Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

bart
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
We are entering the annual television armpit, aka the "holiday" season. Visit your local library!

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Fucking Christians.
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Hey, watch the mouth!

Besides. We can't take ALL the blame. Don't forget about Hanukkah,Ssolstice, Kwanzaa, Eid al Adha. And that dread of all holidays which is now upon us - FOOTBALL SEASON!

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes.. it is FOOTBALL season, but more specifically NFL Playoffs are making their way. Of course, for me it doesn't matter since the last few weeks, both of my teams (49rs and Raiders) have mastered the art of sucking major ass. I'll still watch with a hope and longing.

Marj
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Thanks for the correction, billy. Tony, Troy, Trumpet... too many T's.

Can't believe I got another name wrong. Here is a list of all the musicians from last night's show. And this includes past musicians as well.

http://www.nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/music/
marantzo
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote
dl, on Channuka we light some candles, spin a dreidel and eat some latkes. You don't see Kol Yisroel changing their TV schedule. Wink
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
Thanks for the correction, billy. Tony, Troy, Trumpet... too many T's.

Can't believe I got another name wrong. Here is a list of all the musicians from last night's show. And this includes past musicians as well.

http://www.nbc.com/Studio_60_on_the_Sunset_Strip/music/

I was the one that got it wrong. You were correct.

Earl
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Last night's Studio 60 was the best episode yet. and by quite a large margin. It was a truly great episode, on a level the show had not previously reached. There were hearty laughs, acccessible and universal, and there were honest tears. I swear at the ending I was weeping buckets--not only through the trumpet but also through the romantic travails of the two guys. It was the kind of episode I will never ever forget. And the kind that will give a quantum leap in popularity to the show.

Word.

billyweeds wrote:
Just incidentally, the episode gave Bradley Whitford's Danny his first real shot. He's been seriously underused up to this point, but tonight he was so spectacularly good that I hope to see more and more of him. Matthew Perry was as wonderful as usual.

And again with the Word.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:55 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
The clever opening skit had me rolling... The Dateline parody on Santa coming into the homes... great.

Completely agree. This was the first time a "skit within the show" has actually made me laugh. Very clever and worthy of a top-rank comedy show.

And triple Word score! Loved, loved, loved that sketch!

Dateline: To Catch a Predator reporter: "So why are you visiting the home of a 12 year-old girl in the middle of the night?"

Santa: "Uh, she wrote me a letter."

Reporter: (voiceover) "Santa went on to confess that he's been doing this" (a beat) "for years."

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Mo wrote: "Chilly -
I have an iMac (graphite) with OS 9 and DSL (256 but usually slower). I don't think I can possibly download any TV shows on it. It has a rough time playing anything on YouTube & other videos. Do you happen to know if I can download shows with OSX?
This particular iMac can be switched to OSX. I would have to have my files downloaded to CD's, then reinstalled if I converted to OSX."

I've been living with an iMac OS 8.6 with dial up. Try that for fun Shocked
I'm on my way to CA to get my Christmas present from my son: a mac mini. (I think that's what it's called.)
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
I've been living with an iMac OS 8.6 with dial up. Try that for fun Shocked
I'm on my way to CA to get my Christmas present from my son: a mac mini. (I think that's what it's called.)

Wow... OS 8/6 has long been gone from the Macs here. My oldest Mac, which sites idle a lot, is running OS 9.1 (that's the latest it will take... can't even upgrade it to 9.22).

What Mac are you currently running, Betsy?

And yes, that would be a Mac mini. That's the one I'm using to type this post. It's on 24/7. You'll like the mini... small, quiet and very cool looking. If it's the latest model, it's a lot faster than the one I have (mine is 18 months old).

Sorry for the off topic... gotta talk Mac shop when it comes up.

billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
Copied from Behind the Curtain:

marantzo wrote:
It was a great episode, Marj, One of the best, and that's saying a lot.

Word. One of the loveliest moments in this uncharacteristically sentimental (in a very good way) episode was the scene at the party between Claire and Clarence. Unexpected and strangely moving, with a wonderful delivery of her last line by Constance Zimmer. And then they followed it up with a brief shot of Claire and Clarence chatting--no doubt about the subject in question.

The final "confrontation" between Alan and Denny had an unusual punch. And Bethany's exit was indescribably sad. It was, as marantz says, one of the best episodes yet.

The holiday season has really inspired some of these series writers. Studio 60 and Boston Legal have revivified the tired old "Christmas episode" deal.
billyweeds
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quote
That was about Boston Legal, btw.
carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
There were a couple of elements about last night's Boston Legal that seemed odd to me. One was that Shirley didn't think Alan would win the case against the woman who wanted custody of her sister's twins, but it seemed pretty clear to me that no judge would separate healthy happy kids from devoted parents, whatever their nasty political/personal attitudes. But maybe Shirley just wanted to tease Alan, knowing she had the rabbit suit ready.

The other was the "God" lawsuit. As soon as the widow said she'd been talking to her husband on his cellphone when he was struck by lightning, I thought, There's your case. But it took Clarence to alert them to it.

Otherwise, great show. A moment of anxiety when Denny became angry with Alan--Don't fight, boys! I wanted to cry. A little tension between them rather enhances the relationship, though. And I was so glad Shirley didn't have a Playboy outfit. (Though it would have been fun to see Alan wearing it...)
marantzo
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And I was so glad Shirley didn't have a Playboy outfit. (Though it would have been fun to see Alan wearing it...)

I would have had no complaints about Shirley wearing it. So you'd rather have Alan wearing it? Sexist.