Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  Alternate Universes

grace
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It's the one where Jack was young, and doing back surgery on a young girl. He was all set to close when the scalpel slipped and he cut a/the nerve sac (or something like that) and neurons were spilling out like angel hair. Jack panicked for a second, then made a deal with himself: he could panic to the count of five, but then he had to go to work and make it better. And he did, and the patient was fine. So in bad (or maybe horrific is a better word) situations, Jack gives himself five seconds to freak, but then goes to work.

Disclaimers: I looked this up earlier, because it was bugging me. It's not like I remembered it from two years ago. And as you may be able to tell from my rendition, I don't even remember it that well from last night.

Any parallel (or intersection, what the hell?) with Jack's accidental slip early in his career, and his so not accidental slip while working on Ben? Some meaning, or just good storytelling? I tend to come down on the side of the latter.
grace
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh - ** Possible LOST Spoiler**

In looking up the Jack thing, I also saw some scuttlebutt -- some people are surmising that an infiltrator from The Others is still among the original LOST people. (as opposed to the Tailies)
I don't know that I buy into it, but it's a theory (with some support) out there.
bart
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for jogging my memory, Grace. I seem to remember him telling Kate that story when she is facing a panic situation, or maybe he reminds her of it later in the first season. So I guess it's become his way to tell her she's really going to have to pull it together and do what needs to be done. I'm sure Kate will bargain to bring Sawyer along -- one, because she's got a thing for him and two, because she'll need someone strong and handy to help build that raft they're going to need to get off Alcatraz. Or steal a boat or a submarine.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if Sawyer can hotwire the sub, Kate can blow up the dock or something once they get clear. You know, each one playing to his/her strength.
ehle64
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, after being a rabid fan for 2 seasons, I couldn't care less what the roller-coaster sounding black smoke is that whacked Ecko across the jungle trees. I don't give a rat's ass which extraordinarily good-looking, strategically dirtied up boy Kate goes for. Where's Rose? What's with the hiatus? I've lost interst in Lost.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I sort of agree, as far as the Big Mystery stuff goes. Really, a lot of those questions are answered in basic terms -- Alvar Hanso bankrolled it, amoral scientists went over the top, weirdness ensued. And the non-prettyboy characters (LOL "strategically dirtied" -- yep, and I love Sawyer's overnight healings up from his various beatings...) need to be given more story share -- otherwise we're heading into a steamy soap opera triangle and are truly "lost."

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Somehow "hotwire the sub" makes me think of a Swiss and Turkey hoagie and attempts to repair a toaster oven. It must be lunch time.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Last year is when I lost interest in Lost. Too many "encore performances" - reruns.

But I have been watching Buffy episodes. I believe this is her senior year - she runs away from home after Kendra died. Today's episode is about her return, the principal turning her down when she tries to return to schoo. Her mother says "I'll get her back into school of I have to go to the mayor himself." To which the principal replies "that should prove interesting."

Harbingers of things to come!!!! The senior year was my all time favorite. Faith, the Mayor and a great ending episode

Oh and JOE - I FIGURE THAT THE FINAL EPISODE FOR THAT YEAR SHOULD BE SHOWN SOMETIME AROUND EARLY DECEMBER. I REMEMBER YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO SEE IT SOMEDAY.

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Ehle and dl, you are one of a growing number. (First I typed "growling" and that might fit the bill, too.)

I started enjoying Lost more when I stopped looking for meaning -- or perhaps more accurately, the correct meaning -- in every little thing that happens on the show. For me, part of the fun is discussing the "what if" factor with other viewers of the show; but if I didn't like the writing and at least some of the characters in the first place there'd be no point in watching. And even less in discussing.

One of the greatest strengths of the Lost producers, IMHO, is that they listen to the fans and respond via the show. That is the reason for the hiatus -- there were many vocal objections to the reruns (as cited by dlhavard, in fact). The producers listened to the fans, and worked out a way to keep the shows fresh, for lack of a better word. And I mean that in a shelf-life context.

One of the greatest weaknesses of the Lost producers, IMHO, is that they listen to the fans and respond via the show. The Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle, and I guess the Kate-Sawyer coupling too, is extremely popular with some of the fans; so we are going to get more of it. Oh, well. The day will likely come when I'm watching a Kate-Sawyer-centric episode and will think to myself "I might as well be watching Grays' Anatomy/ER/fill in the blank with a soapy show." And that will likely be the day I stop watching Lost.

Unless they kill Kate or Sawyer, in which case the show may veer away from soapiness for a while. They did have sex, after all.
grace
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
On a Buffy-related note, too -- TNT is double-running Angel, so the series has whipped by, and the final season is running.

This Monday, November 13, at 7am - Smile Time
Next Friday, November 17 at 7am - Not Fade Away, the final episode
dlhavard
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
If her ex shows up (Nathan) Grace, let me know. THEN I WILL START WATCHING AGAIN!

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
dl, don't get me wrong -- I didn't mean to imply that Lost is required viewing just because I haven't gone sour on it (yet). I'm a firm believer in the "don't like it? don't watch it" principle.

But if Nathan Fillion shows up in any previews, I'll let you know ASAP, of course.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
Last year is when I lost interest in Lost. Too many "encore performances" - reruns.

But I have been watching Buffy episodes. I believe this is her senior year - she runs away from home after Kendra died. Today's episode is about her return, the principal turning her down when she tries to return to schoo. Her mother says "I'll get her back into school of I have to go to the mayor himself." To which the principal replies "that should prove interesting."

Harbingers of things to come!!!! The senior year was my all time favorite. Faith, the Mayor and a great ending episode

Oh and JOE - I FIGURE THAT THE FINAL EPISODE FOR THAT YEAR SHOULD BE SHOWN SOMETIME AROUND EARLY DECEMBER. I REMEMBER YOU SAID YOU WANTED TO SEE IT SOMEDAY.

Thank you! Keep up the good work. Smile

-Topher
carrobin
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Loved last night's Doctor Who. The plot was very similar to Angel's "Smile Time," but the TV show was the Queen's coronation in 1953--which I remember watching on our brand-new TV in South Carolina when I was nine years old, so the evil mind-stealer could have got me too!
jeremy
Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I thpught it one of the weaker episodes of Dr Who. It had a great set up, but didn't develop it.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.