Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  It's Not TV -- It's HBO!

billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Billy - Thanks. And without giving anything away. There is a little surprise in it just for you.

You know, I guess I missed the episode. It's not scheduled. Will check the website.
Marj
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh no! I take it you don't have ON DEMAND?
billyweeds
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Marj wrote:
Oh no! I take it you don't have ON DEMAND?

Right, I don't. I will try to find it somehow.
Marj
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I really hope you can. I promise you won't be sorry.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I've missed a couple months, but has anyone been watching the Katrina pieces on HBO?

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
marantzo
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote
Hi Tim. To answer your question...no. I don't watch stuff like that generally. That's not a judgement on my part, it's just a preference. It has got some very good comments.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
Oh. Just checking.

Hi, back, Gary!

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
ehle64
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
A few of us, (shannon & myself, included) watched and commented a little on it in Home Viewing Toodles.

Pretty powerfull stuff.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
Thanks, wade.

I'll check it out so I don't Groundhog Day the discussion.

mo_flixx
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if you all are aware that TCM will be showing Russ Meyer this week:

MUDHONEY & FASTER PUSSYCAT, KILL KILL!
Earl
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Longford

Jim Broadbent plays the title character in Longford and he's never been better cast, which, given the range of roles he's played in the many varied movies which span his career, is really, really saying something. His performance as Lord Longford appears to fit him perfectly, as if this was something he was born to do. There he is, totally immersed in character and effortlessly drawing us into this story of a member of the House of Lords who takes up the cause of a notorious serial killer.

The story was written by Peter Morgan, who also wrote The Queen and the two scripts share a similar structure. Each examines a critical period of recent British history and concerns a man and woman who are miles apart at the beginning and gradually move towards eachother as the plot progresses.

The Queen took some criticism for focusing too much on Queen Elizabeth and giving short shrift to Tony Blair. It's a valid point, but not one which seriously hurt that movie. Perhaps the same charge could be levelled at Longford for revealing too little about the serial killer, effectively and creepily played by Samantha Morton. But in this story it works well because it puts us in the same position as Lord Longford. We always have the same information about her that he does, never more. We have to decide along with him every step of the way if he's doing the right thing.

HBO is running it this month and it's highly recommended.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review Earl. I've been meaning to see Longford and just haven't gotten around to it. But now, you've made me really want to see it and soon!
Marj
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Now I have seen Longford and I agree with Earl's review. Not only is Jim Broadbent wonderful, this is a truly fascinating story.

Fascinating is the extent Lord Longford went to in his attempt to be of some aid to prisoners even those considered to be the most horrendous. I did some research and learned that Lady Longford was a well known biographer in her own right and their children included Antonia Fraser. In fact all of their children became well known authors.

Longford was a respected and wealthy man, who had served in the House of Lords. His altruistism was never based on anything but his desire to help. It would eventually cost him his seat in Parliament, especially due to his involvement with Myra Hindly.

But see the film for yourself. If for no other reason to see Broadbent at his finest.
Earl
Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Marj,

It's great that you liked Longford. It got a little press when HBO premiered it a couple weeks ago, but not so much any more.

Also, I neglected to mention what an impressive performance Andy Serkis gave as Ian Brady, Myra's partner in crime. Serkis was able to convey Brady's physical menace while just sitting in a chair and talking.

I hadn't heard that about Lady Longford. What I did read after seeing the movie was that Lord Longford apparently dressed even more shabbily in real life than the movie portrayed while she always looked impeccable. I think the director commented that they had to "clean him up a little" to make it seem realistic to the viewer that the two could have been married.

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Earl,

I hadn't heard that but it made me laugh. And I too loved Serkis. He was the perfect menace.

Here's some of the background I found on Lady Elisabeth Longford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Longford