Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

carrobin
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Actually, it's hard for me to watch "Studio 60" and remember that it's happening in LA, not NY.
shannon
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
I wasn't bothered by Studio 60's incursion into Middle America last night. I'm not sure that we really need a redneck John Goodman present to exemplify Red State ignorance, but that didn't stop it from amusing me.

I don't think they were giving Middle America anything to identify with. Seemed more like a flip-off to me. "Look how stupid you are. You're offended by a skit that uses the Lord's name in vain?"

As for the joint subplot, again, I guess the premise is fairly shopworn, but thought it was handled relatively fresh and it was very funny, what with Hughley trying his best to assert that the joint was his every chance he gets. I wouldn't call the kid "star-struck." He's one of the stars of the show. I'd think he'd be past the point of star-struck by now considering he is one.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
I wouldn't call the kid "star-struck." He's one of the stars of the show. I'd think he'd be past the point of star-struck by now considering he is one.

The kid is most definitely star-struck. He's the one who told his (clueless) parents with awe all about the history of the studio and handed his father the old LP of "Who's On First." If that isn't star-struck (and by that I mean being touchingly nostalgic about television's golden age), I don't know what it.
mo_flixx
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:08 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
Actually, it's hard for me to watch "Studio 60" and remember that it's happening in LA, not NY.

I agree. Having lived in L.A. for almost 20 years and being in show biz for most of that time, I have to say that there is simply no venue like STUDIO 60 anywhere near the Sunset Strip.

CBS's Television City comes close in terms of locale and being an icon of past glories (Carol Burnett, Sonny & Cher, etc.), but stories like the quick trip over to the Improv simply wouldn't work in today's L.A. if you're picky about it.
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I don't understand why anyone thinks Nevada is "Middle America", unless they've moved it to Kansas, or Ohio.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
I don't understand why anyone thinks Nevada is "Middle America", unless they've moved it to Kansas, or Ohio.

Did you watch the show?

John Goodman played a good ole boy judge. Geographically NV is NOT Middle America. At least not per any atlas I've ever looked at...but perhaps in its mentality (aside from scandalous "Sin City").

In order for last night's story to have been plausible, "Studio 60" needed a locale with a redneck mentality CLOSE to L.A. with a state (not federal) holiday.

But the upcoming "Christmas with Michigan Baptists" episode should fit the bill quite nicely if you are looking for geographic accurracy.

Wink
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'll be watching the latest S60 tonight. As a two parter, I'll have to weigh in on how it works.

carrobin
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote
The combined Daily Show/Colbert Report last night was fun, but it didn't seem to utilize the situation as well as it could have. Maybe by 2008 they'll have it better organized.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:
The combined Daily Show/Colbert Report last night was fun, but it didn't seem to utilize the situation as well as it could have. Maybe by 2008 they'll have it better organized.

I didn't see it last night, but I think that a presidential election would hold more opportunities for expanding coverage, even though this midterm was pretty polarized.

dlhavard
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But the upcoming "Christmas with Michigan Baptists" episode should fit the bill quite nicely if you are looking for geographic accurracy.

That would be better. Very Happy

I did watch some of it. For some reason, it always irritates me and I end up turning it off. Guess it's not my cuppa.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I did watch some of it. For some reason, it always irritates me and I end up turning it off. Guess it's not my cuppa.

Me too.
Earl
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
carrobin wrote:

I agree. When they start waxing nostalgic about the glory days of live TV I'm thinking, "Weren't those days in New York City?".

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:30 pm Reply with quote
You mean Superman wasn't live?
mitty
Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Aug 2004 Posts: 1359 Location: Way Down Yonder.......
marantzo wrote:
You mean Superman wasn't live?

Sure it was, that last speeding bullet was just a stunt accident.
dlhavard
Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
Well it was nice seeing Nathan Fillion again on Lost. I generally don't watch Lost (kinda lost my way last year when they kept doing repeats(G)). But cruising past it I spotted him and paused. So Kate was married to him. Interesting. Be fun if he turns up on the island. I might even start watching again.