Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

chillywilly
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote
daffy wrote:
I had the good fortune to meet chilly and his lovely fiancée for a quick beer at the West Bank Saturday night before they saw Into the Weeds. Outstanding people. Unfortunately, I'd had a very long tough day and was getting up early on Sunday, so I couldn't join them for the show (I really will see it again, billy). Still, we had a fun chat and a few laughs and now we know the faces that go with our online handles. And now I know what a "network adman" does.

Looking forward to your take on the show and New York itself, chills. Have a safe trip home (non-stop?).

Yes, it was great to meet daffy on Sat night before billy's show. He's a tall guy (i look tiny next to him) and really cool to chat with. Just wish we had more time, but happy to have met up with him. And meeting billy was also fun. He's such a personable guy and full of talent.

And yes, after hanging around computer people too often, when I blurt out "network adman" (network administrator), I assume everyone knows what that is. Of course, in a bar with multiple noises, it comes out differently.

And my fiancée had a lot of fun this trip (her first to NYC) and very much enjoyed Into The Weeds. She only wishes her foot didn't give out (as I mentioned in BTC). I was disappointed in not being able to meet ehle and lady_w on Sunday night. Another trip for sure.

As for the flight back today, no non-stop, but only one stop in DC (3 hour layover) before heading back to SLC.

Befade
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Here's some important information:

You might think because rumors, polls, and CNN say we are winning, don't take it for granted.  Here are two different messages about how important it is to motive our base of Democrats, Independents, as well as Republicans.  Please help spread the word.
DOVV
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends

Karl Rove has been bragging for weeks about his "72-hour program" to swing the elections, which predict a Democratic takeover of Congress.

Now we know what it is: a dirty trick campaign using robocalls.

The calls are made to Democrats and swing voters at all times of day or night to make them angry. And they pretend to be from the Democrat ("Hello, I'm calling with information about Lois Murphy"). If you hang up, they call back 7-8 times, and each time you hear the Democrat's name, to get you angry at him or her. If you stay on, you get to hear a scathing attack on the Democrat.

Karl Rove's whole career has been devoted to dirty tricks. In 2002, his dirty trick was to force Congress to vote shortly before Election Day for the Iraq War based on two months of White House lies about WMD's and Al Qaeda ties. That dirty trick has cost the lives of 2,834 brave young Americans (16 so far in November), $2 trillion in debt to our children and grandchildren, and unleashed massive bloodshed in Iraq.

It's too late for legal action or even newspaper stories. If you receive one of these calls, write down the time and candidate and call every radio and TV show you can and urge everyone listening to vote against the disgusting Republican dirty tricksters. And forward this email to everyone you know so they aren't fooled by Karl Rove's dirty trick.

Let's make this Karl Rove's LAST campaign by voting ALL Republicans out of office.

Friends,

Tomorrow night, those who sent 2,800 of our soldiers to their deaths -- all because of a lie the president concocted -- will find out if America chooses to reward them -- or remove them.

As good as things look for the Democrats, do not pop the corks and start the partying yet. Do not believe for a second that the Republicans plan on losing. They will fight like dogs for the next 24 hours -- relentless, unforgiving, nonstop action to squeeze every last conservative voter out of the house on election day. While the rest of us go about our day today, tens of thousands of Republican volunteers are knocking on doors, making phone calls, and lining up rides to the polls. They're not sleeping, they're not eating, they're not even watching Fox News. A day without Fox News? That's right, that's how insanely dedicated they are.

But the reason they have to work so hard is that, before they can get the vote out, they first have to completely turn around the massive public opinion against them. Almost 60% disapprove of Bush. Over 60% are opposed to the war. Those are landslide numbers. And the American people are not going to turn pro-war or into Bush-lovers by tomorrow morning. So it should be easy for us, right?

Yup. Just like it was when we won the popular vote in 2000 and when we were ahead in the exit polls all day long in 2004. You know the deal -- the other side takes no prisoners. And just when it seems like things are going our way, the Republicans suddenly, mysteriously win the election.

