Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

carrobin
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
After my experience, I read everything I could get my hands on about after-death experiences and such, including as much pop physics as I could get my mind around, because I didn't know how it could happen. (Or how to explain it to a skeptic--there are still some close friends and relatives I've never mentioned it to.) I've come to the conclusion that the soul/spirit/whatever you want to call it sticks around for a while, particularly if it's a young person who feels cheated of a longer life; the elderly, I think, are usually more ready for the transition. And there may indeed be stages to go through.

I had a tape once of Richard Gere reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead, and it was rather interesting in that the soul would encounter terrifying creatures, but must remember that they are not real, only expressions of one's fear, and remain calm to pass them by.
grace
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Medium, but I think maybe we should start watching it just for heckling material. I missed a golden opportunity to make snarky jokes about the spirit getting bumped off the flight, taking his shoes off for security, upgrading to first class for $100, etc. At least with Lost, I watch what is apparently the second most poorly conceived and written show on TV right now.

Bart, with these dark, scary visions you had as a child - were you a bad child? Think someone was sending you a message? (just kidding)

I did have a not even nearly near-death experience when I was young, too, when I got gassed by boat fumes while I was napping. No white light or demons waiting for me in the dark, but I did wake up because of a voice saying loud and clear "Wake up!" a couple times. But I always figured it was my survival instinct/brain at work. Who knows? It wasn't a person, though, as both parents were up on the bridge.
bart
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:51 am Reply with quote
I did cross the line regarding cookies in a jar. It haunts me to this day.

Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I see that our newest registered member is Elizabeth Mitchell. She plays Juliet on Lost. Maybe she could pop in and answer some questions for us. Or would I have to visit her Xanax related website first before she'd do that? Hmm.

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
What fascinates me is this phenomenon of people monitoring our newest registered members. Is this a kind of watchdog role you're taking on, Earl?

Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Last night I finally finished proofreading a huge new book called "The Making of Star Wars" (claiming to be the first book about the making of the first film), and since I have nobody to discuss it with at the moment, I just wanted to mention it here. Christopher Walken and Jodie Foster as Han Solo and Princess Leia--! Almost happened. And what almost didn't happen was the whole movie--if Alan Ladd Jr. hadn't constantly and relentlessly defended it, 20th Century-Fox would have pulled the plug a dozen times. And George Lucas never felt he really got it right. Though what he (and his lawyers) certainly got rights to were sequels and merchandise.

Now I want to see the film again--and the Cinemax free weekend of all six films was a couple of weeks ago. Pfui.
Earl
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
What fascinates me is this phenomenon of people monitoring our newest registered members. Is this a kind of watchdog role you're taking on, Earl?

The Third Eye page that I have bookmarked in my favorites is the main page, the one you get when you click on the "Third Eye Film Society Forum Index" link. At the bottom it displays the name of the newest member and when it said "ElizabethMitchell" recently it caught my eye.

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote
Well, they saved the cheerleader last night, so the world didn't end. Now what? I hope we find out more about Hiro next week--so far, he's my favorite of the bunch.
bart
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, Earl. I'm too much of a smartass sometimes.

Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
From imdb.com today....a story on Whedon's Buffy comic.

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1562057_3_0_,00.html
carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that link, Grace--great news! Though it's hard for me to find comic books. No doubt they'll be pulled together in one volume at some point, though, like "Fray."
Earl
Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Daybreak

OK, show of hands: Who decided to skip this series after hearing that it was a "serious" Groundhog Day? Well, you're missing a good one. The hell of it is that it would not be advisable to try to jump into it now. You'd be lost and you'd resent Daybreak for taking the timeslot of Lost.

One thing this show does with its time warp gimmick that neither Groundhog Day nor 12:01PM did not was have its protagonist sustain injuries from one "day" to the next. While everything and everyone else resets to 6:17A.M., his physical state remains the same. He even begins the day in the same place, in bed with his girlfriend, but still bleeding from the gunshot wound the day before. How does one explain a fresh gunshot wound to a bed partner who is certain that you hadn't been shot? Then, as he relives the same day over and over and gathers more facts about what's happening to him, the wound gradually heals. I'm beginning to wonder about sleep deprivation issues since he seems to stay up all night gathering clues. But maybe the reset allows him a few hours shuteye before waking him.

Taye Diggs is wonderful as a cop who is normally cool and confident until his life is turned inside out. It's a solid performance and it has to be because he's in nearly every scene of this one-hour drama. He picks up the story and carries it on his back day after day. The writing, too, is splendid. The neat trick of this show is that, on a day which should be entirely, boringly predictable for both the main character and the audience, neither he nor we know what's coming next.

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
NOTE TO JOE (and other Buffyites) - Graduation day is approaching. Yesterday we had Buffy finding out Faith was working for the Mayor. Don't know which episode was today as I had to leave for work early. But I assume that The Graduation day episode will be this week or next week.

Be there or be - a vampire. Wink

Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
dl, you are correct -- tomorrow is the prom episode with Andrew's older brother turning hell critters against formal wear-wearing people. Thursday and Friday of this week are Parts One and Two of Graduation Day.
carrobin
Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
What station is "Daybreak" on? Seems like I saw some brief publicity about it weeks ago but I have no idea where to find it. Though with "Heroes" to keep up with, I'm not so sure I need another continuing sci-fi drama.