Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Macca00
Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Here's a pleasant way to spend a spare few minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGrEZH7j1bQ .
lshap
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Macca - Thanks. Reminded again of how good Lennon's singing voice really was.
Macca00
Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
First thing to relate: just got back from a wonderful gig here in Liverpool, headlined by local band, Dead 60s, Liverpool singer-songwriter Candie Payne, & The Coral. As a Christmas primer, it worked a treat. The Coral, sometimes terse & sarcastic, were warmly humourous, exuding yuletide bonhomie. In the audience, fresh from their own recent UK tour were The Zutons. All the proceeds from the gig are going to a local children's hospital, so we didn't feel so bad about drinking a few more than usual tonight. Some enterprising Liverpudlian soul might post a video of it on YouTube before a DVD is issued.
Second thing: coming across the Beatles videos on YouTube last week was like a childhood reverie, so many tracks, so many warm memories. I could bore you all to death with the stuff I've been playing. However, one that caught my eye was a film made by a local TV crew of the Beatles at the Cavern club in 1962, just before they recorded their first album, "Please Please Me". Introduced by the venue's DJ & MC, Bob Wooller, who once played with my parents in a Liverpool swing band in the 50s, the Fab Four cover the R&B standard, "Some Other Guy". The clip isn't just notable for being the first footage to be televised on British T.V., it's also the first gig that Ringo Starr played with the group. Ringo replaced Pete Best on drums, a move which their then Liverpool fanbase found hard to accept. As the Beatles went on to change so much about popular ( & not so popular) music, Pete Best shuffled off to part time gigs with other Merseybeat bands, yet this detour didn't last long; by 1967, when "Sgt. Pepper" was released, Best was reported by the local press as working full time in a local bakery. By the 1970s, he was working for the British Civil Service, where he worked with my mother. He's now an annual feature at the annual Matthew Street Festival in Liverpool. Keep your ears peeled for the crowd's reaction at the end of the number when you can hear some of the audience shout, "We Want Pete!"
As for Bob Wooler, he sadly passed away, a few years' ago.
Just log on to the YouTube site & type in: Beatles/ Some Other Guy .
unohoo
Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't regularly watch SNL, but I caught like the first 30-60 minutes of it last night with Justin Timberlake. My wife and I were cracking up at this Special Christmas Box skit: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/videos/

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
So I'm listening to Nas' latest Hip Hop Is Dead, and it's darn good. In general, Nas doesn't flow as well as he used to, and his lyrics aren't as dense with imagery as they used to be, but the man is still able to deliver some of the rawest stuff out there even though his discs aren't as consistent as you would like them to be.

I first heard the title track by watching the video, which doesn't do the song much justice. Because in the contect of the disc, HHID is a good song. Will.i.am of Black Eyed Peas fame has quietly become the go-to guy for production for some raw hip-hop. I know he produced Game's Compton which is one of the stronger cuts on his album and he also did Nas' HHID and Can't Forget About You which samples Nat King Cole's Unforgettable in a great way. But the best songs on here are the collaborations, one with Kanye, another with Snoop (dizzle) and of course the monster track with Jay-Z Black Republican which just kills me everytime I hear it.

Don't know if Jay-Z's tenure as president of Def Jam is a success in terms of sales, but I can say that this is the most Def Jam product I've bought since the glory days (late 80's) when I would buy Def Jam without knowing who/what I was buying.

Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
The new CLIPSE album is good. Minimal, intense, great lyrics.
unohoo
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it is. My initial reaction to it was kinda cold, but I warmed up to it quick. It even made me reconsider the mixtape We Got It 4 Cheap Vol 2 and now I guess I see what all the hype was about. They've got some great voices, they have some great flows, and their lyrics are pretty good.

Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
As the year ends, lest we forget (among others):
Syd Barrett
Ruth Brown
Desmond Dekker
Arthur Lee
Wilson Pickett
Billy Preston
Lou Rawls.
unohoo
Posted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
Add the Godfather of Soul to that list. James Brown passes Christmas Day.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Obit-Brown.html?hp&ex=1167109200&en=7b2c52eb394d9620&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
Madonna's Confessions tour in HD is amazing. So fucking cool that she conquered that medium straight off the bat. Hot SHIT!

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:42 pm Reply with quote
THE FIRST 4 HOURS OF MY 8 HOUR BEST OF 2006 RADIO SHOW:

http://www.radiointaos.com/radiofreepodcast/
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Enjoying the music, not sure about the DJ though.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
This is some fuckin' world. Hear I am, an English guy in Australia listening to a Taos radio show hosted by a guy NewYorker who I met in utopia ('no place' for those who need to brush up on their Latin).

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:

Nice.

hey movielover, remind me to put these on your iPod.... there's some great songs here that I know you'll like.

juepucta
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
Marc wrote:

Hey man, enjoying the show. I just started hour two.

Can't say that i agree with all the choices, but i am with you on 95% of them so far. This could have been my best of 06.

Anyway, back to the listening.

-G.