Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Marc
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hate exhortations to dance. Its not the job of the audience to provide affirmation for the performer. If a band's got what it takes, they don't have to ask.

How about waving your hands in the air and actin' like ya just don't care.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:53 am Reply with quote
Dude. Your avatar is so Inland Empire.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
The second Summer of Love was the defining moment for a generation. The hand in glove embrace of rave music and Ecstasy was the perfect cure for the English social dis-ease and much better than their usual treatment of choice, the consumption of conspicuous quantities of cheap alcohol. The dancers were not oblivious to those around them, but rather in a state of communal empathy.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
movielover14
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
Marc wrote:
The Art Of Headbanging.

Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly and Vanilla Fudge are thought to be, by people who think of such things, the first “heavy metal” bands. Their music consisted of a loud wall of guitars and a big bottom, grounded by a Neanderthal thud. And riding on top: vocals by men who sounded like their balls were caught in a threshing machine. While I dug those ’60s bands, I missed out on the metal/glam wave of the early ’70s. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep and Bowie came out with records at a time that I was listening to jazz and blues. For the most part, I was bored by the rock and roll that came out in the first half of the ’70s. Art rock bands like Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd less Syd Barrett and Tommy era Who represented everything that I had come to loathe about rock and roll: bloated egos playing self-important sludge. So, I wasn’t listening. Well, three decades later and there is a new wave of heavy metal and this time I’m paying attention.
Killswitch Engage (from New England) and Mastodon (Georgia) are nu-metal bands whose sound doesn’t owe much to the metal bands of the ‘70s. For one thing, their music isn’t blues-based like Zeppelin and they play a lot faster. But lyrically they do delve into the same hippie dippy mystical crap as Sabbath and Zep, a mashup of Aleister Crowley, LSD and Tolkien. And yet, lyrics like these from Mastodon roll off a tongue firmly in cheek:

“Elephant spirits
Tower of ivory
Story of ancient deities
Seizure of the fleece
Protector of its place
Fly thru dreamscapes
Of valleys gullies and spires
Herd across suicidal slopes
Changeless moonshines
Circle cyclops image
A race of one-eyed beings
All feared and shunned”

Killswitch and Mastodon are tighter, rhythmically more inventive and less florid than their forebears. Modern production and the bands’ musical dexterity leave the metal bands of the ‘70s in the dust. Perhaps it’s a result of more discipline and less drugs, but these two bands have pushed a dinosaur genre into the future. For those unfamiliar with nu-metal bands, the assumption is that the music is dumb, crude and marketed to moronic headbangers. Not so. These bands experiment with tempo, polyrhythm, complex arrangements and improvisation that often rivals the work of free jazz geniuses like Ornette Coleman and Miles Davis. They may be metal, but they ain’t heavy. They’re fast, loud, aggressive and highly experimental. This music has an intellectual aspect, an artfulness, that the uninitiated might be surprised by.
On the other hand, Australian trio Wolfmother is a neo-metal band with a primitive retro style that would make Jimmy Page and Ozzy proud. These guys love the melodrama of metal, its operatic bombast and epic silliness. Wolfmother, like Zeppelin, weave a certain delicateness into their music, embellishing big riffs with soaring melodies. These 20-something longhairs fancy themselves bards, poets, folkies. While most metal bands celebrate the dark side, Wolfmother come on like the Incredible String Band on steroids. Their sunny utopian fantasies smack of sixties idealism:

“Say goodbye to your sorrow,
And hello to tomorrow,
Well I hear the fiddlers call,
Say that love is here for all,
Lower your guns even if love turns to spite,
We may find the enemy waiting inside,
Light the candle to see what may unfold”

So, as the rest of the world burns, Wolfmother is busy lighting candles and dreaming of a world that never was and never will be - poetry powered by 50,000 watts. If Mastodon is a musical H.P. Lovecraft, Wolfmother is William Blake.

The idea of a 55 year old guy listening to music that has traditionally been the domain of shoe-gazing, longhaired, mouthbreathers could be construed as a desperate attempt at reviving his lost youth or some form of seriously arrested development. But,that ain't the case. Bands like Killswitch Engage really do deserve the respect of music fans, regardless of age. As rock fans have grown up, so has the music. The bands may be young, but the music is forever.

Recommended listening:
Wolfmother’s self-titled debut.
Mastodon - “Blood Mountain”
Killswitch Engage - “As Daylight Dies”

I love the Wolfmother album! I haven't heard the new Mastodon or Killswitch Engage albums yet. I will have to listen to them.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Brilliant piece, Marc.

The only small standout I noticed was this line about Wolfmother...

"These 20-something longhairs fancy themselves bards..."

Physically, none of them have long hair, unless you count Andrew Stockdale's 'fro when it's wet.

Let's just say if were possible to "wear out" the portion of my iPod where Wolfmother and Killswitch Engage reside like I used to wear out my often played cassette tapes and LPs, I'd need to replace my iPod months ago.

He does have a cool fro! Wink That's true you can't wear out an iPod. I would have to replace mine too. I've listened to Wolfmother a lot on mine too.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
ehle,

TV ON THE RADIO's RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN is a strong contender for my favorite album of 2006.

I love that album too! I love TV On The Radio too! It's a very good album. It would have to be on my list of favorite albums of 2006 too.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:28 am Reply with quote

I've heard of the band before. I haven't heard their music before though. It's a catchy song. I like it.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
jeremy wrote:
I hate exhortations to dance. Its not the job of the audience to provide affirmation for the performer. If a band's got what it takes, they don't have to ask.

