Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  The Third Eye Reading Room  ~  What's On Your Bookshelf?

Syd
Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12889 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
dlhavard wrote:
Favorite Title: Bride of the Rat God by Barbara Hambly.

It is also a good read. Sort of half romance/half horror. Takes place in the 20s in Hollywood. Hambly manages to convey horror quite well.

I like the double whammy, Bimbos of the Death Sun and Zombies of the Gene Pool by Sharyn McCrumb.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Favorite title: The Last Days of Christ the Vampire by JG Eccarius, a pseudonym for a really bad author. Great concept, crappy book. There's not a boner-popper anywhere in it.
bart
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
How nice, I inspired Lshap to create the neologism, "unboneresque."

I haven't read The Corrections, so I'm interested in what you think of it, Lorne. If you make it through.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Quote:
style trampling over substance
Bingo.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Picked up "Pale Fire" but couldn't get into it. Seems to be a longish poem, plus some fictitious scholar writing all this complex analysis of the poem. So it scared me off on two levels: I'm not much for long poetry, and I'm not much for books that read like something I was forced to slog through in college English classes only longer. I'm sure I'm missing something, but sometimes you just have to figure "chacun a son gout." VERY unboneresque.

Just finished: RC Wilson's "The Harvest" is another of his "the world changes suddenly" novels, and a sort of thematic predecessor to "Darwinia" in terms of humans who attain virtual immortality. Every bit as well-written, and as gripping, as Darwinia.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
Picked up "Pale Fire" but couldn't get into it. Seems to be a longish poem, plus some fictitious scholar writing all this complex analysis of the poem. So it scared me off on two levels: I'm not much for long poetry, and I'm not much for books that read like something I was forced to slog through in college English classes only longer. I'm sure I'm missing something, but sometimes you just have to figure "chacun a son gout." VERY unboneresque.

Just finished: RC Wilson's "The Harvest" is another of his "the world changes suddenly" novels, and a sort of thematic predecessor to "Darwinia" in terms of humans who attain virtual immortality. Every bit as well-written, and as gripping, as Darwinia.
You are. The book is funny from the first line on. And the analysis of the poem is not exactly complex, unless you mean it in the sense of, say, "persecution complex" or something like that. The disconnect between the poem and the commentary is the fun of it.

I mean, look at the end of the introduction. Kinbote essentially recommends that you read the commentary three times (and the poem, if you have the time) and - buy two copies of the book! What kind of academic is that?

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll have another look, then. But I'll warn you I've enjoyed adequate exposure to mockery and satire pointed at academics, so this is going to have to destroy bladder control to be worth my time.

No, seriously, I'll have another look.

Thanks for your patience.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
I'll have another look, then. But I'll warn you I've enjoyed adequate exposure to mockery and satire pointed at academics, so this is going to have to destroy bladder control to be worth my time.

No, seriously, I'll have another look.

Thanks for your patience.
Here is what I suggest. First, go to the New York Times forum page and pull up the archived discussion of Pale Fire from last October. Then, copy every post that I wrote there. Read the posts once through, and then read them again to assure comprehension. The read the novel, checking with my comments as you go along. After that, reread my comments....

Seriously, I do not usually recommend this, but try this method if you have a problem:

First, get a pad of sticky notes. Then, as you read the introduction, when you get to a reference to a note to a line in the poem, insert a sticky note there and read ahead to the note it references. When you get to another reference to another note to a line from the poem, insert another sticky note and go to that reference. Repeat as necessary. (Do not try to mark your place with fingers! You do not have enough!). When you have reached the last reference, start going backwards until you return to the start. This will give you a sort of guided tour to what you are getting into, and might help you slog through the poem by giving you the context of what's to follow.

By the way, the academic satire aspect of the piece is just a flavoring of the immense whole that is the best novel of the 20th century.

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
One late night when I was stoned and living in Paris I got very hungry and it was another of those mental battles of "gee I'm tired, I'd like to stay in bed, but I'm also starved". As usual my stomach won out and I ended up at an all-night restaurant. I took something to read, I forget what, but it had a lengthly review of Pale Fire by Mary Macarthy. She just raved about it. Being a fan of Nabokov, I decided that I'd have to read it. It's only been 43 years but I haven't forgotten that decision and if I don't die first I will read it some day.
bart
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
It does worry me that everytime someone tells me a book is the greatest novel of the 20th century, I find myself unable to read it.

Except for The Great Gatsby, which IS the GNOT20C. Or the greatest that doesn't require lots of sticky notepads and coaching and training. Though there are a few slow learners out there who need to have the blue and gigantic eyes of Dr. TJ Eckleburg explained to them.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2004 Posts: 1352 Location: Detroit (where the slow are run over)
I don't mind being told that a book is the Greatest of the 20TH Century. But when someone tells me DaVinci Code is the greatest of the 21ST - I draw the line.

I still haven't gotten more than 1/4th the way through.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
dlhavard wrote:
I don't mind being told that a book is the Greatest of the 20TH Century. But when someone tells me DaVinci Code is the greatest of the 21ST - I draw the line.

I still haven't gotten more than 1/4th the way through.
You know, toss the book, rent the movie. My guess is it will save you time and you won't actually miss much.

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I had no problem zipping through The DaVinci Code. (Yeah, I'll admit to having read it - why do you ask?) While I don't think it's by any means even a good book, I did find it to be a super-quick read.

My understanding is, if you think the book's a disappointment -- well, the movie's even moreso.
lshap
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Whatabunchofsnobs.

I ate up The DaVinci Code in three days (work days, by the way), and enjoyed it. Brown, if nothing else, knows how to string together a tall tale. Give the man his due - he's very good at the "What happens next" school of chapter-writing.

A great novelist? Please. His characters and style are effective, but puddle-deep.
lshap
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Bart - 100 pages into The Corrections. The story picks up steam considerably after about 10 pages with the introduction of the son. He's every disappointment in life all rolled into a single, dyfunctional person. I feel for the guy immensely and want to see where he's going...

Whiskey - Your "Bingo" comment suggests you didn't consider the book to be the "Greatest American Novel!!" so many thought it was. Did you actually dislike it, or did it not match up to the hype?

Yeah, I know, why don't I read the damn thing and decide for myself? Fuck you - everyone's sleeping and I'm alone with a bag of Sun Chips. I'll post if I feel like it!