Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 pm Reply with quote
All I know is I don't fuck with anything in the sea.

Crikey!

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
bart
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Gromit -- to bring your topic over to the Lobby -- Carnivory: meat, if you grow up with it, is what shrinks call a comfort food. Most of the stuff about, "I stopped eating meat and I got weaker and/or ached in my joints and/or psoriasis [etc.]" is really a head thing, because the person is missing a comfort food they grew up with. Of course, bean/grain protein is highly absorbable and does fine for nutrition, so it's psychosomatic. But that doesn't mean it doesn't feel "real" to people.

I think there's a kind of hump people go over when they quit meat. When stressed, I go back to a bit of the old flesh myself once in a while.

And I'll never be a vegan because life without real pizza is not worth living.

So I do bother the cows some.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
There's an undeniable logic to vegetarianism, but Vegans seem to operate more out of guilt than health.

I'd think hydrogenated fats and dairy fat are far worse for the system than lean meat. But number one on the charts of most harmful is the habit of eating until stuffed. It puts a horrendous strain on our already overworked digestive systems.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
bart wrote:
And I'll never be a vegan because life without real pizza is not worth living.

I'm with you on that one.

We had to go over to my daughter-in-law's house last night (our main water pipe broke in front of our house and we are without water until next Monday) and her b/f is vegitarian (about 90-95%) and he buys this stuff called Vegan-aise, which is a vegan/vegetarian replacement for mayonaise. I had to make sure I took real mayo over from our house, just to make sure I had a sandwich I wanted to eat.

There are also frozen meals they have which are vegan hot dogs that taste just like a hot dog, but have no meat in them. Same thing with frozen hamburger patties you nuke and they taste exactly like a beef hamburger. But of course, not a gram of meat in these either.

My question has always been this: what the hell are they putting in this stuff to make it taste like the real thing?

This is why cows get bothered by me as well. If I want to taste the real thing, it might as well be the real thing.

No offense to anyone that's vegan or vegetarian, but I really can't see the benefit - health wise - to eating no meat.

gromit
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The main health benefit is to the cow (or pig, chicken, fish, snake, dog, etc.). Seems most here think of vegetarianism as a health issue. I started when 17-18 as more of an ethical issue. But really just an awareness and consciousness of what I was putting into my body. I'd rank environmental concerns as a distant second. And then maybe health benefits.

Seems to me that you can have a healthy diet that includes meat, and an unhealthy vegetarian diet (full of snacks, limited variety, fried twinkies, etc.). Though I would assume that most vegetarians are fairly aware of what they eat, and eat pretty well.

In China, vegetarian ham, duck and chicken are fairly common. One of the stranger things I eat is vegetarian intestines, which is quite good and has a real nice texture. But I always supposed that the imitation meat was designed for those who were trying not to eat meat for medical or health reasons, and not really for true vegetarians. Similarly, in China the whole mock-meat cuisine (including mock-eel, and mock-crab) developed around Buddhism, as a way of trying to entice more converts.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
Seems to me that you can have a healthy diet that includes meat, and an unhealthy vegetarian diet (full of snacks, limited variety, fried twinkies, etc.). Though I would assume that most vegetarians are fairly aware of what they eat, and eat pretty well.

Yeah, I see A LOT of people that label themselves as vegetarians that eat a lot of items like french fries, candy.... pretty much anything that doesn't have cheese, milk or meat in it. Most are actually quite thin, but I think I atribute that to the amount of portions they eat.

gromit wrote:
But I always supposed that the imitation meat was designed for those who were trying not to eat meat for medical or health reasons, and not really for true vegetarians.

I think that's pretty correct. Also adding to that are those that are trying to be vegetarians for social or acceptance reasons (or because it's the right thing to do) but really don't want to give up foods they like.

With my fiance's granddaughter, she likes all sorts of meat products, even though her dad doesn't want her eating meat. It makes it hard at our home to have to make two different types of meals, like if we have hamburgers, we have to feed her the vegetarian kind, which at 3 yrs old, she doesn't like. So when she wants a regular hamburger and she'll eat the entire thing without complaining, that's where the conflict comes into play.

If I were to go vegetarian, it would be all for health reasons. I can understand the ethics first, then environment then health scale of reasoning. And I really do have a concern for animals getting slaughtered and mistreatment and all of that. But I'll admit... i like a good steak or hamburger. I don't eat meat for every meal, but I would get tired of tofu and soy-made products for each and every meal where meat needs to be replaced with something that didn't come from a cow, steer or chicken.

I eat at least 4 salads a week. I've cut back on my fast food to places that only serve non-greasy foods (salads, sandwiches), but I can't imagine not having roast beef or grilled chicken on a sandwich or salad. Maybe a tuna sandwich or some other kind of fish, but that's about it.

As someone who's pretty liberal and political and into things like water conservation and recycling, I would find it hard for me personally to take my eating to that same level. At the same time, I do respect other's choices to alter the foods they choose to eat.

Last edited by chillywilly on Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

chillywilly
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
gromit wrote:
In China, vegetarian ham, duck and chicken are fairly common.

So what are these made from.. Soy? Tofu? Spinach?

I've had various tastes of vegetarian versions of meats and while some taste good, as I posted before, I've always wondered what goes into them to make them taste like ham or chicken.

marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't tell vegetarians or those asshole vegans what to eat and when they tell others what to eat they are just showing what kind of self-righteous fanatics they are.
whiskeypriest
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
Quote:
My question has always been this: what the hell are they putting in this stuff to make it taste like the real thing?

Solyent green.

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 20 May 2004 Posts: 6916 Location: "It's a Dry Heat."
I'm going to dinner with my wife tonight - AND I'M HAVING VEAL! SUCK ON IT, VEGANS!

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
whiskeypriest wrote:
Quote:

Solyent green.

LOL. You brought back not only images of Mr. Heston but also Phil Hartman from an SNL sketch.

"Soylent Green.... it's People!!!"

Marc
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I eat meat, but I draw the line at Veal and Foie Gras. I try to eat meat that is as cruelty free as possible. So, I eat mostly free range and organic. I do not eat large portions of meat. I eat meat almost as a condiment - on pizza or in an antipasto salad. I haven't eaten a a steak in years. I can't digest the stuff.
I was a vegetarian for almost 30 years. I felt great. My reasons for eating meat are mostly hedonistic. I love cured meats (salami etc.) and I enjoy a good charbroiled organic hamburger with one of those slim patties.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
We have these stores here called Wild Oats (which I'm sure are in other places as well) and just about all of their meat is free range and no hormones. We've been going there for all of our meat for a couple of years now and the taste is worth it alone. No weird tastes, the meat is fresher and it's nice to know it's as cruelty free as possible.

Last edited by chillywilly on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

marantzo
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm making myself a sirloin tip roast tonight with my special sauce and spices (ginger plays a major role). With the left over roast I'm going to make some Beef Szechuan stir fry vegetables with peanuts, down the road. The peanuts and vegetables are treated with multiple chemicals and shelled and picked by 9 year old slaves in the sub-Sahara. The beef comes from cattle that have been blown up with steroids and then butchered while still alive to enhance the flavour.

I am not suggesting that this is what you all should eat though. But I have to say that I feel so healthy, I could puke.
chillywilly
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Can't hep but laugh out loud from that post, marantzo.