Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Music & Theatre  ~  Rock n' Roll, Rap n' Crap

Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote
I like Crazy Bitch because the lyrics are so obviously & explicitly vulgar - they're not even pretending to be clever:

"You're a crazy bitch but you fuck so good on top of me"

This is not a lyric. This is something you whisper in the ear of a girl you just brought home from the bar.

It's stupid. Hence, awesome.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. Brownstone wrote:
I like Crazy Bitch because the lyrics are so obviously & explicitly vulgar - they're not even pretending to be clever:

"You're a crazy bitch but you fuck so good on top of me"

This is not a lyric. This is something you whisper in the ear of a girl you just brought home from the bar.

It's stupid. Hence, awesome.

Word.... or at least a few of them.

bart
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote
Never post in here, but have a question -- can anyone say they actually followed (correctly) the lyrics of Down on the Corner, without printed assistance? Just curious. The actual words are provided below:

DOWN ON THE CORNER

Early in the evenin'
just about supper time,
over by the courthouse,
they're starting to unwind,

four kids on the corner,
trying to bring you up,
Willy picks a tune out
and he blows it on the harp.

Down on the corner,
out in the street,
Willy and the Poorboys are playin'
bring a nickel, tap your feet.

Rooster hits the washboard,
and people just gotta smile,
Blinky thumps the gut bass
and solos for awhile.
Poor-boy twangs the rhythm out
on his Kalamazoo
And Willy goes into a dance
and doubles on Kazoo.

Down on the corner,
out in the street,

You don't need a penny
just to hang around,
but if you got a nickel
won't you lay your money down.
Over on the corner,
there's a happy noise,
people come from all around
to watch the magic boy.

[ fade ]

Down on the corner,
out in the street,

(My early hearings of this song were highly speculative "down on the corner an' rowdy in the street, see the poor boy playing, playing a guitar can't be beat....")

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why people are so big on singer/songwriters? Eric Clapton doesn't write his songs but is huge; Richard Thompson doesn't and he's a cult figure. (Personally I'll take RT over EC but not just because he writes his song; his music is so varied and he's a brilliant guitarist). Raitt doesn't write most of her songs; she's wonderful. Ditto Emmylou!

Sinatra wrote very few songs; but a truly fantastic performer.

It just saddens me that people like Emmylou, RT, Kasey Chambers get little airtime on today's pathetic radio stations. Older people, like moi, get shut out. It's not that I don't like newer singers but there are so many great and talented performers out there that don't get heard.

Forget classical; oprea and lieder are like poison on the airwaves and it's a fight to keep the Met on the air. If it weren't for my cable, I wouldn[t hear classical/opera at all. The classical music stations have banned singers and opera. And you are lucky if you get a complete work instead of a movement. There is NPR. And PBS has gone down the tubes regarding ballet, opera. classical. Ditto Bravo, A&E, TNT.

Jeez, I feel a rant coming on about the dumbing of America and the airwaves. Mad
unohoo
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:20 am Reply with quote
lulu- I think people like thinking that they know more of an artist when they write/perform their own songs. The connection between artist/audience seems more authentic and everyone wants to participate in something that has a little more heft than songs about 'strangers in the night'.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I just realized I only heard 5% of Brownstone's singles list. I'm either out of touch or blisfully ignorant.

Anyway I went over to pitchfork just to see if there's still a healthy disconnect between what I feel about a disc and what they write, and it was. They gave Busta Rhymes new album something like a 2.4 which I didn't totally understand if you have ears. I mean I understand that Busta is a vet and he isn't doing the same things anymore, but on a production standpoint alone the album could get a 7 out of 10, even the non-standout cuts standout.

I picked up AC/DC's "Back In Black" a few weeks ago. I listen to it now outside of the fear of becoming a Satan worshiper. Friggin' rocks. Might get enough balls to check out the Wolfmother too. Or maybe I should stick with all the old bands I was too scared to listen to back then and buy some Black Sabbath. These new cats is p*ssy.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
unohoo wrote:
I picked up AC/DC's "Back In Black" a few weeks ago. I listen to it now outside of the fear of becoming a Satan worshiper. Friggin' rocks. Might get enough balls to check out the Wolfmother too. Or maybe I should stick with all the old bands I was too scared to listen to back then and buy some Black Sabbath. These new cats is p*ssy.

BACK IN BLACK is a great album. It's one of several that I've always deemed as listenable from start to finish, without skipping any tracks. Even HIGHWAY TO HELL, there were a couple of tracks I skipped over. But back in 1980, when the album came out, BACK IN BLACK was in constant cassette rotation in my stereo.

As for WOLFMOTHER, I can't recommend them enough. A vintage sound, crossed between Led Zep and Sabbath, but with a modern yearning. They also rock big time live.

Just picked up HEAVEN and HELL yesterday at the new F.Y.E. stores they just opened here in Utah (replaced the now defunct Media Play chain, at least here in Utah). They are having a huge sale on older titles and picked it up for $9.99. While I've always liked Ozzy and have followed him since leaving Sabbath in 1979, Ronnie James Dio worked very well with the three remaining members of the band and made you feel good about an album with only 8 songs on it.

movielover14
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
I love Wolfmother! They are one of my favorite bands now. They were really cool in concert. I like the lead singer Andrew Stockdale's voice and hair. I like how he has that big curly afro. Wink

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
I can't like a band called Wolfmother anymore than I could Iron Maiden or Battleaxe . I made the last one up, but for all I know it could be real. Any band inspired by a dungeons and dragons, damsels in distress ethos have nothing to say to me. Call it prejudice, but...

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I assume you don't dig Led Zeppelin, either, then?

A lot of their lyrics have a D&D quality to them.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Or Black Sabbath or Blue Oyster Cult or all manner of other bands, metal or rock that used images of some dark subject or practice.

unohoo
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
I kind of prefer the more morbidly titled bands as opposed to All American Rejects or The Shins or, actually I like The Killers as a band name but man do they suck.

I picked up Nelly Furtado's Loose based on Timbaland's involvement and her video for Promiscuous. Looks like the powers that be have figured out she was hot and they played that up this time around, can't say it didn't work on me 'cause before this she was just a lil cute non-singin' chic who I wasn't paying attention to. Now she's a sexy non-singnin' chic with Timbaland production who has convinced me to part dollars for her latest disc. Can't say I'm mad about it, 'cause; 1) she's hot 2) the disc is pretty good. Not only did Timbaland get lean when he started lifting weights, but his production is a lot leaner too. He used to be the king of adding little bleeps and blips, and hiccups here and there in his music, but his approach lately has been somewhat minimalist compared to his music maybe six or seven years ago. He's much more to the point, and Nelly's voice is good enough to hit all the notes necessary to make the song fun to sing along to. It loses some steam by the time you get to the end, but the fun songs are too fun to dismiss. I guess this is why Itunes exists.

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Syd Barret is dead.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2265034,00.html

I like about half of the Nelly Furtado album. There's a gawdawful ballad on it.
marantzo
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Remember way back when we were talking about rap/hip hop and I mentioned that I really liked Coolio's Gangster's Paradise? Well I can't really credit that genre for it anymore. I just found out when I heard some cuts from Songs In the Key of Life, that it's a Stevie Wonder song. The words are different, but that's the song.
chillywilly
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Pretty sad. Although I really think most people thought he lived much longer than expected. R.I.P. Syd