Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Earl!

Shannon:

"Sure, a Rob Schneider movie will objectively be a worse film..."

How dare you.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
lshap
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
shannon wrote:
Maybe the effectiveness of the production is what makes it the worst film of the year. Mediocrity is worse than simply being bad. Sure, a Rob Schneider movie will objectively be a worse film, but a film that promises greatness but falls short is ultimately much more disappointing and worthy of scorn.

By that logic, if I'm amused by a Rob Schneider film, it can reasonably be called the Best Film Of the Year!

It doesn't work that way. Even if slightly amusing, a Rob Schneider film will ultimately smell like ass. And even if too static and small a story to properly reflect 9/11, "World Trade Center" is ultimately miles ahead in its mediocrity.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Lorne, why do I have to log in every time I visit the site now? I never used to have to.
lshap
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
marantzo wrote:
Lorne, why do I have to log in every time I visit the site now? I never used to have to.

Clean out your cookies. Go to your internet browser's preferences, find the dialogue box of accumulated 'cookies' - often found within the Security folder - and eliminate our site's cookie (www.thirdeyefilm.com). It's your computer's 'cookies' that enable you to bypass log-ins and passwords and directly re-enter various websites.

Once you've done that, effectively wiping the slate clean, log in once again and this time you should be able to remain logged in.

If that doesn't work give me a call and I'll dictate your posts.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
If that doesn't work give me a call and I'll dictate your posts.

Is this a new service for site members? I've got unlimited nights and weekends on my phone.

shannon
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
shannon wrote:
Maybe the effectiveness of the production is what makes it the worst film of the year. Mediocrity is worse than simply being bad. Sure, a Rob Schneider movie will objectively be a worse film, but a film that promises greatness but falls short is ultimately much more disappointing and worthy of scorn.

By that logic, if I'm amused by a Rob Schneider film, it can reasonably be called the Best Film Of the Year!

Actually, no, that's not logical at all.

Quote:
It doesn't work that way. Even if slightly amusing, a Rob Schneider film will ultimately smell like ass. And even if too static and small a story to properly reflect 9/11, "World Trade Center" is ultimately miles ahead in its mediocrity.

A Rob Schneider film has no pretense of actually being good. So who cares if it's bad? World Trade Center has "Look at me, I'm important!" written all over it. (It even stars Nicholas Cage.) Even if it isn't exactly bad, it still fails to live up to the goals it set itself. So which is worse? At least a Rob Schneider film delivers what it promises.
ehle64
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
shannon wrote:
World Trade Center has "Look at me, I'm important!" written all over it. (It even stars Nicholas Cage.)

--*LOL!*

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Quote:
At least a Rob Schneider film delivers what it promises.

So did Hitler.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
Re: Schneider versus "WTC", it seems to me that you could say something like, "As Rob Schneider movies go, this one has a little more to offer than other Rob Schneider movies or other bathroom humor movies..." if you found that to be the case. Similarly, you could say "As disaster/triumph-of-the-human-spirit movies go, 'WTC' was not very good, because..." if you had some reason to feel that way. That doesn't make the "good" Rob Schneider movie a "better movie" than the "bad" triumph-of-the-human spirit movie, but it does allow you to give it a favorable/positive review, i.e., if one reviews movie A positively, and one reviews movie B negatively, that doesn't necessarily mean that one found movie A to be "a better movie" than movie B.
lshap
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote
smoot wrote:
Re: Schneider versus "WTC", it seems to me that you could say something like, "As Rob Schneider movies go, this one has a little more to offer than other Rob Schneider movies or other bathroom humor movies..." if you found that to be the case. Similarly, you could say "As disaster/triumph-of-the-human-spirit movies go, 'WTC' was not very good, because..." if you had some reason to feel that way. That doesn't make the "good" Rob Schneider movie a "better movie" than the "bad" triumph-of-the-human spirit movie, but it does allow you to give it a favorable/positive review, i.e., if one reviews movie A positively, and one reviews movie B negatively, that doesn't necessarily mean that one found movie A to be "a better movie" than movie B.

If your point is that good-smelling shit is still worse than bad-tasting steak, then I agree with you.
smoot
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
If your point is that good-smelling shit is still worse than bad-tasting steak, then I agree with you.

I guess that statement is true, but it wasn't my point. For all I know, "WTC" may very well be shit that smells bad, but people tend to put all disaster/triumph-of-the-human-spirit movies (or historical dramas, bio-pics... so-called "important" movies) in the steak category, because in their minds, any movie in that genre is automatically steak.

I'm just saying that if you make a case for a Rob Schneider movie being "a better movie" than "WTC", I might agree with you and I might not. At the same time, you could also make a case for the Rob Schneider movie being good, as Rob Schneider movies go, and "WTC" being not-so-good, as "steak" movies go, and on both counts, I might agree with you and I might not.

I'll listen to whichever argument you choose to make, but I don't subscribe to the automatic steak/shit mindset, i.e., a Rob Schneider movie can only rise to the level of good-smelling shit, and the lowest level to which a so-called "important" can sink is to the level of bad-tasting steak.
gromit
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:23 am Reply with quote
I'm having a hard time comprehending these arguments.
I'm a vegetarian, and as far as food goes, a steak is essentially equivalent to shit. Both in the non-food and disgusting category. How you fuckers eat dead animal flesh is beyond me.

Last edited by gromit on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quote
You are such a gentle and caring soul, gromit.
gromit
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
Ask the animals, marantz, just ask the animals.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote
"Moo."