Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

Earl
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
shannon wrote:
Thought the John Goodman storyline wrapped up nicely, the only thing striking false to me being the whole hair conversation with Hughley, which was a bit much.

Yeah, I could see that being more over the top than it needed to be, but I think his way of "playing around" included Simon's hair comments.

How about the judge referring to Simon as "Sammy" more than once, even after being corrected. Now that was a bit much.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Earl wrote:
How about the judge referring to Simon as "Sammy" more than once, even after being corrected. Now that was a bit much.

Yeah, always calling him by the wrong name. That seemed to be more provoking than needed... even in a TV drama.

Earl
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Moved over from A.U.

bart wrote:
Prison Break continues to maintain an edge that will slice marble. As long as T-Bag is there to lend a hand, I'll keep watching. And making the obligatory hand pun.

Word. It was a good idea for the show to pause last night and allow Scofield that moment of introspection. He is starting to realize how easy it has become for him to use violence as a means to an end as well as the fact that his actions are inflicting irreparable damage on other lives.

Was I the only one who thought for a sec that the priest in the confessional might be Agent Mahone? The voice sounded a lot like his. The show does a spledid job of making me feel the paranoia of the escapees.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
Earl wrote:

Yeah, always calling him by the wrong name. That seemed to be more provoking than needed... even in a TV drama.

Not just the fact that it was the wrong name, but also the racial overtones the name "Sammy" brings with it. That was carrying the whole "redneck" thing too far.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I just thought the judge was having a good time mocking and teasing the California media hotshots. And I was a bit surprised that he didn't make any gay references.

By the way, didn't anyone see "The Simpsons" Sunday? It was the sharpest satire I've seen yet about the desperation of military recruiting and the incompetence of military leaders, right down to the "occupation" of Springfield. And on Fox, yet!
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
The lastest Simpsons episode is on deck. I still need to watch the week before (the new Treehouse of Horror). Looking forward to both.

Joe Vitus
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought the latest Simpsons was lame, covering ground they've covered many, many times before. Carrobin, check out the episode where Homer became a member of the Navy Reserves. Much better.

Missed Treehouse of Horror.

The movie trailer looked okay (you couldn't tell from it how good the movie over all might be), but I thought it was a serious mistake to make viewers watch half of a lame episode in order to see it. Might actually hurt the box office.

-Topher
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Hate to break it to Simpson's fans but 2006 Treehouse of Horror was lame lame lame. No wit at all.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The show really, really should have gone off the air a long time ago. They generally come up with one good joke per episode, but rarely more. It's become depressing to watch the futuristic episodes, because they keep hammering home that Marj will divorce Homer.

Back in the early 90's, there was this constant comment that The Simpsons wasn't funny anymore, but in fact it was. I think people just figured since it had been around for awhile, it was out of ideas. But the shows were generally great. Nowadays the word is that, after all these years, the show is still going strong. But it's been essentially unfunny for years.

They have no idea how to develop a story anymore. Last week's episode started out pretty good, with the kids getting hoodwinked, and Seymour cheering them on while refusing to re-enlist. Then it just bellyflopped into as bad an episode as I've ever seen.

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought "Simpsons" was hilarious, particularly the mini-helicopter sequence that ended with "That's All, Folks!" on the officers' video screen.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Not only is Sat. nite true crime killer boyfriend/husband nite, but it is now internet pederasts nite.

DATELINE is devoting all their Sat. shows to sting operations designed to trap internet pederasts.
Speaking of people too dense to catch on to BORAT, just how stupid do you have to be to know that that underage boy or girl from the web that you're driving hours to see is really a plant??

The shows are monotonous, but I guess DATELINE is doing a public service.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The Simpsons in the early 90's was only about 4 years old. Odd that people were saying it wasn't funny. I will say that the strongest seasons were the first 12. The last 6 seasons, I've not watched as religiously as the first 12, but the episodes I've watched have been very good. Treehouse of Horror episodes are normally well done.

Earl
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
Not only is Sat. nite true crime killer boyfriend/husband nite, but it is now internet pederasts nite.

DATELINE is devoting all their Sat. shows to sting operations designed to trap internet pederasts.
Speaking of people too dense to catch on to BORAT, just how stupid do you have to be to know that that underage boy or girl from the web that you're driving hours to see is really a plant??

The shows are monotonous, but I guess DATELINE is doing a public service.

I caught some of that last Saturday. My impression was that it was the law enforcement agency doing the public service (i.e., setting up the sting) and that Dateline was simply along for the ride getting to film it. Since I didn't see all of the show, I'll cop to not being certain about that. Perhaps it was the other way around.

I'll also admit to deriving some pleasure from watching the Dateline host grill these guys ("What did you think was going to happen here?" "Did you bring condoms? Why would you bring condoms to visit a thirteen year-old girl alone in the house?") and watching them squirm. Then at the end the host says, "Well, you're free to go" and for a few seconds they actually believe they've gotten away with it. But the cops are waiting right outside to arrest the guy.

Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Back to the judge and S60 for a moment. I was surprised that Simon didn't haul off and punch the SOB. But I guess the need to get out of there over rode any humilation he may have felt.

But God, was that judge demeaning!!
carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Those Internet-predator shows must be the cheapest kind of programming to produce--and no doubt the ratings are good, or there wouldn't be so many of them.