Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

ehle64
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Sounds like the kind of movie he'd make himself. Who directed it, or are you pulling our collective legs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368794/

Looks like it's my man, Todd Haynes. Looks like a mighty impressive cast, too. Wish I dug Dylan.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 22 May 2004 Posts: 52 Location: Los Angeles, California
gromit wrote:
Anybody listen to Eisley?
I've just recently caught a few songs and like what I've heard.
Should get around to downloading their first album.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or info regarding Eisley?

I can't get into them. A friend of mine loves them and keeps sending me tracks.

I keep telling them that they were manufactured/cloned in some bunker under mount Fuji. After the failure that was the Corrs.

-G.

Marc
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
While not mentioning either 9/11 or Katrina, the Dylan album is haunted by both of those tragedies. Dylan's lyrics on MODERN TIMES combine visions of the apocalypse with allusions to the healing power of love. Its an album filled with wisdom, sadness and yearning....and humor. The music itself is somewhat cliche-ridden, combining tired blues riffs with jazzy flourishes. But, I think Dylan is deliberatley trying to make a very traditional sounding album. It is the lyrics that provide the edge. Dylan produced the album and it doesn't have any of the trippy ambience of his Lanois produced albums. The production is clean and strait forward.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure you read the latest Rolling Stone, Marc. What did you think of the review and the interview. It's been years since i picked up a Rolling Stone. This issue is terrific. Has it maintained this kind of quality all along?
Marc
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
ROLLING STONE has returned to very fine form in the past two years. It needed a war to re-invigorate its political writing. I have not read the Dylan interview. I will.
juepucta
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Marc wrote:
While not mentioning either 9/11 or Katrina, the Dylan album is haunted by both of those tragedies. Dylan's lyrics on MODERN TIMES combine visions of the apocalypse with allusions to the healing power of love. Its an album filled with wisdom, sadness and yearning....and humor. The music itself is somewhat cliche-ridden, combining tired blues riffs with jazzy flourishes. But, I think Dylan is deliberatley trying to make a very traditional sounding album. It is the lyrics that provide the edge. Dylan produced the album and it doesn't have any of the trippy ambience of his Lanois produced albums. The production is clean and strait forward.

I think you are right. Althought the previous album, Love and Theft, had also stuff that was very timely. Specially since he released teh alst album on 911.

-G.

Marc
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MODERN TIMES is the first Dylan album to hit number 1 on the Billboard charts in 30 years. His last number 1 was DESIRE.
marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Way to go Bobby!

I was just going to write that this album is getting a lot of promotion. Imus, for instance has been plugging it all week and believe it or not he has a lot of influence. Apple has an ad with Dylan playing, for Modern Times. A rave review in RS with an interview and a real good picture of the man on the cover.

Who do they think this guy is, Paris Hilton?
juepucta
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Way to go Bobby!

I was just going to write that this album is getting a lot of promotion. Imus, for instance has been plugging it all week and believe it or not he has a lot of influence. Apple has an ad with Dylan playing, for Modern Times. A rave review in RS with an interview and a real good picture of the man on the cover.

Who do they think this guy is, Paris Hilton?

You just wait until that Dylan and Paris sex tape surfaces.

-G.

marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

You just wait until that Dylan and Paris sex tape surfaces.

Now there's a thought that could seriously disturb my sleep.

I have a great story involving Dylan and a good friend of my parents, but I'm too tired to type it all out now.
movielover14
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
gromit wrote:
Anybody listen to Eisley?
I've just recently caught a few songs and like what I've heard.
Should get around to downloading their first album.

Anyone have any thoughts, comments, or info regarding Eisley?

I like Eisley. There a good band.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Another great band is Boy Kill Boy. It's this new band from England. I have only heard one song by them but I really like it. The song is called Suzie. It has a great beat to it. You should check this band out.

Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
movielover14 wrote:
Another great band is Boy Kill Boy. It's this new band from England. I have only heard one song by them but I really like it. The song is called Suzie. It has a great beat to it. You should check this band out.

I always get them confused with Rock Kills Kid. Completely different band, you might dig it if you are into the Killers / Bravery deal.

-G.

movielover14
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
juepucta wrote:
movielover14 wrote:

I always get them confused with Rock Kills Kid. Completely different band, you might dig it if you are into the Killers / Bravery deal.

-G.

I like Rock Kills Kid too! I like the song Hide Away.

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quote
Been bumping that Justin Timberlake. I remember making fun of shannon when that 1st album dropped, but 'Justified' made me a fan. That pop money got Tim Mosely doing some cool things. Timberlake's singing/lyrics are inconsequential, the production recalls the better moments of 80's Prince, vintage Jodeci and just some good alternative sounding pop at the moment.