Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

lady wakasa
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Hunh... it was supposed to play in NYC just over December, and the last time I checked (which is now ten seconds ago), it was still playing the IFC Center.

The time I went, they were also offering see-nine-times,-see-the tenth time free (or was it seven and eight?). I mean, I really liked figuring out the film, but ten times is a lot...

inlareviewer
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Chilly: You'd think so. Am rather bewildered myself. Perhaps it will turn up on the revival-cinema/screening series circuit.

lady w.: Maybe a tad. Then again, the Lynch Mob is nothing if not dedicated.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
lady w.: Maybe a tad. Then again, the Lynch Mob is nothing if not dedicated.

Not to be confused with this Lynch Mob:

inlareviewer
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
LOL!

Have we ever seen them photographed together?

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think so.

And I don't think George Lynch's music (Dokken, Lynch Mob or solo) has ever been in a David Lynch film. That would add too much confusion to the movie.... Laughing

mo_flixx
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I saw NOTES ON A SCANDAL this p.m. It's dame judijudijudi, for sure!

Certainly, one of the most brilliant portrayals of a sociopath I've ever seen. Dame Judi's narrative provides such insight into her arrogance and narcissism.

Befade, I suspected that the novel's ending WAS different from the film's. There are a few things about the ending of the film that don't ring true to me. Thanks for telling us about the differences.

BTW if the film had gotten a wider release & more PR earlier, I suspect that Cate Blanchett would have gotten a Best Supporting nomination. I believe that she deserved it.
Marc
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Saw CHILDREN OF MEN again. Without question, it is my favorite film of 2006.
inlareviewer
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
There are a few things about the ending of the film that don't ring true to me..
The ending didn't ring true for me either. It, like the tone and tenor of the whole, is significantly different from the novel. Since many may not have read it and/or seen it, will leave it at that.

Am so longing to see Children of Men (and Pan's Labyrinth, and on, and on), but besides deadline time constraints and monetary considerations, the annual local dramatical critical spherical awards are afoot.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's always like this.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
inlareviewer wrote:
mo_flixx wrote:
There are a few things about the ending of the film that don't ring true to me..
The ending didn't ring true for me either. It, like the tone and tenor of the whole, is significantly different from the novel. Since many may not have read it and/or seen it, will leave it at that.

In la --

feel free to send me a PM about SCANDAL. I sympathize with your not being able to see the other films. Wish you luck!
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
I saw NOTES ON A SCANDAL this p.m. It's dame judijudijudi, for sure!

Certainly, one of the most brilliant portrayals of a sociopath I've ever seen. Dame Judi's narrative provides such insight into her arrogance and narcissism.

Befade, I suspected that the novel's ending WAS different from the film's. There are a few things about the ending of the film that don't ring true to me. Thanks for telling us about the differences.

BTW if the film had gotten a wider release & more PR earlier, I suspect that Cate Blanchett would have gotten a Best Supporting nomination. I believe that she deserved it.

She got an Oscar nomination. If you mean Blanche nominiation, I'm nominating her for star--along with Judijudijudi, natch.
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:10 am Reply with quote
Befade--Thanks for the excerpt from the Notes novel. I think I prefer the movie's ending.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
I probably would have made it all the way through Eraserhead if Lynch had used Dokken's awesomely awesome power ballad, Alone Again, in the score.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
I probably would have made it all the way through Eraserhead if Lynch had used Dokken's awesomely awesome power ballad, Alone Again, in the score.

Yo, dawg. Nice to hear from you. You couldn't make it all the way through Eraserhead? That's too bad--it's a great movie.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
Thanx, bro. Good to peek my head in the old neighborhood.

So far my favoritte film of 06 is Little Miss Sunshine, but I haven't seen a whole lot.

That Jennifer Hudson sure can sing, though, huh?

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote
Discussion comments on NOTES ON A SCANDAL at the imdb.com seem to imply that alternate endings were shot. One viewer talks about filling out preview forms and being told by the studio that the ending could be changed.

There is speculation that the film's release was hurried up in time for Academy Award consideration.