<  Third Eye Film Forums  ~  Current Film Talk

Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
Where the hell have you been?

-Topher
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
"Silver Surfer would fuck them all up."

I KNEW somebody would bring that bullshit up.

The Hulk almost broke the Surfer's board in half back in the day.

The only way the Silver Surfer could feign off a Hulk attack was to use his Power Cosmic to change the Hulk back into Bruce Banner, which as far as I'm concerned is straight up cheating.

Hulk is strongest one there is.

You've been served.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
I liked Emily's character as well, even though she was frosty and cold, her role was well cast.

The rules of support vs. backstabbing were portrayed well, which according to several reviews and articles I'd read about the movie, closely followed the book.

As for other new releases, I'm going to play cathup after this weekend (going to Calif. from Friday to Sunday) with Superman and Pirates II.

lshap
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2004 Posts: 4246 Location: Montreal
Joe,

Where've I been? Good question. Damned if I know. This entire year has been one weird trip.
chillywilly
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Wel, it's good to see you, Lorne.

Seen any good movies lately?

lshap
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Saw Superman over the weekend.

It's like an old friend who's still stuck in the 70's. Superman's dated. The film world has evolved by way of Spiderman, Batman and X-Men, but Superman got left behind in the linear dimension of good verses evil. He's just too limited as a uber-hero, and he's not complex enough as Clark Kent. And trying to make him campy won't work either.

The poor guy means well, and this film has some awesome special effects to make the thing an entertaining night out, but the downside of being the strongest super hero is that it makes you the weakest character. I mean, barring all that kryptonite shit, the guy can crush anything and can shake off a supernova. So where's the conflict? That's the problem with the film. Not much conflict, and no inner conflict at all. He comes close to having a personality with the whole unrequited love for Lois Lane. I can feel for him. But where's the lust, where's the broken rules, where's the stupid immature shit that characterizes a real ache? Answer: nowhere, 'cause, well, being Superman he's too upstanding for that.

I guess that's what was missing - I was waiting for Superman to show some passion, but the one part of his body that's not steel is between his legs.
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The Hulk's cack is made of solidified magma that could pierce a hole in the space-time continuum.

Score another point for the Strongest One There Is.

"My name is Gunnery Sergeant Major Highway. And I have drunk more beer, pissed more blood, banged more quiff and knocked more skulls than all you numbnuts put together." - Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge
lshap
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
The Hulk is too ugly to get any women so he sublimates his anger into crapping solidified magma and piercing space time.

Pity the fool.
lshap
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
By the way, Tim, I mostly kept up with your summer theatre gig. Great reviews, and the play looked amazing. Most important, I hope the experience was as great for you as it seemed.

And how cool is it to have had one of those super hero team-ups with Joe!
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm Superman to his Hulk.

Lorne,

The original comics had this wonderful jocular air. Superman knew he was ridiculously stronger than anyone else (and that despite not being able to fly yet, and a bursting shell could tear his skin), and he had a wisecracking attitude. He was also really into social justice, fighting off a lynch mob or scaring a crooked plutocrat into providing the men who worked in his mines with safe conditions. The thrill was "imagine you could do this to." I think having lost this at some point in the 40's, the character lost a lot of his charm.

-Topher
Joe Vitus
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
But really, we know Canadians are naturally obsequious and bow out for long periods of time because they have nothing of interest to add. But come on, we miss you. Show up a little more often, please.

-Topher
Mr. Brownstone
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Lorne:

It's really good to see you posting here, however brief and/or intermittent.

Thanks for the good vibes & wishes on Take Me Out - we had a blast. There's some streaming video I may be able to post someday so you can see me in full Hulk mode. They apparently are considering including A Streetcar Named Desire in their next season specifically so I can play Stanley, which is a tremendous honor. I had a ball down there and would go back in a second.

Meeting Joe was awesome - we had a great dinner & discussion, but I felt a little bad once he came back to my place and I went into full-on Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds mode.

I'm not clear on exactly why you've been away from the forums - has something been up? Something good, I hope?

Marc, I just realized my only comment on your piece was to make a joke - just wanted to pass on my respect and best wishes for you. Hope Taos takes your message to the best part of its heart.

movielover14
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Mar 2006 Posts: 160 Location: Salt Lake City,Utah
i can't wait to see the second Pirates of the Caribbean this Friday. I'm really excited about it. I really liked the first one so I think I will definatly like the second one.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think having lost this at some point in the 40's, the character lost a lot of his charm.

It went into the 50's, but you are right about the change in persona. Nobody ever mentions Captain Marvel, unfortunatelly stopped from publishing by the men behind Superman (a stupid ruling). Captain Marvel was terrific. Very funny and a super hero who was a bit of a goof, with an even goofier sidekick. The bads guys used to refer to Marvel as the big red cheese. Or was it orange?

Shazam!
Nancy
Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
movielover14 wrote:
i can't wait to see the second Pirates of the Caribbean this Friday. I'm really excited about it. I really liked the first one so I think I will definatly like the second one.

I can't wait for it either. BTW, the next Happy Meal toys are from Pirates. I want a Cthulhu. (They may call him Davy Jones, but we know better.)

Isaacism, 2009