Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

ehle64
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:36 am Reply with quote
and why high high, high high high highhhh, ha high high highhhh, do you send me silly notes. . .

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
and why high high, high high high highhhh, ha high high highhhh, do you send me silly notes. . .

Since I typed that post this morning, it's the song that's been in my head since.

And love your sig... next Tuesday.... new NIN... Year Zero. Can't wait.

shannon
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
You don't have to wait. Trent Reznor put the whole thing up on the NIN website for free. Listen away. And enjoy. It's his best since The Downward Spiral.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
You don't have to wait. Trent Reznor put the whole thing up on the NIN website for free. Listen away. And enjoy. It's his best since The Downward Spiral.

Going there now. Thanks, shannon.

I've not been out to the Year Zero site for a while. And I missed the listening party they had last month. So anxious to hear it.

chillywilly
Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ok. Year Zero kicks ass.... After a few listens today, *almost* better than The Fragile, which I love and consider Reznor's best.

Given time, this thing may surpass that.

jeremy
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
What's currently cool in middle England? Fuckin' nuffink! If you visit my daughter's blog you will either be greeted by a burst of The Smiths or X-Ray Spex, who I saw almost exactly thrity years ago at the now defunct Hope & Anchor in Islington High Street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrRRdkQaaRU

Though I was somewhat gratified that she and her peers are making choices that affrim my youth, I am also uneasy that she should be so accepting, let alone seeking out the music of a previous generation. Aren't we supposed to hate our parents. However, reflecting on my own youth, it was not my fathers' taste I despised. In fact, I was genuinely impressed, though I never said so, with his ability to play a mean blues at the piano (fortunately, he didn't try to accompany himself in an approximation of a Mississippi drawl, that would have been too much). No, it was the increasingly complacent baby boomers, those only ten years or so older than me that I wanted to kick down the escalators on the Northern Line at The Angel (one of the Tubes' deepest stations)...you think I'm joking.

In these fast moving, lean production, short shelf-life times, the generation gap appears to have narrowed to less than a decade. Wanna get a reaction, ask my daughter what she thinks of Oasis.

Of course, it will all change next week.

Last edited by jeremy on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Macca00
Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Good to see X-Ray Specs again. Polly Styrene was an underrated singer. Also check out their 1980 hit, "Germ-Free Adolescence". What you say about the older babyboomers is so true, jeremy. In my case it was the older sad sods who complained when John Peel started to play punk on his programme; Barclay James Harvest or Buzzcocks? No contest really.
jeremy
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Isn't the internet wonderful. I love YouTube, a key to forgotten moments and feelings. I'm sorry to bore you with recollections of my youth, but perhpas you'll allow me onemore indulgence.

In retrospect, as their second album proved, The Damned, were nothing special and their stylings owed a lot to a New York scene, which in late '76 I didn't even know existed. I'd also never come across The Clash or The Buzzcocks or a bunch of wankers known as the Bromley contingent, though I'd heard about (though not heard) their favourite band, an unsavoury bunch known as The Sex Pistols. However, that all began to change when in a bedroom in suburban Essex, a callow youth with nothing better to do was listening to late night radio, a rock show presented by a certain Mr Peel, and they played New Rose by The Damned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja52hfLh3RI

Up unitl that moment, I'd never really understood what rock 'n' roll was.

Rod
Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Dec 2004 Posts: 2944 Location: Lithgow, Australia
J'dig le Arctic Monkeys beaucoup. Et Goldrapp est certainment le premium bonkable femme.

I recall in my high school days bewildering and distressing my father by listening to his old Bob Dylan tapes and completely ignoring the charts at the time.

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm!

Quote:
Yo! Sushi currently offers its takeaway customers the Love Will Tear Us Apart salmon and tuna box set, a selection of sashimi, nigri, maki and salad with tangy sunomono dressing, the latter presumably ideal for ridding yourself of "the taste in your mouth as desperation takes hold", as the song's lyric had it. The box set forms part of a menu on which every item is named after a classic song, including the Relight My Fire prawn yakisoba and the Sexual Healing salmon sashimi.

"Some of them are a little more tangential than others," explains a spokeswoman for Yo! Sushi, when asked what the link was between Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis' agonised meditation on the break-up of his marriage - originally released a month after his suicide in May 1980 - and coriander-seared tuna and beetroot-marinated salmon. "It's not so much that we're making an affiliation to Joy Division, it's just that it's a great song."

If nothing else, the products are timely. This year sees the release of Control, photographer Anton Corbijn's long-awaited Ian Curtis biopic. Rumours that it will be accompanied by a tie-in with McDonald's - involving a new jingle based on the lyrics of Decades ("portrayal of the trauma and degeneration, the sorrows we suffered and never were free ... I'm lovin' it"), and the Ian Curtis Happy Meal - remain unconfirm-ed at time of going to press.

Befade
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Wade........go to people.com for this:

Singer Amy Winehouse Engaged
ehle64
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I reckon she got tired of sayin' no, no, no.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Smokin' hot couple!

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Who's the dude?

juepucta
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
Bah. No wonder she isn't returning my calls.

Back to courting Sharon Jones.

-G.