse is in a totally different league. A league of her own that harkens to every thing I love about chicks and pop music. I sniff her out like she was Tangueray and find the odor oh, so, pleasant.

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quote
I know what you mean, for all her jazzy and blues stylings, she's rock 'n' roll.

ehle64
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Just got back from The Bowery Ballroom after witnessing my 12th or so time of Kristin Hersh and her musical genius. She is my pixie. My wide-eyed know-it-all. If anyone is around anywhere she may be playing, do yourselves a favor and buy tickets. See her. Hear her.

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
When you're head over heels

In Shock

and the Little Green
Apples falling all around you

Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Getting Up Is What HURTs!

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Here's a reminder of why Two-Tone was so refreshing & exciting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGDQ85Dg-ss .
Befade
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
Amy Winehouse update:

Drew Barrymore and Carmen Diaz caught Amy Winehouse's performance at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., on Saturday.

If I'd only known......I could have been there in 6 hours.
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Amy Winehouse update:

Drew Barrymore and Carmen Diaz caught Amy Winehouse's performance at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif., on Saturday.

If I'd only known......I could have been there in 6 hours.

I don't know if either of their performances were webcast via attblueroom.com

But the one performance that I was very happy to catch was the reunion of Crowded House (without Paul Hester, of course). It wasn't that bad. I'm looking forward to their new album in July.

And speaking of Coachella, I missed the Rage Against The Machine performance (which may not have been webcast). Curious to see what sort of form they are in. Last time I saw them was November 1999. And then in 1992 when they opened for U2. Great band to see live... so I would image they put on a good show.