Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

grace
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
carrobin,
Daybreak is in the old Lost spot, Wednesdays at 9pm on ABC.

I like Heroes a lot, too. And last night, they took away my one gripe with the show when Ali Larter's character split into two beings. Up 'til then, I couldn't help thinking that her superpower was actually a psychosis, ie multiple personality disorder.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
I couldn't believe that the next Heroes will be on January 22. I just hope they don't crash the ratings with such a long stretch before the next new show.
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I think 1/2 the shows out there are pulling back until January 22. We are now in re-run re-run land................Help, help!

Do you know, I can remember when there was no such thing as "reruns" - course I'm older than dirt!

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
There are still reruns. Now they're known as repeats--or, for the more pretentious, Encore Presentations. Reruns were consistent and you could catch up with shows you missed; repeats are helter-skelter.

We are entering the Holiday Season, however, where the TV networks gather their artillery to warm your heart, no matter what it takes.
Earl
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
More on Daybreak:

Another aspect of the show's writing and acting that is well-done is the way the main character is slowly coming to the realization that he didn't know those around him nearly as well as he thought he did. He's also learning that their opinion of him was shaky enough that, depending on how he acts from day to day, he might alienate them or endear them. The loyalty from them that he thought would be automatic in a crisis might be there, or might not. The one exception to this is his girlfriend and even she wonders what's going on with him sometimes.

The show has its running gags, too. There's a lady in a coffee shop who will be hit by a bus unless she is distracted for a moment. On this particular day the Los Angeles Dodgers are playing a day game in which they make a miraculous 9th inning comeback from several runs down, which allows our hero to predict this longshot with total confidence.

Daybreak is structured around a gimmick, to be sure. But its makers have placed on that foundation some clever ideas, plotting that keeps the tension high, and superb acting.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote
So here is where you're discussing Heros. Now I'm going to have to go back to September and read. *sigh*

I have to because I'm really becoming confused.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Isn’t it rather touching that it is assumed that most of those invested with super powers feel inclined to use them for good. I reckon I’m on the side of the good guys, but if I had the ability to read minds, say, I suspect I would have a struggle not to use that power to help me get on in the world.

So what is the subtext with this whole superheroes thing? Is it validation of American military superiority - trust us we’re only use our powers for good - or a defence of the whole socio-political order, of trickle down economics and noblesse oblige.

I’d like to see a series with a super-not-so-regular Joe who uses his powers to accrue wealth and get inside girls’ knickers – just like happens in the real world when somebody has a little bit more to offer.

Long live the revolution!

And to answer your question, I've not seen [i]Heroes[/b].

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Quote:
[i]Heroes[/b].

My indecision writ not-so-large in 11pt font

carrobin
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Jeremy: If you were watching Heroes, you'd know that they're not particularly devoted to using their powers for good--in fact, their powers only recently appeared, and they're still learning what they can do. The main thing that keeps most of them committed is knowing that there's going to be a worldwide catastrophe that only they can prevent.

Though Syler still confuses me. I don't know how he went from (what seemed to be) a reasonable young watchmaker to the super villain. Maybe I missed something.
jeremy
Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I did the writers and makers of Heroes a disservice.

Note to self - try to stick to commenting on shows you've seen.

I still wonder what super 'heroes' are for though. Are they a God sustitute?

Syd
Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
So what happens if Peter Petrelli meets the Haitian?

Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
Granted, things in TVland aren't always what they seem, but I got the impression that Peter Petrelli isn't going to be meeting anyone any more. Or do you mean that if he meets the Haitian, he'll forget he's dead? (There I go, assuming again....)
Earl
Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Saw an item recently which said that Daybreak is losing viewers each week. It's probably going to get cancelled soon, now that I'm really digging it. This is Reunion all over again for me. I'm getting the same feeling in my gut that I get when I know that a woman is going to break up with me soon, but she hasn't gotten around to telling me yet.

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Peter's apparently going to be in a coma for a while. Not entirely sure why, except that he met a bunch of Heroes in a short period of time.

Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
Saw an item recently which said that Daybreak is losing viewers each week. It's probably going to get cancelled soon, now that I'm really digging it. This is Reunion all over again for me. I'm getting the same feeling in my gut that I get when I know that a woman is going to break up with me soon, but she hasn't gotten around to telling me yet.

Alas, I was right. The news came today that ABC has cancelled Daybreak. The reason was, of course, low ratings.

So, now that I've been dumped, I need a quickie rebound relationship with another show that kinda looks like Daybreak. Nothing I would watch permanently, you understand. Just something I'll watch once or twice and then never watch again so I can get it out of my system. Any suggestions?