Third Eye Film Society Forum Index

<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Tim,

I think the Revenge of the Nerds mode must have come on after I left. Thought it was pretty cool that you had all those groupies there. But then, that's what nude scenes can do for you (sometimes it pays to advertize). I hadn't hung out with actors in about a decade, so it was kind of like coming home.

Any show you do in this state, I'm so there.

-Topher
marantzo
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I used to have groupies.

No, those were guppies. Never mind.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Joe.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
lady wakasa
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 5911 Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
I got out of jury duty (well, the state's been shut down) and I *still* missed the retreat-cum-Superman outing Monday because there was an emergency and I got stuck fixing it. Alone. Everyone else got to go.

Work, it doth suck.

Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
Stephanie Zacharek :
Gore Verbinski's overstuffed "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest." There's no real plot here: just a collection of ostensibly thrilling situations strung together with tenuous bits of expository dialogue. The characters most of us were probably hoping to see in action together -- chiefly, Johnny Depp's louche-sexy pirate Jack Sparrow and Keira Knightley's feisty adventuress Elizabeth Swann -- barely pass in the night, or even during the day. And although the characters seem to be in motion nearly every minute, the picture is curiously low on swordplay and anything that might pass for swashbuckling. It rushes at us from all directions at once; it's often so busy we hardly know where to look.
Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Dana Stevens (Slate) :
It would take more than just one bottle of rum to while away the 150-minute running time of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Disney). The movie itself is a kind of treasure chest, albeit one so crammed with baroque visuals and tangled chains of plot that you have to sift through its overabundant contents in search of the odd pearl.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
Quote:
Mr. Bloom, as is his custom, leaps about, trying to overcome his incurable blandness, and is upstaged by special effects, musical cues, octopus tentacles and pieces of wood.

From the review in the NYT. It may may not be that witty, but it's still a resounding ouch!

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
jeremy
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 6794 Location: Derby, England and Hamilton, New Zealand (yes they are about 12,000 miles apart)
The contrast between Clark Kent the socially challenged geek and Superman the superhero was the driver for much of the humour in the first two films.

I know beauty and I know a good thing when I see it.
Ghulam
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote
Very positive reviews from the NYT and Salon for the Charlotte Rampling starrer Heading South about older well-off white women buying sex in a Haitian resort from teenage black boys.
Trish
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quote
lshap wrote:
The Hulk is too ugly to get any women so he sublimates his anger into crapping solidified magma and piercing space time.

Pity the fool.

LOL!!! however imagining the Big green guy eventually morphing back into a sweaty naked male resembling Eric Bana might win him a few female admirers
bart
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
I hear tell there's a real sci-fi film coming down the pipe, "Sunshine" by Danny Boyle, the director who did 28 Days Later and Trainspotting. The sun overheats or needs some kind of repair, so astronauts are dispatched to fly near it, or into it, and fix things.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder what kind of preposterous scientifically created suit or spaceship they'll dream up to make such a thing possible
Befade
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Robert Downey, Jr. was on The View promoting A Scanner Darkly. It looked good. BB Walters and co. made fools of themselves with him. BB kept saying she hadn't seen the movie but heard it was very strange and people should go see it. Downey looked good.......I hear he's writing a memoir.

Bart.........This is Philip K. Dick, you know.
chillywilly
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Befade wrote:
Robert Downey, Jr. was on The View promoting A Scanner Darkly. It looked good. BB Walters and co. made fools of themselves with him. BB kept saying she hadn't seen the movie but heard it was very strange and people should go see it. Downey looked good.......I hear he's writing a memoir.

The View.... what a joke. I guess when you are promoting a movie, you don't have much of a choice in what shows you pimp it to.

I've seen the preview for this movie... it does look like it will be a good movie. That, and Robert Downey Jr. is a good actor.

Syd
Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 21 May 2004 Posts: 12887 Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Trish wrote:
I wonder what kind of preposterous scientifically created suit or spaceship they'll dream up to make such a thing possible

David Brin had one in his novel Sundiver that transformed the excess heat into light. I forget how he got around the second law of thermodynamics.