Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  The Lobby

movielover14
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
chillywilly wrote:
Sad news about Steve Irwin. I liked him, even thought he could be annoying at times.

Shades of Grizzy Man? I don't think so. He seemed to have most of his berrings in place and came across as mostly stable. Anyone that does that much work out in the wild for that long is going to have some oddness to them, but he seemed pretty normal to me.

It's a loss the outdoor world will miss.

I know that was very shocking to hear! I can't believe he died! I kind of liked his show when me and my mom had Animal Planet.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
I got to know Steve Irwin through his guest spots with The Wiggles, that Austrailian musical group my kids watched incessantly for a few years. He has two young kids who'll never see him again. Very sad.

You could almost imagine this as the death of choice for Irwin, the same way we all like to paint our future death in bold colours, but of course he probably pictured himself as a 95-year-old stingray victim.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention it's a very strange accident that he should have been stung and that the sting should have been lethal. He could not have thought he was taking his life into his hands in this instance.

-Topher
gromit
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:19 am Reply with quote
From just reading around the Net a bit, it sounds like carelessness or poor planning contributed to Irwin's death. From what I read, he had decided only the day before to add a segment on stingrays to his next show. The cameraman was in front filming, while Irwin was above the ray, no doubt making the ray feel trapped and threatened. It was shallow water which feels safer to humans but makes the ray more vulnerable. One expert added that this was tiger shark season, when the stingrays are on heightened alert because of the danger. And being directly above a ray is the most dangerous spot, because that is how they defend. They are bottom feeders that whip their tail straight up and strike.

I have no idea of the visual acuity of a stingray, but Irwin probably looked like a tiger shark moving in for the kill. Would be very cool if Irwin could have captured a stingray defending itself and killing a tiger shark. [wonder how long until the Irwin death video makes it on to the internet]

Maybe he knew what he was doing, but it just sounds like it was hastily carried out and not well-planned. Unlucky to die, but it sounds like his chances of getting stabbed with a poison dart were not so low. At least they don't go hunt down and kill the stingray, like they do with bears that have killed people.

Btw, Irwin was famous enough in Australia to have been friends with the Foreign Minister.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
There have been, what, three deaths by stingrays in the history of Australia? He couldn't have realized the jeapardy, and had the sting not gotten up under his rip cage and thus penetrated his heart directly, his life would not have been threatened. It does not sound to me as careless as you are implying.

Quote:
They are bottom feeders that whip their tail straight up and strike.

There's a joke to be mined from this statement.

-Topher
jeremy
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/australia/story/0,,1865085,00.html

Australia's mixed feeling on Steve Irwin and a 'obituary' in the same paper by fellow Aussie, Germaine Greer, made we wince with its ill-timed vitriol.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Did anyone say, "Welcome back Mr. Brownstone?"

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
I did, over in another forum. Good to see Tim back.

Trish
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
mo_flixx wrote:
billy's pet actress Vera Farmiga made the COVER of the Sun. NYT magazine!!

Just saw her in Running Scared - which I have to say with all the hype here -didn't even come close to living up yo expectations - the dialogue was silly - but it was watchable - I guess

However, I heard Vera was good in Down to the Bone - hope to see that on DVD some time
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote
Jere & Chills:

Thanks! No welcome back is necessary, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I mentioned this in a couple private emails from inquiring forumites, but I just wanted to emphasize that my most recent absence was due to nothing but the fact that I've been uber-busy and I just couldn't even get to the forum, let alone contribute much of substance.

But then I saw Little Miss Sunshine in the theatre, and just watched Blow and Kill Bill on DVD and North Dallas Forty on HBO, so I felt inspired.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
Trish
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
This is pretty funny (and clever)

http://www.fametracker.com/blue_moons/misc_cage_hair.php
ehle64
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
chillywilly wrote:
He seemed to have most of his berrings in place and came across as mostly stable.

Doesn't anyone remember that weird baby incident? I thought the guy was incredibly annoying and cutesy for cute's sake. Tragic, yet somehow not surprising.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
ehle64 wrote:
chillywilly wrote:
He seemed to have most of his berrings in place and came across as mostly stable.

Doesn't anyone remember that weird baby incident? I thought the guy was incredibly annoying and cutesy for cute's sake. Tragic, yet somehow not surprising.

I had forgotton about the baby incident. That was where he veered away from the "mostly stable" part.

ehle64
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
hehehe

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I found a certain poetic justice in Steve Irwin's demise -- a man who builds a career on teasing wild animals getting stung by one. Frankly, I find this whole media craze about bothering animals, provoking animals, getting into wrestling matches with animals, etc. pretty disgusting. If you want attention, go climb a sheer rock face without ropes, or jump your motorcycle over a line of semis, or whatever. But leave the creatures alone.