Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Television  ~  So what's on...?

billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:41 am Reply with quote
William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger were always the only two reasons I ever watched CSI. The show itself is quite monotonous for the reasons amusingly outlined above by bart.

Aside from being interesting (albeit overqualified) actors, Petersen and Helgenberger have something in common with me. Love it. No hints, just use your eyes.

(signed) Weeden
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote
William Petersen and Marg Helgenberger were always the only two reasons I ever watched CSI. The show itself is quite monotonous for the reasons amusingly outlined above by bart.

Aside from being interesting (albeit overqualified) actors, Petersen and Helgenberger have something in common with me. Love it. No hints, just use your eyes.

(signed) Weeden
billyweeds
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:43 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post. Why (since I'm the moderator) can't I edit?
mo_flixx
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:

(signed) Weeden

However, Petersen begins to get a bit orgasmic when he plays with his bugs.

As to the Grissom/Sara chemistry, IMO there is zilch. I don't get it. It could even mean the kiss of death for CSI, if it's not handled right.
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:

You're right Billy, I can see it. Petersen is on the short side and you are a dead ringer for Helgenberger.
Melody
Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
billyweeds wrote:
Sorry for the double post. Why (since I'm the moderator) can't I edit?

Billy, check with Marj or Ehle -- I don't know for sure since I'm not a moderator, but I believe you have an "edit" option available to you for the forums you oversee. By checking this option, it would enable all of us to edit our posts in the TV section. Which would be very cool.

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Billy,

For some reason, Lorne may not have given you the delete and edit options. It was probably an oversight. Just ask Lorne, and he'll give them to you.

On the off chance you do have them, they would be right next to the "quote" button in the upper right of each post. And if you're still not sure, look at the lower right on each page. It should say whether you can modrate or not.
lulu
Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
William Peterson was wonderful in the original Red Dragon, called Manhunter. His portray of Will Graham was right on the mark and the remake was positively dreadful. He is a great, underrated actor who is wasted on CSI, which got boring after the first season. I mean, since when do Crime Units search for clues, analyze them, run down suspects and grill them. leaving the detectives to twiddle their thumbs. And considering there are more than several cases per day in any given city, there must be quite a huge staff.

I accept it's fantasyland but fantasy will ony go so far with me. Another reason I liked to watch CSI was seeing Scott Wilson as Helgenberger's father. I wish I would see more of this fine actor.
Earl
Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Patricia Wettig and John Billingsley are both bolting from Prison Break to work on other shows. (She played the V.P. who became Prez at season's end; he played her brother who is believed by the outside world to be dead.) Wonder how the writers will manage to explain their absence when the next season begins. They seemed pretty integral to the plot, but this show has certainly done more preposterous things before. Also leaving will be the actress who plays Maricruz, Sucre's wife.

Wettig's departure is also noteworthy because her husband, Ken Olin, is a producer of Prison Break. Fans of Thirtysomething might remember him as one of the stars of that show.

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Wettig was on "Thirtysomething" too, right? I never watched it, but the stars had their moment in the gossip columns.

I hope the departure of Tina Fey from Saturday Night Live doesn't mean the show now slumps entirely into a boys' frat party. The talented ones (and some untalented ones as well) leave to make movies, and the rest dwindle down into sophomoric silliness. If Will Forte leaves, I'm switching off.
bart
Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I missed the first several eps of Prison Break, so always had a bit of trouble with Wettig and her whole agenda in terms of backstory. Some sort of evil power grab -- I got enough to follow the later episodes, anyway. Based on my incomplete knowledge of the series, I don't think it tracked her end of the story enough to make me miss her.

Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
I'm excited about new Simpsons episodes in September!! The new episode will be on September 10th! It will start the 17th season!! Metallica will be the guest voices on that episode too!! I can't wait!!! Very Happy Cool

Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I hated Thirtysomething even before the first episode aired. From the onset, I was irritated by the premise or lack of one. Why would I be interested in watching a a babble of baby boomers searching for some meaning in their lives and plotting a course through a succession of minor crises? Has their ever been a more self-obsessed generation, who, by dint of their self-affirming numbers, feel free to foist their concerns on the rest of us, oblivious to the fact that we don't give a shit. No wonder the Generation Xers turned out the way they did. There parents were too far up their own arses...

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Joe Vitus
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
I liked thirtysomething quite a bit at the time. Never has a show premiered with such negative critical response, yet gone on to such popularity. However, I do not think the show would hold up now. The impressive/innovative elements, such as the fantasy sequences or the way scenes would be shot unrealistically (though they weren't fantasies, they were actually occurences) to bring out either the mood or tone of the moment, or how one particular character was reacting to the experience, have probably been so far exceeded that now the show would look pretentious and empty: striving too hard.

Back then, I thought it was one of the few shows trying to deal with life. I liked that the characters could be annoying and/or self-centered. I liked that the show explored, regularly, questions of lost idealism, and when or if you are lying to yourself. The impressive way they showed Nancy dealing with cancer (she went through a morbid humor phase at one point, and when a shoe salesman told her a pair of shoes would last her a lifetime, she burst out laughing, telling him he should have a better offer than that; her friends cringed, not knowing how to respond). Oh yeah, and Ken Olin was hot. Shots of Michael coming out of the shower greatly enlivened my late pubescent years.

I never missed an episode.

-Topher
bart
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
Wasn't a regular watcher, but enjoyed some episodes -- more for vignettes than as part of some ongoing storyline. I liked Miles, the sarcastic ad exec.