Way to write off the entirety of James Brown's catalog.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
movielover14 wrote:
I haven't heard the new Mastodon or Killswitch Engage albums yet. I will have to listen to them.

I forgot to put the new KsE on your iPod the other day. We'll have to do that next time. I think you'll like it.

Macca00
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
movielover14 wrote:

I've heard of the band before. I haven't heard their music before though. It's a catchy song. I like it.

I like it. It's got an infectious riff & the chorus is decent. Shades of the B52s' "Rock Lobster".
Macca00
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
It's pleasantly surprising what you can unearth on YouTube. Came across a semi-forgotten gem earlier from Liverpool's finest, recording, "Hey, Bulldog".
jeremy
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
shannon wrote:
jeremy wrote:

Fair enough, some can get away with it and sometimes you welcome the invitation. Maybe it's just my contrary streak, but with some artists I get the impression that they seem to think it's the audience's fault that the 'joints not hopping'.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or have the Grammys hit an all time low?

I don't mind some music and artists. Even Mary J. Blige is ok in my book, but most of the nominees are just pitiful. At least a band like Red Hot Chili Peppers got 6 nods.

I used to look forward the Grammys years ago. Now I really don't have much interest in watching, let alone not caring who wins.

juepucta
Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
shannon wrote:
jeremy wrote:

I think he was more concerned with getting to the bridge than dancing ;)

At least he kept asking Maceo to take him there.

-G.

zwirnm
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 May 2004 Posts: 46 Location: Washington, District of Columbia
My first experience with the Pernice Brothers was back in May 1998, at the time that Joe Pernice had just created the band — his second after the Scud Mountain Boys — and had the Sub Pop imprimatur. Pernice's roots at the time were strongly alt-country, with growing influences from orchestral pop (Beach Boys, Zombies). Over the past eight years, while Pernice lost the Sub Pop connections and has run what is effectively a vanity label in Boston (Ashmont Records), his visibility has actually grown. Following a now-recognized template for independent artists, Pernice has won an increasingly large following with his vast and expanding catalog of superbly literate, catchy pop songs and his triple-threat résumé of recording, writing (one book of poetry, a fictional memoir structured around the Smiths' Meat is Murder) and now acting (Gilmore Girls). His superb wordplay and inventive lyrics have also won increasing attention from the literary community, with Nick Hornby, George Pelacanos and other citing Pernice Brothers songs as influences.

The most recent Pernice Brothers albums, Discover a Lovelier You and Live a Little, have featured greater emphasis on twitchy electric guitars, courtesy of Peyton Pinkerton, and some strong New Wave touches (Cure, Smiths, New Order). This style of music is more outwardly engaging with its potential audiences than the Scud Mountain Boys' morose alt-country, and easier to tour with than the strings- and horn- supplemented first Pernice Brothers album, Overcome By Happiness. Since I've now seen Joe and his various bands something like six or seven times, it's great to see a large and enthusiastic crowd at their shows, including last Wednesday's at the Black Cat in Washington.

The set list on Wednesday was strongly drawn from Discover a Lovelier You and Live a Little, with fewer contributions from the earlier Scuds and Pernice records than other shows I've seen. Yours, Mine and Ours was also featured strongly. Peyton Pinkerton's electric soloing was highlighted to a degree that I haven't seen before, especially on "There Goes the Sun" and "Saddest Quo" (Discover a Lovelier You) and the nervous "Automaton" from Live a Little. What I found fascinating was the increasing role that keyboards have played in the band's evolution — with the jittery guitar soloes and keyboard emphasis, one can imagine Pernice fronting a New Wave band from Britain in the 1980s. Until you hear him sing, that is. Pernice has a smooth, velvety croon and sings his vivid lyrics of despair and anomie while strumming an acoustic guitar, like a classic solo singer-songwriter. It's the contrast between the snappy pop of his band and the engrossing, introspective lyrics that gives the Pernice Brothers some of their appeal. But mostly it's the songs — Pernice is simply one of the best lyricists in pop, with some debts to Elvis Costello and a periodic overemphasis on wordplay, but the ability to spell out a compelling short story in scanning couplets is almost unmatched. A solo version of "Bum Leg" was jaw-dropping in its miserable splendor.

Pernice's melodic gifts are equally impressive. The set closed with several tracks from The World Won't End, the second album under the Pernice Brothers name, and "7:30" and "Working Girls" are utterly rapturous pop songs. Those, and newer tracks like "PCH One" and "Conscience Clean (I Went to Spain") are as catchy as a long-lost Kinks or Big Star single. "Flaming Wreck" ended the show with a lengthy electric guitar jam between Pinkerton and the multiple-instrumentalist James Welbourne, who also played keyboard and saxophone. It all was thoroughly impressive, even though Pernice's vocals weren't at their best and I regretted the omission of a few Pernice classics ("Bryte Side," "Crestfallen," the new "Cruelty to Animals") and a cover of the Pretenders' "Talk of the Town" they used to play.

Opener Elvis Perkins did a very good set of contemporary singer-songwriter material with some possible comparisons to David Gray, but the most striking comparison was to the Irish singer Andy White, particularly in the vaguely Celtic-soul singing style that Elvis affected. (I say "affected," because from his accent, Perkins is definitely not Irish.) "Ash Wednesday," the title song from his new album was the highlight — a meandering Joycean folk-rock jam.