Well, it's not really that mysterious. They're out there busting their asses this very minute, right down the street from you. What are YOU doing? You're on a computer reading my cranky letter! Stop reading this! We have only a few hours left to wrestle control of the Congress away from these "representatives" who, if returned, will continue shipping our young men and women over there to die.

Here's what I'm imploring you to do right now:

1. Go through your address book on your cell phone and computer and call/e-mail everyone you know. Tell them how much it would mean to you if they vote on Tuesday. If they don't know where to vote, help them find their polling place.

2. Contact MoveOn.org ASAP. They will connect you to the folks who need you to make calls.

3. Contact your local Democratic Party headquarters. (928) 639-3688 There are races in nearly every state. They'll put you to work -- on the ground or on the phones. Or go to the local HQ for the Dem candidate running for the House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate and say, "Put me to work!"

OK, turn off the computer -- and I will, too. There's serious work to do. The good news? There's more of us than there are of them. Let's prove that, once and for all.

Is there anything more important that you have to do today? Nothing less than the rest of the world is depending on us.

Yours,
Michael Moore
www.michaelmoore.com
mmflint@aol.com
marantzo
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Trish wrote:
No that doesn't do a damn thing to deter murder

I'm not thinking of deterence, I'm thinking of just deserts.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a heavy amount of anti-Catholicism at the time. I don't think it would be a huge factor nowadays.

I don't think so either.
Befade
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Gary.............If my memory serves me well (usually it doesn't) today might be your birthday. If we're all glazed over from the election hubub..........we can still remember the REAL significance of this date.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Glad you're still around!
bart
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote
Karl Rove is not a class act. And I'm happy to say I've met people from both sides of the aisle who are aware of that. If you walk around with a hatchet in your hand accumulating large bloodstains on your suit, eventually people do notice.

I'm just glad it's all over with today (until tomorrow morning, when the 2008 race begins....) and I might not have to hear the word "values" for a brief spell. The word is so pernicious in the way that it implies a kind of totalitarian lockstep march of mental processes, so very much the antithesis of what makes this such a great country and a vibrant democracy.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Gary.............If my memory serves me well (usually it doesn't) today might be your birthday. If we're all glazed over from the election hubub..........we can still remember the REAL significance of this date.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Glad you're still around!

Happy b-day Gary Wink
dlhavard
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
Here's a bit of weirdness

Quote:
NEW YORK -- A construction worker was arrested Monday and charged with murdering an actress who was found hanging from a shower rod in an apartment she was having renovated.

Police charged Diego Pillco with second-degree murder in the slaying of Adrienne Shelly, Detective Kevin Czartoryski said. Pillco, 19, was picked up early Monday and was questioned for several hours until "he made statements," said Czartoryski, who would not say what the statements were.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:

I'm just glad it's all over with today (until tomorrow morning, when the 2008 race begins....)

what time today do you think they'll stop airing those damn ads
marantzo
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Betsy and Trish, but it's not my birthday today. Close, but no cake.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Genius:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-the-press/2006/11/06/youtube-agent-of-democra_e_33418.html

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12890 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
This political commercial says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdAjGXFJw3s

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I voted. What difference will it make in Texas? In many races, there was no party challenging the Republicans. In fact, I didn't vote straight Democrat because that wouldn't have allowed me to vote against the Republicans in many instances. And I want to send the fuckers a message.

-Topher
whiskeypriest
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Joe Vitus wrote:
I voted. What difference will it make in Texas? In many races, there was no party challenging the Republicans. In fact, I didn't vote straight Democrat because that wouldn't have allowed me to vote against the Republicans in many instances. And I want to send the fuckers a message.
This year I didn't vote for a single Republican, even on the "non-partisan" judge ballot. Not a damned one of them. And while I am pretty liberal, I've always found a few Repos that deserve my support. This year? Screw them all.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal

Wow.